Forums Latest Members
  1. stephanjutz Aug 25, 2019

Hello, I am new to this forum. Thank you for any insight that you may be able to provide.

I have owned an Omega Speedmaster Professional (Moon Watch) for almost thirty years. Great watch! I had it serviced frequently by the OMEGA Service Center in the US or Switzerland.
    Recently, when I wound the watch, i noticed that the winding does create more resistant, so I am guessing the Main Spring is broken. I need to have my watch repaired.
    I was in touch with an OMEGA dealer in Switzerland, and they were quoting around $800 for a service. This seems much higher that what i remembered paying. Did the prices for service/repair from OMGEA increase? Are there trustworthy, reliable and professional alternative repair shops out there that may be more price competitive?

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide
    Stephan Jutz
    [email protected]

2. ext1 Aug 25, 2019

Well since you say
    I guess all the original parts are gone? Sad!

If they're all gone, then Bienne is OK. But depending on your location there are equally good if not better options

3. stephanjutz Aug 25, 2019

What are the other good options?

4. ext1 Aug 25, 2019

First.. did you keep the original parts, and second, where the heck are you located?

5. stephanjutz Aug 26, 2019

i have not sent the watch for repair yet. I am located in the US but travel to Europe occasionally for business.

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 27, 2019

There isn’t anything special or collectible about a 90s Speedmaster, and the only parts they were likely to have changed were movement parts.

Omega service isn’t bad.

I was going to recommend someone but his web site is messed up....

Tom

7. ext1 Aug 27, 2019

I have to respectfully offer another opinion - I think 90s speedys are liked by many for their unique sweetspot between tritium speedys and the modern standard speedy omega pumps out today. It's essentially the current model with tritium lume. Also it is beginning to become a birthyear range for some people. Not to mention some people want the special versions with gilt movement+display back.

Anyway, perhaps you're right that the 90s parts are less of concern if they were lost than pre-78 parts. And I do agree omega service isn't bad at all. In fact when I pick up a 321 project speedy that has all wrong parts I often send to Bienne.

So if there are no parts of concern, I'd say Bienne is OK, but honestly if it's a 861, then any competent watchmaker would be able to do it...
    If in the US, why not check out our one and only @Archer ?

8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 27, 2019

I messaged him once and got a canned reply (don't blame him for that one!) that said he has plenty of work.

Tom

9. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 27, 2019

My 1997 Speedmaster, although a 57 Replica (hate that name), was all Luminova. Neat dial, hated the hands and bezel. Sold it to my local watchmaker who restored it to original, and never looked back.

Near as I can tell, looking at Omega's site, the actual Moonwatch hasn't changed since the 90s.

Tom

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 27, 2019

The regular Speedy Pro used tritium dials and hands up until the very late 90's...1997 or 1998. Those are more sought after by many collectors than the luminova versions. Since the OP has stated that he has owned this watch for almost 30 years, this is likely an early 90's watch with tritium.

Hopefully he still has the dial and hands on the watch, or still has them from the service.

Cheers, Al

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 27, 2019

Foo2rama likes this.