Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Reduced. What do you think about this example?

1. fred.zueri Aug 9, 2019

7BD7681D-44A0-4AF5-8E97-46E7C51DB211.jpeg C90032DF-D627-4C1E-A5B3-F8BAD31D82FC.jpeg 1880C681-0786-4CA1-AD6B-DA2A355F49F1.jpeg ED5E1A93-DAE1-4467-91D6-E9D0D0333D2C.jpeg 6E47CC0D-D6B4-48FB-8B79-FDA76157013A.jpeg Hi All

Posting again to get some advice from the experts. After gettin great advice on the forum and buying a Seamaster 120 I would like to have as well a Speedmaster reduced.
    I found an example online from 1990. The watch was fully serviced last year; glas, hands, crown and pushers were replaced with original Omega parts).
    My question; is it bad that this pieces were replaced, or are they exactly the same as the old ones?
    What do you think would be a fair price? Seller is asking for 1650 USD. Full service was about 650 USD. Watch vomes with papers but no box.
    As always thanks again for the advice!

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 9, 2019

Who did the service? With one of those it’s the condition of the movement, not the crown, pushers and crystal that would worry me. Omega routinely swap out the modular movement at service time. Some other third party repairers service only the time components and leave the chrono module as it is. Some do both and yet more refuse to do these at all. If the chrono module was left alone then it could prove problematic down the road.

Note the service card you show is dated 1995 so I assume you are referring to a more recent service.

ps The 51m serial on the card should be stamped on the outside of the caseback. Check because it’s nowhere else on the watch so if it’s not there, the card is meaningless.

Edited Aug 9, 2019
  3. fred.zueri Aug 9, 2019

Ok thx for the input. I will check with the seller regarding the serial number stamped on the outside of the caseback.

Forgot the picture of the last service (see below).
    Not sure if I understood the first part the right way; how can I make sure that everything is allright with the movement?

As well, what us a fair price point in your opinion? 35D84CC2-E3EB-4461-8536-D2685DA8B245.jpeg

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 9, 2019

I don't know that repair outfit, are they German or Swiss maybe? Maybe another contributor can offer a testimonial? The paperwork doesn't really give any information regarding what was done so it is difficult to say whether they did a comprehensive job or not. As I say, the majority of aftermarket watchmakers won't disassemble the Dubois Depraz module which sits on top of the ETA 2890 (or 2892) and provides the chrono features. Those guys may have done so or maybe they have not. It would be worth finding out if there are an Omega accredited repair organisation, if so they likely swapped it out and all is well, if not then who knows. Looking at the paperwork though it seems unlikely that they are Omega accredited.

As to the price, well if the service was done properly then it doesn't sound too far over the top. If not then it is overpriced by the cost of a proper service, ie $600-700. It is the service issues that make the Reduced models much less popular than the integrated chronograph movement watches like the Speedy Pro etc and it is the reason you see many of them offered on ebay at tempting prices, since so many need an expensive service.

5. fred.zueri Aug 9, 2019

795BF09F-8E58-46B5-8521-BFDF5389ECC2.jpeg Just checked. It was serviced in Switzerland and actually they are certified as well for Omega (Servicestufe 3, whatever that means).
    So I guess it was a proper service, which as well explains the rather high service cost of 650 CHF.
    As well it is mentioned that they only use Original pieces from Omega.
    The watch has still garanty until end of September 2019.

Thanks a lot for the insights, was not aware that there were so many issues with older Speedmaster Reduced.

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 9, 2019

If they are accredited then you are probably fine, one running right is a nice thing. The issues with compound chronograph watches aren't limited to Omega, many other manufacturers made them (some still do) and all have similar issues. I have had my fair share of issues with DD module watches, some still ongoing and going forward will never touch another.

7. apsm100 applysome! Aug 11, 2019

The case is too overpolished for my liking and I think they also replaced the bezel; but the price considering the service is quite good. Its not a collectible watch so replacement hands and other parts don't really matter, its just personal taste (do you want the lume color to match etc.)
    Heres mine from 1995 (selling soon to my good friend :()

_MG_9978.JPG _MG_9980.JPG
  8. AriTheWatchmaker Aug 11, 2019

Breitling used a lot of the modular chronographs, and as a professional I agree many many watchmakers do hal-assed jobs servicing the watch movments. I don't believe many replace them, but many try to service them partially or donthe module but do not replace the parts necessary (updating to current version parts), so its a bit of a risk.

Their #3 refers to their parts access with Swatch group/Omega spare parts accounts. Level 3 is not hard to get as it requires fewer tools. I'm level 5 with Omega. Back in the late 1990's Omega sent Dan Fenwick their trainer to our school and he trained us on those modules, and did training with breitling also. No problem with them functioning when done correctly but the issues are a people state above- who knows what they do or do not do when servicing. It takes a timing machine with amplitude readout to troubleshoot them as some functionality is checked with chrono running and stopped to verify. Also prone to hour recorder not resetting properly if adjustment is not done when servicing the module.
    2 cents worth for you

GandOsDad likes this.