Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Pro aka the Moonwatch at JSC

1. sc-texas Mar 13, 2017

I was invited to see history today with my two boys and my wife. Norm Knight, chief of the Flight Director Office at the Johnson Space Center invited my family for a tour. I wore the OMEGA Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 aka the Moonwatch for this special tour. We were privileged to be invited into the Historical Mission Operations Control Room 2, or "MOCR 2" in building 30. MOCR 2 was used for almost every Gemini, Apollo and spaceshuttle flight into the 1990s. In the late 1990s it was restored to its Apollo-era appearance. We were able to stand in the room that was the epicenter of the American space program from 1965 to the 1990s. We stood on the same floor as the mission controllers that saved the Apollo 13 crew. It was quiet. It was a humbling and inspiring experience.

The Next stop was in FCR-1, the flight control room for the ISS. The boys met a mission controller and were allowed to fly two cameras on the main truss.

We then were invited to the floor of building 9’s Space Vehicle Mockup Facility (SVMF) to walk through the Space Station modules and the last remaining Space Shuttle Obiter Crew Compartment trainer. It was an amazing feeling to enter the orbiter through an actual hatch and climb up the ladder from the crew compartment to the flight deck. Watching my son's climb into the seats were the men and women who flew the missions trained was an incredible feeling.

Enjoy the photos. .

Sean Cody www.TexasGunTrust.com

[​IMG]

The Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 aka the Moonwatch in the Historical Mission Operations Control Room 2, or "MOCR 2" in building 30. MOCR 2 was used for almost every Gemini, Apollo and spaceshuttle flight into the 1990s. In the late 1990s it was restored to its Apollo-era appearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 aka the Moonwatch in the Historical Mission Operations Control Room 2, you can see the large screen referred to as the "ten by twenty""

[​IMG]

This was taken at the Flight Directors station in Flight Control Room 1.

[​IMG]
    The Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 in the lone space shuttle orbiter Crew Compartment trainer remaining at Building 9’s Space Vehicle Mockup Facility (SVMF).

[​IMG]
    The Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 on the left pilots panel on the flightdeck of the Crew Compartment trainer remaining at Building 9’s Space Vehicle Mockup Facility (SVMF).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 and a checklist on the flightdeck of the lone Crew Compartment trainer remaining at Building 9’s Space Vehicle Mockup Facility (SVMF).

[​IMG]
    Main Engine Cut Off switches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 aka the Moonwatch and Gluestick the Lizard my son caught in the yard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Norm Knight, chief of the Flight Director Office showing the boys the Japanese module.

[​IMG]

The boys about to climb the ladder to the flight deck in the lone Crew Compartment trainer remaining at Building 9’s Space Vehicle Mockup Facility (SVMF).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Emeister, zimonyig, Foo2rama and 10 others like this.
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 13, 2017

Awesome and thanks for sharing. Your Speedie almost qualifies as a "flown" watch.

sc-texas and Linzer like this.
  3. axl911 Mar 16, 2017

OMG!!! Love the switches on those control panels!!!

BTW, where are the red "Self Destruct" button??? :)

sc-texas likes this.
  4. sc-texas Mar 18, 2017

Lol. Didn't see it. No space weapons either

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 18, 2017

6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 18, 2017

Meanwhile in the Omega museum:
    Omega Musée received this control desk, which was part of the Mission Operations Control Room (MOCR) in building 30 of the Manned Spacecraft Center (renamed JSC - Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center in 1973) at Houston, Texas - USA. NASA used MOCR-1 for Apollo 7, Skylab and Apollo-Soyuz missions. The MOCR-2, located at the 3rd floor of building 30 was used for all other Apollo flights and designated a historical landmark in October 1985 due to the fact it was the control room for the Apollo 11 mission.
    [​IMG]

sc-texas likes this.
  7. aesguerra Mar 18, 2017

Awesome pics. Severely envious that you had such a hands-on experience in the CCT! In Seattle, they start eyeing you funny if you even start leaning close to a switch.

sc-texas likes this.
  8. CaptDngr Mar 18, 2017

This is seriously awesome. Thank you for sharing!