Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Professional. New User

1. Varasc Mar 8, 2013

Good evening,

My sincere congratulations for this excellent forum. I have been reading its topics and decided to login, therefore I wanted to publish a brief presentation.

After a long wait, I have just bought a fascinating Omega Speedmaster Professional, cal. 1861, ref. 38705000. This, because I have a strong passion for history and I absolutely wanted to wear and use something basically unchanged from its original 1957 project.
    I read almost every essay or article I found on this watch and its story, as well as on its place in the first human flights in space. But above all I am here to learn, so I would be very pleased to receive your kind suggestions on the best way to preserve and enjoy my Omega.

I just wanted to add that a further reason of my interest was the fact that my grandfather had an Omega Seamaster Cosmic and loved it until he sadly passed away. Even if with a different watch, I am quite proud to wear something already part of the story of my family.

Thank you indeed and kind regards,

Marco

Edited Oct 14, 2015
  2. MyVintageOmega Mar 8, 2013

Look forward to some pic's and welcome aboard!

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 8, 2013

Welcome

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 8, 2013

I share your value of history and heritage. Were you able to keep your Grandfather's by any chance? If not, your first collecting goal is clear!
    Come and join. This is fascinating stuff.

5. MKelley Mar 8, 2013

Welcome Varasc!

6. NewBlueOmega Mar 9, 2013

The Speedmaster Pro is a beautiful timepiece.. post some pics!

7. Varasc Mar 9, 2013

Good morning,

Thank you all for your kind welcome, very appreciated.
    Herewith attached, some picture of my new watch, in spite of the poor light of today (and the fact that unfortunately I still have no macro lenses for my Canon!). I hope you will enjoy them.

UncleBuck, my grandfather's Seamaster Cosmic has been sent in Switzerland for evaluation and an esteem of the repair's cost, but it was too expensive and so we decided to stop. I am waiting it back and maybe in the future we will try to restore it. We were asked 1090 Euros.

OSP BW.JPG

OSP due.JPG

OSP tre.JPG

OSP quattro.JPG

OSP cinque.JPG

May I kindly ask, if possible, further information on this watch and caliber? For instance, I read that there are many other watches with the "ref." 38705000. Is it a kind of series or something similar? Would it be possible to know more, please?

Kind regards and thank you,

Marco

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 9, 2013

A good local watchmaker will be able to help out on the cosmic. Post some pics here and we might be able to help with what needs to be done and how much it should cost

Varasc likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 9, 2013

Exceptional photography there!

10. Varasc Mar 9, 2013

Thanks dsio, very kind!
    I wanted to picture the back of the watch with the beautiful inscription, "The first watch worn on the Moon", but it's quite hard to manage both the wristband and the reflex with two hands...

11. Varasc Mar 9, 2013

I followed your kind suggestion here...

http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-cosmic.4333/

Kind regards,

Marco

12. Nick F 05 Mar 9, 2013

Welcome Marco

13. Varasc Mar 10, 2013

Thanks Nick!

Are you able to suggest me some literature more specifically inherent to my watch, please?

14. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 10, 2013

Start with chuck maddox's website. He was the king of speedmasters. Google chronomaddox

15. Varasc Mar 11, 2013

Thanks, just done, very interesting!

16. Varasc Mar 14, 2013

May I ask you whether it's possible to buy a handbook for this watch, ref. 38705000, please? I only have the two very short instruction booklets provided with the Speedmaster's case, but maybe it exists a .pdf or paperbook with more detail.

Thank you,

Marco

17. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 14, 2013

Look on omegas website and in their app. There are a lot of video manuals there & there must be a Speedmaster one.

You can also search for "video manuals" on Omegas YouTube channel.

18. Varasc Mar 15, 2013

Thanks, just found one, but it's quite general. It concerns all the possible Speedmaster's calibers and also some Seamasters.

19. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 15, 2013

Sometimes hard copy instruction books are sold on eBay or through watch auctions.

Varasc likes this.
  20. Varasc Mar 24, 2013

sohail, damo_t and SpikiSpikester like this.