Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Professional bracelet removal

1. AchillesX Jul 6, 2018

Greetings gentlemen,

I just joined a very special club and sadly it is not the mile high club :( but the Omega club. I've been wanting a Speedmaster Moonwatch for year and years but did not have the funds but lately I've come across some money and decided it is time ;) So, fast fwd and I went to my local Omega Boutique and walked out with the gigantic Speedmaster box. I did play with both Sapphire and hesalite models and decided the hesalite was better looking.

Now, I wore the watch the two weeks and while I think the bracelet is nice I prefer NATO straps and the black Omega one that came in the box is indeed very nice. I have a few Seikos that I also converted into NATO straps and they feel awesome on the wrist. My only fear of removing the bracelet is causing micro scratches to the mirror polished sides. I did invest in a very nice tool called Bergeon that is made for that particular purpose. So I'm asking you to chip in and tell me what the best way of removing the bracelet without causing any scratches?

I was thinking of taping the back but the sides are a bit awkward and not sure if I can tape them ::confused2:: what do you think?

This watch is so versatile that it can go with any leather or NATO strap I'm amazed but I just don't feel the bracelet is that good. I had a Rolex Submariner on loan from a friend for a month and man did that bracelet scream of quality. I think Omega did a poor job with the bracelet considering the price I paid for this watch.

superfly likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 6, 2018

I'd just go for it, don't worry too much about scratches all watches get them and they can be polished out later.

3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 6, 2018

Your watch will scratch, so start psychologically accepting that fact.

In my experience it scratches easier installing the bracelet than uninstalling (unless you are really not thinking about what you are doing mechanically). Tape is good for the back of the lugs when installing a bracelet. But you will still get scratches.

Use a scrunched T-shirt or clean rag on your working surface. Slips/falls etc will be safe.

Best tip I can give you (hard to explain, but I’ll try) when removing the bracelet is, when holding the watch with the dial side facing down in the my hand (down/up is relative to the hand, and my hand is angled sideways, so the side of the watch is on the rag/t-shirt, if that makes sense), to have a finger or two of that hand on the dial-side of the endlink (which is facing down) pressing hard up, such that the moment the bergeon releases one end of the springbar, it stays out and the bracelet keeps its new angled out position (by the pressure of your fingers). Do the same to the other side (only works for solid modern endlinks, vintage are quite different).Then it just slips out easy. Never scratched a watch this way. Modern bracelets are easy to in/unstall.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your watch and WIGH.

Edited Jul 6, 2018
    JMH76 and Foo2rama like this.
  4. AchillesX Jul 6, 2018

Thank you very much for your replies.

Also, Eugene, I really like your technique. I will try and apply it this weekend or next week when this heat wave settles down. TY ^_-

5. lustrousaurus Jul 6, 2018

How far is the local OB? You can just have them do it for you.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. sevenhelmet Jul 6, 2018

Just be careful and use a decent quality tool (the one that came with your Speedy is decent enough for the job- I use mine for strap changes on all my watches.)

You may even be able to have a jeweler or an Omega technician show you how they do a strap/bracelet change. I practiced on less expensive watches a few times before I started messing with my Speedy. Along the way I managed to lose a couple of spring bars, scratch lugs, destroy a perfectly good set of bars because I used the wrong size, and have even had to come here to OF for help. For something so simple it can be frustrating, but after a little practice, you can do it in less than a minute without losing any parts or damaging your watch.

Edited Jul 6, 2018
    Jerseyhammer likes this.
  7. AchillesX Jul 6, 2018

Done. Used blue electrical tape + steady hands and the Bergeon Swiss Tool I bought. Not a single scratch. Wearing my black OMEGA Nato strap and loving the watch even more! Very happy to have gotten rid of the bracelet. Might sell it later, not sure. It's flawless since the watch is only 2 weeks old. Now if only the OMEGA Nato straps were a little cheaper I'd get a few colorful ones but the black that came with the watch is really classy IMO.

s-l640.jpg

Jerseyhammer and noelekal like this.
  8. AchillesX Jul 6, 2018

Well, I live in Vancouver and the boutique is at the Fairmont Hotel so less than an hour from me. But I've done it myself moments ago and happy with the result.

sevenhelmet and lustrousaurus like this.
  9. WatchWalker Jul 7, 2018

Don't decide to quick on selling off that bracelet. You may regret that later. Give it some time before going there. Just some friendly unsolicited advice...

10. rob#1 Jul 7, 2018

Congrats on changing the strap yourself, it can be quite daunting the first time.
    Also remember if/when you decide to put the bracelet back on, there are different length spring bars for straps/bracelets... some invaluable research on OF saved me time and probably many lug scratches when I got frustrated at not being able to get the bar back in properly.
    And it’s true there will always be scratches, the same as when you get a new car it will get a scratch, or worse, at some stage, so best to be philosophical about it.

superfly likes this.
  11. gostang9 Jul 7, 2018

Congrats on what will likely be your first of many strap / bracelet changes. It goes a long way to change the look and feel of a watch, and buying several strap options is certainly much cheaper than buying multiple watches (although hanging out around here has a tendency to push you towards buying many of both watches and straps...)

If reinstalling the bracelet is daunting and you are willing to spend almost $200, there is a Bergeron 7825 tweezer that I find works well to hold both sides of the spring bars securely while fitting the bracelet back on. It is useless for removing straps but can work to remove bracelets as well. Veteran / frequent strap changers would never feel the cost justified, but for a novice it is an option (if cost isn’t a factor).

superfly likes this.
  12. AchillesX Jul 7, 2018

^This. I'm definitely getting the Bergeon 7825. Thx for the tip. Expensive but worth it.

I'll hold on to the bracelet just in case :)

superfly likes this.
  13. teojjsg Jul 9, 2018

Do not sell the bracelet. You will get way below retail for it. Since this is your first speedmaster, completeness of the set just sweeten the memories imho.

superfly likes this.