Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Reduced Bezel/Insert

1. VintageNoble Sep 22, 2017

Hi guys,

I bought last year one Speedy reduced at a very good price because the bezel insert was misaligned. I took it to my local watchmaker for servicing etc and asked if he could do something about that but he told me he was afraid to take it off and place it again because the gasket could break and the replacement would be very expensive or he might not be able to buy one. What do you think? Should I try to find another watchmaker ? Do I need to change the whole bezel ? I know that Omega doesn't sell bezel inserts individually. I will post photos later, so you can have a look ;)

Thank you in advance !!!

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 22, 2017

There's no gasket for the bezel on a Speedy Reduced, so if that is actually what you have, I would look for a watchmaker who knows the watches a little better. You just need to pop the bezel off, align is properly, and press it back on...

VintageNoble likes this.
  3. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 22, 2017

Are you sure it's a reduced and not a Speedmaster date?

VintageNoble likes this.
  4. amedman Sep 22, 2017

You can buy the bezel for around $100 - $150 if he is concerned about damage. I really don't understand how it can be damaged since it is just press fitted off and press fit back on. Easy for any watchmaker to do IMHO.

VintageNoble likes this.
  5. VintageNoble Sep 22, 2017

It's the day date configuration ! Is there a gasket underneath or not ?

IMG_9041.JPG IMG_0767.JPG
  6. VintageNoble Sep 22, 2017

I really don't trust this watchmaker but in my city he is considered as the best one ! I will have to travel to a bigger town so that another watchmaker can have a look ::facepalm2::

7. VintageNoble Sep 22, 2017

I think you need to call it Speedmster date? I am not sure of the type ::confused2::

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 22, 2017

That is not a Speedmaster reduced. That is a Speedmaster date or Mk. 40, but is a ref. 35205300. The bezel on this one is part of the cas so when you remove the bezel the crystal will come with it. To replace the bezel you would need a new crystal gasket, and there is also an O-ring between the case frame that the movement is fastened to and the bezel/crystal assembly.

Foo2rama and VintageNoble like this.
  9. VintageNoble Sep 22, 2017

So is it a difficult procedure after all ? What do I need to do ? Find another watchmaker or buy replacement parts ?

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 22, 2017

Not difficult for me as I change these often, but I have no idea if your watchmaker is capable of this or not. From the sounds of it he has concerns about the gasket so I would assume from that he doesn't have a parts account with Omega. If that's the case I would suggest you seek out a watchmaker who does have an account.

Cheers, Al

11. Vjramire Dec 30, 2020

Can the 3520.50 mk40 curved bezel be changed to have the traditional speedy flat bezel shape and domed crystal like the late model sapphire reduced 3539.50? I know they are both 39mm in case size but are the bezels plug and play? The only drawback, if it fits, may be the traditional shaped domed sapphire may have reduced visibility on the edges which could affect reading the date calendar on the edges.

Edited Dec 30, 2020