Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Reduced 1750032 Calibre1140 white face value

1. Veseyan6 Nov 16, 2016

Hi to all Omega lovers. This is my first post and could do with some help!!

So the kids university fees are paid, their house deposits also, and thought now was a nice time to treat myself to a "proper" watch. Nothing too elaborate as I am sure that the Bank of Dad will still be called upon!

So, was out in Birmingham recently and in a High Street jewellers saw a lovely white faced Omega with bracelet. It was labelled as a Seamaster but my online enquiries proved it was a Speedmaster Reduced. I returned to the shop and explained their error and promptly ran off all the web stuff regards it being a Reduced etc and not as valuable as a Seamaster. It's is in original box but not with original receipt or service record, but the shop has said it has been authenticated by their watch man and they will give a new cert stating original Omega, plus they will open up so I can see the movement. In honesty, I know nothing of these things and exhausted my knowledge in my opening salvo. My concerns are two fold, one no original certs and two their watch man should have known it was a Speedmaster and not Seamaster. Research showed that white faced, automatics 1750032 Calibre 1140 were reasonably rare and sought after ( I understand we are not talking Crown Jewels here!). The price is £1495 which I have said is too high for Speedmaster and shop owner is happy to do a deal. My question is...
    .whats it really worth..... my gut feeling is £1000-1200 max.

Can anyone help with pearls of wisdom. It looks in good condition and shop has been in Bham for 25 years so reputable as far as I know.

Cheers
    Omega virgin Birmingham

IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 16, 2016

What are the prices they have sold for recently in your research?

Keep in mind the likely service needs of this watch vs the date and racing speedmasters at the same size, there is a reason the other "small" speedmasters fetch more money. This watch will most likely need a service.

3. Veseyan6 Nov 16, 2016

Thanks Foo2rama for quick reply. With white face general research showed prices in Euros circa 1200 which is where I obtained my £1000-1200 range. Shop has advised that they service Rolex / omega etc for between £120-180 standard service, more if work required or parts needed. Shop advises they have opened and in off site watch guru's opinion it's fully genuine (hence their offer of a shop cert stating same) and is not in need of a service in short term, BUT recommend that within 2-3 years max it would be advisory. I have no idea of what to offer.... is £900-1000 insulting? Or relevant based on no cert and they didn't originally get the classification correct. It does look in good condition and bezel is undamaged. Do these models hold/lose/increase in value over 10 year ?

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 16, 2016

5. Badwolf Nov 16, 2016

The white dial version is pretty rare, especially without gold. I think you would be doing well to get it for 1k, might take a bit more. Bought mine about 6 years ago for £500, but everything has moved on. If you end up buying it for 1200 you won't loose money in the future. I love mine :)

IMG_0030.JPG

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 17, 2016

I would be cautious paying any premium for a white dialed version without first confirming that it was originally a white dial, and this is not one that has been converted. If you can get the serial number from the shop and PM that to me, I'll check it for you...or you can call Omega with the number and ask them what reference it's for.

Cheers, Al