Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster "Newbe Warning"

1. nycmaster May 28, 2016

Hello All
    First time owner of Omega Speedmaster. Gift from a friend when he bought another watch.
    I have few questions

1) The watch loses about 20-30 seconds every 6 hour. Is this a sign to have the watch serviced?
    2) If service is necessary, where should I get it done? Any recommendation? How much does it cost to have it serviced? I'm in Los Angeles CA
    3) How can I tell what the model number is? I think its 3510.50 but not sure.
    4) I want to change the strap to something else. Is my watch 18mm or 20mm?

Thank you for guiding a newbe like me to a new world of Omega

WP_20160515_15_06_48_Pro.jpg
  2. WurstEver May 28, 2016

You're spot on with the reference number. What you have there is a nice Speedmaster "Reduced". It's the first of two sub-models. The later reduced models have a sapphire crystal, rather than the hesalite on yours. An easy way to tell them apart is the dial - yours has numbers around the dial, whereas the later ones do not. Sorry, I'm not sure about servicing.

3. Peecmkr May 28, 2016

Definitely sound like a service is needed. That's way to much time to be losing per day.

4. Peecmkr May 28, 2016

Swatch has a repair location in Culver City. The info and price can be found on the Omega website.

5. Peecmkr May 28, 2016

Approx $600 I would guess

6. OmegaCard Anti-sticky exaggerator extraordinaire! May 28, 2016

Nice friend.

7. shutterlife May 28, 2016

That's a nice friend you got there. Definitely needs to be services. You can go the OB route or send it in yourself. I believe chronographs are about 750 for service.

8. JohnSteed May 28, 2016

Nice gift. Welcome to the forum.

9. pwojnar May 29, 2016

I need friends like that

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 29, 2016

I would definately send to swatch in culver city.

These watches can be a challenge for some people to service, and if you don't know anyone then send to the people that have to fix it right

11. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 29, 2016

Hold the phone.... your friend gave you a Speedmaster?

Marry that friend, gender doesn't matter..... you're in California after all.

pwojnar likes this.
  12. Andreas May 29, 2016

The lug width of your watch is 18mm.
    Great friend. enjoy your watch!

13. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance May 29, 2016

For service I would try Jack Mond in Beverly Hills. He has worked on several of mine and does a great job. Prices have ranged from 150-250 depending on what needs to be done. He is an avid collector of Omegas and understands what to do, and most importantly what NOT to do when servicing an older watch. Turn around is usually 1-2 weeks.

Foo2rama and rafaaquarius21 like this.
  14. nycmaster May 29, 2016

Thank you everyone for your kind words and suggestions.
    Yes. I do agree with you folks about him being a great friend. Here are my following questions

1) Anyone have any experience with servicing from Swatch in Culver City? I saw the servicing video from Omega website and it seems to me that they take everything apart and clean, refresh, re-calibrate (I hope..) and replace if necessary. Can I expect when it returns from servicing, will it look as good as new?
    2) $700-$800 for servicing cost is still hefty cost for me. Is considering going outside of Omega servicing options like Jack Mond in Beverly Hills "tpatta" mentioned a viable option?

15. Peecmkr May 29, 2016

Personally I would spend the money and have Omega/Swatch do it. They will completely refurbish the watch and you have the peace of mind knowing the repairs are under warranty. I have had a watch serviced there and was very happy with the result.

16. shutterlife May 29, 2016

I had my seamaster serviced at Swatch Culver city. Watch came back looking brand new, with the exception of deep pits.

You got the watch for free, cough up a little dough to have it serviced right the first time. Also servicing through Omega also gives you a two year warranty on the movement.

17. brazenc5 Jun 4, 2016

Might want to call the following to get a rough estimate on service:

The Watch Buyers Group (Pasadena)

ABC Watchwerks (DTLA)

Both are popular with the Rolex crowd...I'm sure they also service Omega.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Edited Jun 4, 2016
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 4, 2016

Jackmond I'd trust him in a second. I had no idea his service fee was so reasonable.

His shop is amazing.