Forums Latest Members
  1. Steve.M. Nov 3, 2022

Hi vintage Speedy fans!
    This piece came in last year from the Niece of previous owner so my questions were not really answered…
    An interesting question from someone that encouraged me to create this Thread, Does this reference or similar references come with Sunburst Brushed polish on case around crystal or does it come with high polish? Based on comparing more than a dozen similar pieces I still can’t tell. Maybe someone can help with the question of what does the Original factory finish look like on these pieces? TIA

0B16ACD2-14E5-4E3B-B625-BCB9E35931DE.jpeg
  2. Ocean Nov 3, 2022

From my knowledge sunburst brushed polish but I am not an expert. Waiting for opinions of more experienced members.

Steve.M. likes this.
  3. Steve.M. Nov 3, 2022

Thank you, me too patiently waiting ;)

4. Ascalon Nov 3, 2022

Yes, a Mark III should have the radial brushed finish.
    If it doesn't, it can affect value, but if it doesn't bother you then leave it alone.
    You can restore it to at least a semblance of the original finish yourself.
    Mask the crystal and the crown and pushers, and then lightly rub it with some very fine grit emery paper, or scotchbrite in the radial pattern.
    Works to clean up the case on my Mark II.

5. flqt-9000 Nov 4, 2022

Ascalon likes this.
  6. Steve.M. Nov 7, 2022

Good read, thank you

7. Steve.M. Nov 7, 2022

8. Steve.M. Nov 7, 2022

I appreciate the direction, I may try and share results. Thank you

9. JanV Nov 8, 2022

For the love of god, don’t even consider doing it. Don’t know why anyone would even suggest such a thing to a new member here in the forum. This will devalue the watch immediately if not done by a professional watchmaker.

Steve.M., flqt-9000 and Ascalon like this.
  10. tyrantlizardrex Nov 8, 2022

Never mind “devalue” it will just be bloody awful.

There is so little material on the case as it gets to the bezel edge that any restoration of the case needs to be done incredibly carefully by someone who knows what they are doing.

And even then, depending on how much the case has previously been polished the results might not be quite what you’re hoping for.

Would highly recommended you tread carefully and talk to one of the places who know what they’re doing… Lewis in Australia and STS in the U.K. spring to mind… there are others, but not many.

JanV and Archer like this.
  11. Ascalon Nov 8, 2022

Keep your hair on! ;)

If it is already polished, what's the harm if carefully executed?

A careful masking and brushing is easy for anyone with a modicum of mechanical sympathy.

12. tyrantlizardrex Nov 8, 2022

You could easily make it much worse than it is - and make it harder for someone who knows what they’re doing to fix…

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 8, 2022

I can tell you that repairing "home made" refinishing is often much more difficult than just refinishing a worn case.

People should really leave this kind of thing to the professionals, who are properly equipped for the work.

14. Steve.M. Jan 25, 2023

We do have in-house technician for in-house repairs but we usually leave the vintage stuff as is, My goal was to find out how these left the factory. I probably still have steady hands although I haven’t operated on a movement for a number of years now only busy with sales and client satisfaction with that being said learning the basics of watchmaking at 19 years of age was a lot of fun I never liked Polishing even plexiglass or acrylic crystals not to mention metal. I rather get busy with photography and sales, I appreciate the comments though.

JanV likes this.
  15. Steve.M. Jan 25, 2023

I agree, I usually leave vintage pieces in as is condition. I like how the wear and tear communicates the original character that the watch built over the years.

16. Steve.M. Jan 25, 2023

I didn’t touch the piece we left it in as is condition and surprisingly someone fell in love with it just the way it was.

17. Steve.M. Jan 25, 2023

18. Steve.M. Jan 25, 2023

Doesn’t hurt for sure I wish it were not as polished and luckily someone was already satisfied with the as is finish.