Forums Latest Members

SOLD Omega Speedmaster professional LCD moonwatch prototype

1. Tom Dick and Harry Aug 29, 2015

Afternoon all

Now I accept that this isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea, not only Quartz but an LCD too but in the cool stakes it's right up there, the production version is by far the rarest Speedmaster professional ever made and this is a prototype to boot!!!!

Although I love this watch I simply don't wear it so it seems right that I let it go to a new home and make room for my new incoming 2998

image.jpg

This is one of the rarest Omega Speedmaster Professional models every made, an LCD variation Produced in 1977 and made for around 18 months, this example is in as new condition and is one of only two known prototype pre-production watches (both of which I have owned), designated by the 0004xxx serial number on the calibre 1620 movement (Omega in the 1970’s used 000 to designated prototype or pre production).

image.jpg

This watch truly is one of a kind, standard production examples are selling for well over £1200 now (check completed ebay listings), this is an opportunity to own a pre production/ prototype version of this watch in as new condition, working perfectly (including the light function) and checked by Omega.

image.jpg

Condition:

Case: Completely untouched and in perfect condition, a few light storage marks

Bezel: original Bakelite bezel in stunning original as new condition.

Crystal: Original crystal, a few very light storage marks (the what looks like a smudge and scratch near the Lower left side is just my poor cleaning skills BTW)

Movement: Mint preproduction prototype 1620/ 4130 and functioning correctly, including the light. The movement appears to have the same features as the production watch but the serial number plaque denotes the watch was a prototype pre production example 000

Case back: Perfect original condition

Bracelet: completely original and correct to the watch

image.jpg

The watches movement is calibre 1620, not to be confused in any way shape or form with modern LCD movements. This movement has a circa 5 SPM accuracy as a result of a high quality 32Khz quartz resonator. The functions on the watch (which all work as they should) include:
    • Time/hour/minutes/seconds and day of week
    • 1/100 second chronograph able to accumulate to 0.1 seconds off 24 hrs
    • Split second chronograph
    • Lap time
    • Split/Stop of 2 consecutive times
    • Separately power light (working as it should)
    • Calendar programmed for leap year

Unbeknown to many collectors these speedmaster were issued to NASA! They used a slightly modified version of this exact watch under calibre 1621 (it had no light function but instead had tritium painted behind the LCD) and were issued to NASA (12 pieces in total) as a test watch in 1978 and went up on numerous shuttle missions, as well as passing all of the NASA tests.

This really is a special watch, there where very few of this type of the production Omega Speedmaster Professional made and even fewer have survived in this original condition and functioning correctly. This is all of those as well as being a one off prototype pre production watch.

I had two of these prototypes, I got the first as a bargain find on eBay (which I featured on the forum earlier this year and recently sold), I sold the other back on eBay but this is too nice to let go there so I thought I'd offer it to the community first, the other was nice (00017 serial) but not as nice as this one (0004 serial), the display wasn't as clear and the movement not as clean, also the case and BCT showed a lot more storage marks than this one!

I bought this example after getting my first proto purely by chance from a freind at omega who when in conversation about the eBay bargain I had said he had one and was thinking about selling it! I leapt in as I know him well and therefore I know the heritage of the watch completely.

image.jpg

Anyway cutting to the chase, I am looking for £1550 for the watch shipped it has been fully checked and overhauled by omega, the lower pusher is a bit sticky but I will get the resolved before sending it to its new owner

Payment via PP (gift or you cover fees) or BT

Cheers Tom

image.jpg
    Edited Aug 29, 2015
  2. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 11, 2015

Found something else I really want so gentle bump and one only reduction to

£1350 shipped

Baden Harrison likes this.
  3. tyrantlizardrex Nov 20, 2015

Having seen the one on display at STS, I have to say that this is a lovely watch in person... if I had the cash (which after the service bill for the watches I dropped off, I suspect I won't!) I'd be tempted.

Can't believe this is still here!