Forums Latest Members
  1. bernarddevos Feb 28, 2017

Hi guys,
    I am not a regular here since I am above all an Heuer Autavia collector.
    Some may know me as a regular seller and buyer on Chronotrader.
    Interesting to mention is that I recently caught a new virus called "Omega Speedmaster".

Anyway, yesterday I bought some pieces from a Speedmaster ref. 105.012-65.
    The lot consisted of the case with pushers and crown, the case-back with the reference inside, the anti
    -magnetic cap and the DON bezel. The dot above the 90 isn't visible anymore but I still think it's a DON based on the placement of the dot at 70.

I made some pics to share with you guys hoping to get some interesting feedback from the several experts on this forum. In fact I don't know yet if I can use the pieces to make this a complete watch. For that I would still need to find a correct 321 movement with the right serial and a correct dial. Calibre 321 hands I have. I am used to Heuer projects but not to Speedmaster projects.

So all the help, ideas or remarks are welcome.
    Btw, I am not sure if the pushers are correct for the 105.012-65 model.

Best regards,
    Bernard
    DSC_0478.jpg DSC_0479.jpg DSC_0480.jpg DSC_0483.jpg DSC_0484.jpg DSC_0485.jpg DSC_0487.jpg DSC_0488.jpg DSC_0490.jpg DSC_0493.jpg DSC_0496.jpg DSC_0497.jpg DSC_0498.jpg DSC_0503.jpg

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 28, 2017

FWIW - unless you have another 105 sitting around in need of parts, this is going to be an expensive experience. I don't know what you paid for the parts but by the time you are done with the project, you will probably spend close to what it would cost to buy a similar condition complete watch. Importantly, unless you are able to source a movement out of the same reference watch (and dial, hands,etc.,) your watch will a franken watch worth much less than a correct example.

Davidt, emilio, bernarddevos and 2 others like this.
  3. brunik Feb 28, 2017

that was a find!!!

Will be a nice but difficult project IMHO

bernarddevos likes this.
  4. richardew Feb 28, 2017

Now the hard part. Finding a matching 321 movement, dial and bezel. There were other watches that used the c321 besides the speedy so there's a good chance that your c321 won't match a 105.012-65. I think the hard part is going to be finding a dial and bezel that won't blow the budget.

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 28, 2017

I'd personally recommend selling the lot as is, or sell the bezel alone and the case parts together. There are people in need of these, but finding the right movement and dial and hands is going to be near impossible.

Davidt, Jwit, Joe K. and 1 other person like this.
  6. dbane007 Feb 28, 2017

If you really want to use it, you might want to start looking for a completely beat up 105-65 that has a damaged case/caseback . Use the dial and c321 and part out what's left.

bernarddevos likes this.
  7. marturx Feb 28, 2017

I cannot see anything attractive in this lot. Nothing to start a project with, with any possibility of success. Pass it on as parts, as @oddboy suggests

KstateSkier, Davidt, Joe K. and 3 others like this.
  8. bernarddevos Feb 28, 2017

Hi Marturx, I agree with you that finishing this project successfully will be hard but believe I have done other project nobody believed in. Secondly, I don't agree with your remark there is nothing attractive in the lot. I love the bezel, the case is stunning and the case-back is not that bad. Maybe you only love mint watches and can't appreciate parts that have had a life. That is your good right of course.

gminnj likes this.
  9. bernarddevos Feb 28, 2017

Bezel? There is a bezel my friend and I am crazy about it. :)

10. robocaspar Feb 28, 2017

It won't be easy but if you have the funds and patience to wait for the right parts, it'll turn out alright

11. noiseboyuk Feb 28, 2017

I guess it all depends on whether the watch deserves to be restored for your own pleasure or as a sales item.
    There is a great satisfaction in 'rescuing' an otherwise defunct watch particularly when correct parts are hard to find.
    Of course, sometimes it will never come to fruition - but it's great when it does.
    Conversely, I suspect there are perfectly good watches now being split for parts for profit.
    Very sad for a true watch enthusiast.

12. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 28, 2017

If you decide to move forward with the project I have a dial for you ;)

Jwit likes this.
  13. michaelmc Feb 28, 2017

Well, I've started with less. Long term project unless you get lucky. I have two 66' that have correct movement etc. but it's been over a year
    working them into shape and still working on the movements. Good luck.

bernarddevos likes this.
  14. bernarddevos Feb 28, 2017

That's the spirit I like. I once worked over a year on an Heuer Diver 100 I found on Ebay for 1900 euros. The result was great even though people told me I would never find the correct hands for it. It's all about dedication and patience.

15. michaelmc Feb 28, 2017

exactly, that the fun of the hunt & proving you're crazy enough to go against the flow ie. Heuer's will not be worth anything, UG's are dogs :)
    LOL.

16. marturx Feb 28, 2017

The case, or at least the caseback, has been heavily polished. That is, if you ask me, not = a watch that have had a life. In my book it's a watch that has been abused, and that is IMO not attractive.

I really don't mind watches that have natural wearmarks, even heavy such. But your case is something different.

But each and everyone is entitled to his own opinion, and I wish you good luck with your project. Myself I wouldn't waste my time and money in it.

17. dbane007 Feb 28, 2017

Wow! Giddyup!

18. Ravineman Feb 28, 2017

You will be working on this for a long time so have fun ! Take your time.

19. CesarCO Mar 2, 2017

Hello Bernard. I too enjoy projects like this, something rewarding about brining back to life, wonderful watches like this. It would certainly be a difficult challenge but nothing impossible. Believe me, I have been there and succeeded! Keep us posted.

Cheers

bernarddevos likes this.
  20. Badwolf Mar 2, 2017

Could be the basis for a custom project, plenty of other dials would work, and a later movement would do a job for now. The correct parts could be added at a later date.

Best of luck with the search

bernarddevos likes this.