Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch, chronometer run all the time, watch winders?

1. escapizm Jul 30, 2012

Hi
    Ive just added the above to my collection and wonderred what members view is on letting the chrono run all the time, will this increase ware?

Also I often give my watches a rinse in the shower, with my sub this is no problem with its 300m rating was wondering if the none screw down crown is an issue?

Last question, what is member view on winders, now Im not weating the sub should i let it wind down or put on a winder

thanks

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 30, 2012

Sorry, is this a manual wind Speedmaster Pro moonwatch? Because a Speedmaster Moonwatch can't wind on a winder anyway

3. escapizm Jul 30, 2012

Appologies i didnt make it clear, the winder is for my rolex sub.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 30, 2012

Oh ok, with the Speedmaster Pro, if I recall correctly one of the key differences between watches like the Rolex Daytona and Lemania 5100 based watches with vertical clutches and normal chronographs is that when the chronograph is engaged, a sharp triangle toothed gear is meshing which over time does cause wear, and that as a result they should not be run all the time.

On the Rolex Submariner, all subs have have the rotor running on a sleeve bearing system rather than a ball bearing system, as a result they wear heavily over time, and I've personally had a full winding train rebuild required on my 1680 Submariner from 1979 that cost a lot of money. I'd not do it.

I'd also keep the Speedy out of the shower, it can likely take it, but there's no reason to tempt fate.

5. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 30, 2012

Someone please explain any advantage to any watch related to keeping it running perpetually. They all have metal parts, and there is always some level of friction...which will always mean wear. I have never understood the winder thing. Is it to avoid the exhausting chore of setting and winding the watch when you are ready to wear it? I agree that it's not worth the risk to wear a 3570 in the shower. The potential problems far outweigh the cleaning. I used to wash my Daytona in warm soapy water once every few weeks, but it had screw down crown and pushers.

6. ulackfocus Jul 30, 2012

Don't run the chronograph all the time. Once in a while is okay.

The non-screw down crown is not the issue, it's the pushers that can let water in easiest. I'd avoid showering with your Speedmaster just to be safe.

Winders are not necessary. They're convenient for day/date and more complicated watches though to save time resetting all the functions. You don't leave your car running in the driveway all the time, right?

7. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 30, 2012

Wait, so I should shut my car off at night? Be right back.

8. escapizm Jul 30, 2012

Thanks for replies, makes sense, guy in watch shop actualy sugested watch winder for the sub which did not sit right with me due to the above, noted on the moon watch shower, ill remove it! Just bought a nice axis st steel and leather watch box to keep them all in with NO winders. Chrono for occasional use not running all the time understood.

Thanks folks

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 30, 2012

Feel free to post some photos =D

10. petay Jul 30, 2012

i have been told by several people that watch winders are used to keep the watch lube moving. If left not running for a pro longed period of time the lubes can dry out or become sticky.

Regarding the shower - having just bought a speedy pro myself (sorry about the now show on the pics front) how can omega rate it to 50m if its not shower safe? Has no one here ever tried it or warn it in the pool etc?

11. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 30, 2012

My iphone cover is supposed to be waterproof, but I don't intend to test it in the shower or pool to find out. Am I missing an important part of my life by not showering with a watch? I've seen a lot of Speedmasters with signs of moisture inside. Why take the chance if there is no good reason? Now, is it ok to get rained on? Sure. As for the lube drying out, etc....that is probably more likely with the older, non-synthetic lubes. I think watch winders are part of a government conspiracy. I'll give the details as soon as I make them up.

12. petay Jul 30, 2012

i was more wondering how it can be water proof to 50 meter according to omega when no one including the AD has much faith in that claim

13. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 30, 2012

In my experience, MANY watches are "waterproof" to a certain depth, but very few are truly recommended for wear under water. 50 meters seems a little excessive, I agree, and in an emergency, it would probably hold up...mostly.

14. ulackfocus Jul 30, 2012

That was correct 40 or 50 years ago. Modern lubricants are much better now and stay in place. Jewels are shaped to keep oils in the correct spot too.

15. Dash1 Jul 31, 2012

I'm pretty sure a brand new Speedmaster is safely waterproof to 50m, if anything Omega tend to err on the cautious side with the depth rating - for example the Ploprof was rated at 600m but in factory tests didn't let in water untill over 1300m(!)
    The point is it needs to be new or serviced by Omega every year to retain that 50m rating. If you send your watch to them for a service they will pressure test it to that depth. But why risk it.

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 31, 2012

The other thing is the Speedmaster pushers are not waterproof at all if moved while wet. That's why the Daytona has screwdowns to immobilize the pushers, the SMPC and Planet Ocean chronographs are diving chronos with waterproof pushers that can be operated even at full depth rating, but Speedmasters must be dry when the pushers are pressed.

17. petay Jul 31, 2012

that makes sense - well i did not by my speedy for its waterproof rating... thats what the next purchase will be for. Now is it a PO or SMP...... :)