Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Professional Tokyo Olympics 522.30.42.30.06.001

1. CitizenX Sep 2, 2020

Hello Gentlepeople,

I can buy a Speedmaster Professional Tokyo Olympics.522.30.42.30.06.001

Omega-Speedmaster-Tokyo-2020-Olympics-collection-52230423006001.jpg

For this buy I have to sell my "normal" 311.30.42.30.01.005 Speedmaster Professional.

What do you think, it is a nice watch.
    Is it a good investment since the games will never take place.

Umberto T, Japanred, Vale21 and 2 others like this.
  2. AntonisCy Sep 2, 2020

It's a nice watch.

I don't buy watches as investments.

The games will take place.

lando, Fedev and Meme-Dweller like this.
  3. Meme-Dweller Sep 2, 2020

in b4 horrible wrist pain pics from the sharp caseback

4. Marsimaxam Sep 2, 2020

What do I think?
    I prefer the "normal" Speedmaster over the Tokyo Olympics Red Speedmaster.
    I like the yellow and black versions of the Tokyo Olympics Speedmaster more then the red.
    If you prefer the Tokyo Olympics Speedmaster over your normal Speedmaster, then do the deal.
    It is a limited edition, each version only 2020 produced, and only available in Japan and I generally don't buy watches as investments, but, it does have the possibility of appreciating more than your normal Speedmaster because of the limited number and the exclusivity to Japan only.

CitizenX likes this.
  5. Gruesome Sep 2, 2020

Instead of selling one watch to buy another, have you thought about putting the money aside for a rainy day?
    That being said, I like that red bezel Speedmaster.

6. Ree Sep 2, 2020

It looks nicer and harder to find than a normal Moonwatch reference. Definitely the better keeper for me.
    Regardless the game will take place or not, most LE's with around +-2000pcs with great designs have been proven to maintain their value. If that's what you're after.

CitizenX likes this.
  7. CitizenX Sep 3, 2020

I decided to keep my "normal" speedy. But I like the very nice dial with stepped subdials and applied Ω Logo.

8. CitizenX Sep 3, 2020

It is more that I have more watches. And you can't keep them all. And 2 speedys is possible but not what I prefere.

9. Meetul Sep 3, 2020

Interesting watch, never saw this model. Red looks amazing.

wolfe44 likes this.
  10. CitizenX Sep 3, 2020

You are right, but I don't like buying a watch and "loosing" a lot of money after selling it.

11. AntonisCy Sep 3, 2020

I understand. I personally never buy a watch with the intention of selling it in the future, even though i do some times.

12. CitizenX Sep 4, 2020

I like to wear different watches from time to time. I think I have had over 100 watches for the last 10 years I still have around 20 watches. From low end to high end.

AntonisCy likes this.
  13. hockey Sep 4, 2020

Cool watch. Just buy what you like and enjoy it. The nice thing about Omega is that you usually always will be able to sell it if you lose interest or want to move on to another.

CitizenX likes this.
  14. cyuvan Sep 7, 2020

I think it is a nice looking watch. The red one is usually overlooked because most people are interested in the Panda first and to a lesser extent the blue dial. From what I understand, the red ones (of the 3 steel models) are the ones that are more available in watch displays in Japan. The Panda had the similar looking Mitsukoshi and the 35th anniversary proceeding it and the Blue Dial had the Gemini IV before it. The red is more of a unique watch with a red bezel and the red is representative of the Rising Sun on the Japanese flag.

I don't know what the value will do as an investment but you should buy it if you prefer the unique look over your regular Moonwatch.

Edited Sep 7, 2020
    CitizenX likes this.
  15. Vale21 Sep 7, 2020

Super nice watch, I would keep the speedy pro and add this one and probaly look to sell another Watch than the speedy ;-)

16. Japanred Sep 7, 2020

This watch is on my “want” list too. As is the green dial one. I almost bought both from the same seller a couple of months ago but the risk of 20% VAT being added at customs put me off.

I think it’s much nicer than the normal speedy pro and although won’t be a great investment, it won’t lose any money either.

I too buy my watches with the aim of them retaining value, but that’s a very different proposal to being investment quality.

I would go for it if I were you.

17. Tekashi_145.022 Sep 8, 2020

Like others have stated, a watch is seldom a prudent financial investment. You’re almost certainly better off investing your hard earned money into the stock market.

However, I’ve given a lot of thought to the limited edition 2020 Olympics Speedmaster’s potential as a collector’s piece in recent weeks and wanted to share my take for fun. I used to perform market valuation of luxury goods for a private equity firm, and though I have hardly done any due diligence on this particular model, hopefully you’ll find my musings entertaining.:)

If you decide to base part of your decision off of the watch’s potential as an investment opportunity, in my opinion, it’s certainly wiser to pursue the more-sought after iterations of this limited edition: 1.) the panda dial, and 2.) the blue dial. Based off of the panda and blue dial Speedys of the past, these watches do tend to be more collectible based solely upon their color schemes (I.e. without regard for the event they’re commemorating). The significance here is that, in addition to the possible collector’s value a 2020 Olympics edition may bring, the merit of having an uncommon and desirable color scheme brings its own (dare I say greater) potential for value retention. For sure, I’d put the panda ahead of the blue dial here.

All that said, as partial as I am to OMEGA, they churn out hundreds of editions of the limited variety, and just because something’s rare doesn’t mean it’s financially valuable. Certainly, this is a peculiar edition: it’s not merely commemorating an event that never occurred (the 2020 Olympics), it’s why it never occurred (COVID-19) that could make it notable in years to come. In fact, it’s one of the only distinctive “COVID watches” I can think of. While many brands are unveiling new watches during COVID, not many (to my knowledge) are commemorating major events that were canceled or rescheduled due to COVID.

I don’t imagine this is a time that will be remembered fondly, so the sentimental factor will likely be lost on future collectors. I think its commemoration of the 2020 Olympics will amount to a peculiarity at best; I can seldom recall special edition Speedmasters that have fared well explicitly due to the event the limited edition is commemorating, as opposed to the merit of a pleasing unique color scheme or design (eg the blue Gemini IV edition, or the functional aluminum case accessory that accompanies the striking white dial of the Alaska Project edition).

Perhaps in a few decades it will be a peculiarity to someone who doesn’t have such sour sentiments towards the time, and score a few extra percentage points in market value.

Finally, the case back gripe is a fair criticism leveled towards this model. Between the 2020/COVID association and alleged ergonomic issues, I’m not particularly optimistic about it’s potential as a financial investment compared to putting your money in an S&P 500 mutual fund.

tl;dr: Buy it if you like it (I do). Don’t buy it as an investment piece. If you stubbornly decide to buy a 2020 Olympics Speedy while heavily factoring potential financial upside, buy the panda (or maybe the blue) iteration; I’d pass on the others all together.

18. Umberto T Dec 3, 2020

ciao a tutti, sono un amante dello speedmaster da una vita, questo della edizione olimpica 2020 mi ha sorpreso e l'ho preso subito da venditore nipponico, personalmente ho preso il nero e oro perché mi ha veramente folgorato, posso dire che è un bellissimo oggetto da mettere al polso e fa la sua figura rispetto ad un classico e intramontabile speedmaster che gran parte della platea non sa cosa sia. penso che l'anno prossimo prenderò anche il verde e oro ! I normali rosso, blu e panda non mi fanno impazzire anche se sto vedendo che il panda cresce giorno dopo giorno di valore e prezzo sui vari siti.

19. adrian scott Aug 10, 2021

Love the red on white - almost a rolex vibe ;)

AlphaToOmega likes this.