Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster non Pro Dial in Asymmetric case sells for over £50k!

1. simonsays Nov 1, 2019

Just to add fuel to the fire on the recent 105.012 with the unusual non pro dial discussed in a previous thread. If you missed it it was a wide T non pro dial in a 105.012-63.

856463-1ff849fd3cf291239a41f1565211fecd.jpg

It has long been debated weather or not these watches left the factory like this, or if they were fitted with the wrong dial at a later date.
    This dial is not a known example of the 105.003 because the wide T spacing was not used on these dials, so this one is closer to a 105.012 or 145.012 dial, with long indices and before mentioned wide T's.

Members have been forthright in the opinion that Omega would never put a Non Pro dial in an asymmetric case as they go together hand in glove. Well perhaps the evidence that Omega would do this has been in plain sight all along.

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 16.14.09.png

The red racing dials with applied logos are all non pro in asymmetric cases, and there are enough of them to confirm that they left the factory in this configuration.

2. ConElPueblo Nov 1, 2019

Another view could be that the other modifications to the racing dial would have made Omega reconsider if it truly was a "professional" version and dropped the moniker from it because of that. They could have reconsidered that decision later on... In any case I don't think it is a 100% apples to apples comparison.

lando, eugeneandresson and simonsays like this.
  3. simonsays Nov 1, 2019

The consensus from previous threads was that the new case was what made the watch 'Professional' The challenge was also laid down to find a verified non pro dialled watch in a pro case.

I think I have found more evidence including the debatable advertising copy in the previous thread

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-«-two-liner-»-does-it-actually-exist.86459/

to suggest such watches could exist and be correct, than anyone else has provided to suggest they are definitely not? Much like the Ultraman, before it found its new found infamy, I am sure many are 'corrected' by collectors rather than offered as possibly unusual anomalies from the Omega factory.

My thoughts have always been that in the 1960/70s Omegas assemblage process was much more hap hazard. Subtle changes, (and often not so subtle) in font and dial printing case design etc. was often ignored. The importance given to the sequence of progression, and that it should follow a logical pattern of development is something collectors like to impose on the process to simplify the rules of good watch/bad watch.