Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Reduced - Newbie Question

1. 5050fletcher Jun 28, 2017

Hi there

I've recently purchased a circa 17 year old Omega Speedmaster Reduced to add to my collection - I'm a watch fan but by no means an expert.

I've just had the watch serviced by an Omega registered service centre and noted on its return that the chronograph start/stop (top) button doesn't feel quite right. It clicks at half way down then clicks again and operates the chronograph when pushed all the way in. It feels completely different to the bottom button and certainly doesn't feel like a precision operation. The company that serviced the watch has advised that all Speedmaster Reduced watches are like this due to the piggyback movement.

Can anyone please confirm that the above is correct and the watch is operating normally. I really don't recall the watch doing this before I had it serviced.

Many thanks for any advice you are able to offer.

Regards

Michael

2. ras47 Jun 28, 2017

I don't have any experience with older or reduced Speedmasters, but this does not sound right for ANY Speedmaster. Perhaps a more experienced Reduced model owner will chime in. I'd take it either to an Omega Boutique or a better/trusted independent shop. This sounds a little fugazey to me.

5050fletcher likes this.
  3. 5050fletcher Jun 29, 2017

Thanks Ras47. Have I posted my question in the right place on the forum?

Can any Reduced owners offer any further advice please?

Thank you.

Michael

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 29, 2017

The explanation sounds plausible. The modular movement does have some quirks, the second hand can lag after hacking for instance. These are not the same animal as the Lemania Speedmasters and behave rather differently.

5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 29, 2017

I've owned my 3510 for about 8 years and I must say that I had never noticed what you are describing before.
    Having said that, I just went and checked the chrono pusher action and you are right, the start pusher seems to have like a two stage action, first a very light click where nothing happens, then quite a resistance before the pusher starts the chrono. Oddly, when I stopped the chrono it was one crisp click. Maybe your watchmaker is right and this is normal.

6. RonSwanson Jun 29, 2017

You have the same chrono module (Dubois-Depraz) as many watches by AP, Tag, and others, there is not so far as i know, an issue with pusher feel. I would take the watch to someone higher on the totem pole.