Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Reduced used vs Longines Hydroconquest new

1. jsd27 Jul 21, 2015

I'm looking to buy my first watch and I have a budget of around £1000. I've always liked the Omega Speedmaster but most of them are miles out of my price bracket. The only ones I've found are the Omega Speedmaster reduced which are 39mm in diameter. My concern is that the watch may be too small for my wrist and I have no idea what the price difference will be when it will come to servicing them.
    On the other hand the Longines Hydroconquest Automatic is cheaper, has a greater water resistance and I would be able to buy it new.
    Please help me and possibly suggest other watches around this price point. Cheers.

2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 21, 2015

I have heard the movement on the Omega is a bugger to repair.
    I assume the Longines has a Valjoux/ETA movement which is not only serviceable but quite reliable and durable.
    Although Omega is further up the ladder than Longines in terms of prestige, I would look to the Longines chronograph before considering Omega's Reduced.
    In fact, I would personally remove the Reduced from consideration altogether.
    I hope someone will disagree and offer a good reason to take the Omega Reduced option here.
    What about something like this for $1,100 USD? Has the Valjoux 7750 but probably needs service...
    [​IMG]
    If I wasn't headed a different direction with my collection I would have bought this already.

3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 21, 2015

I am a former admirer of Hamilton as well. Same movements as the Longines (Valjoux/ETA 7750 in many), great style, but lower price (and prestige in case you're trying to impress someone other than yourself).
    Here's my favorite I bought from Ashford.com (they since sold out): a Pan Europ Chrongraph. It was $973 USD
    [​IMG]
    There are others for less.

4. jsd27 Jul 21, 2015

Love the Speedmaster you posted! didn't know you could get something like that for that money. Brand wise it doesn't bother me. As long as it looks nice, feels nice and is suitable for everyday use then i'll be happy

5. jsd27 Jul 21, 2015

I posted this somewhere else but It sums up where I am now. What would you go for??

Ideally I would want to have a watch that I could ware daily, with a suit or casually. Lifestyle wise, I play a lot of sport and spend a lot of time outside, so would also like something that could withstand the odd bump and scratch. Which is why I as considering a divers watch.
    After having a bit more of a look today these are the watches I'm considering:
    [​IMG]
    Omega Speedmaster Reduced used

[​IMG]
    Longines Hydroconquest

[​IMG]
    Longines Diver Legend

[​IMG]
    Oris Aquis

[​IMG]
    Omega Seamaster Quartz used

6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 21, 2015

Of those, the LLD. I'm afraid I'm going to buy one some day. The "fear" is, like with all watches I buy, I'll be bored with it and lose my shirt selling it to the next lucky bastard.

7. tsbphd Jul 21, 2015

If that's the case...might I be able to give to you a list of watches you should buy?:eek:

By the way, of those shown in the images above, I prefer the Oris Aquis.

8. trama Jul 21, 2015

..and I have heard opinions are like....well, you know the rest. :) I have had no troubles with the Speedy "reduced" I have been wearing regularly for 25 years. Maybe I'm the exception, but Omega doesn't make unsound watches too often. But I don't do the repair work on it, I take it to a proper shop where the services have been carried out without a complaint or hitch. As for it's size, well, I don't think it too small, on my not very big 7 3/4" wrists. Anyways JSD27, the price point you are working with is a fun one, with great watches being suggested. I can't wait to see what you decide on!

9. ulackfocus Jul 21, 2015

The Speedy Reduced has a DD chronograph module riveted to an ETA ebauche. The module is usually swapped out instead of serviced.

Why not look at a Christopher Ward SpeedHawk C40?

Christopher-Ward-C40-2-thumb-450x450-3787.jpeg 6a013488c26336970c0133f5a24562970b.jpg

Valjoux 7750, not very expensive new, and can be found for a song used. Did I mention wicked cool?

10. trama Jul 21, 2015

Heck yeah C Ward makes kickass watches! A buddy of mine snagged a trident GMT diver and loves it...I do too. I really like automatics...and divers...and dark faces....and tachymeters....this is such a great "dough zone" to be shopping in.

As far as exactly how the Speedy Reduced Automatic is dealt with behind the scenes, by the wizards and repair elves, I dunno. But it has been good to me and I love it. Besides, the 1450 bracelet looks cool too!