Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Moonphase Master Chronometer - Opinions

1. TucCur Aug 12, 2018

Just wanted to get a fresh batch of opinions on this outstanding chronometer. I’ve read all the reviews online that I can find. Now that it’s been out awhile I wanna see what people are saying right now. I am seriously considering buying this watch, as in the watch is on the way to the AD and I’m actively negotiating. What is a good price point for this watch from an AD (knowing full well what it’s sell for online)? What do you think about it as a collectors piece, as an investment or heirloom? Is there a change coming for 2019, especially in light of 50th anniversary of moon landing?

Looking forward to reading your mind (hearing your thoughts).

8E11F123-2B06-419F-BBFE-A8952F20ADB3.jpeg
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 12, 2018

Collector? Sure. But 25+ years to really being considered vintage

Investment? Buy a used one that has already dropped in value by being 'driven off the dealer's lot'

Heirloom? Would make a great one!

3. TucCur Aug 12, 2018

The prices right now are pretty good and seems like I can buy it with the initial depreciation figured into the price. You did answer my question, because I’d probably keep it for a long time before considering selling and likely pass it on as an heirloom. He movement seems to be one of the finer in house works by Omega based on what I’ve read. Thanks for the reply!

4. BenBagbag Aug 12, 2018

Omega is slowly phasing out all non-master-chronometer movements, so I'd imagine this one (which already is a master chronometer) won't get an update so soon. But who knows?

FWIW I absolutely love this watch. The detail on the moon is stunning.

5. anselmw Aug 12, 2018

I have had mine for about a year. Really love the dial and watch. Thought of getting the all ceramic one but personally think this one looks better. Since it is not a popular model, should be easier to get discounted. I picked mine up brand new for significantly less then msrp.

6. sevykor Aug 13, 2018

IMHO, one of Omega’s best watches. I’ve always been a fan of moonphase watches and Omega hit it out of the park with this one.

7. MrJKLFoams Aug 13, 2018

Found a very minty one for 8K still negotiable 2017 model but the ss with black face. Really considering this one and mvt wise its very robust and that detailed moon with a tickle of footprint is amazing.

8. gttime Aug 17, 2018

I love mine. I added a bracelet and it’s the most worn of my collection.

F8B76BA7-A69A-4997-9AA7-8742CFC3CE4F.jpeg
    speedy_fan, Mcvictory and vbrad26 like this.
  9. speedy_fan Sep 4, 2018

Wow, its stunning in bracelet.

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 5, 2018

Honestly? I think it vastly overpriced when new, a bit too chunky on the wrist and not all that easy to sell in the used market unless the price is right. By which I mean they take a pretty big hit against list price but that is down to my first point ie they are pitched far too high like many other current Omega models. Will they appreciate in value fast? Not if they behave like virtually all other Speedmaster model using a movement other than the 321/861/186X (with one or two exceptions).

Sorry to sound negative but I think it only fair to say you should buy one of those because you like it, not because you think it is a good investment as it very likely isn’t.

11. kelev_ra Sep 5, 2018

In my opinion the blue gives it a cheap look.
    If you like it, that's okay :)
    I prefer my watches black - so I'd go with the regular Speedy Professional Moonphase.

RobSh likes this.
  12. Investr Sep 5, 2018

love IT!!!