Forums Latest Members
  1. DonovanMartin Apr 15, 2017

I have never modified a watch and I have gone to great lengths in the past to put watches in as close to original order as possible. That being said,
    I am in possession of two Speedmaster Mk II's and a thought has crossed my mind. Dangerous. One is in pretty good shape and the other needs new hands, the dial is ok but would definitely be a candidate for a replacement if I were fixing it up. That said:
    I will probably never be able to find a snoopy dialed moon watch I can afford but the dials come up for sale quite often actually.
    Would the dial fit in the MK II case? The movement is the same 861. It kind of excites me honestly.
    No pictures obviously unless someone out there has done it or has some good photoshop skills.

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 15, 2017

Well I've done it the other way....
    IMG_0648.JPG

3. DonovanMartin Apr 15, 2017

I'd not thought about that. I see NOS Moon cases for sale all the time. That is a nice setup!

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 16, 2017

There's more to the assembly of a watch than if the dial will fit on the movement - all parts of a watch are designed to fit together and provide proper clearances.

The dials differ in that the Mk. II dials are flat, where the Speedy Pro dials are curved. Putting a flat dial in a case for the curved dial moves the center of the dial and the hands away from the inside of the crystal, creating more clearance than with the proper dial. Putting a curved dial inside a case made for a flat dial will move the hands closer to the inside of the flat mineral crystal.

I can't say for sure, but there's a chance that clearance between the hands and inside of the crystal may be a problem.

Cheers, Al

5. DonovanMartin Apr 16, 2017

That is good to know. I may save my $ and look elsewhere for Snoopy options!

6. Misterred Apr 16, 2017

Looking forward to see the result! Keep us posted.

7. TomGW Apr 16, 2017

Would it also mean that a flat dial in a Moonwatch case would push the movement further back and cause the winding stem and the case tube to be misaligned? Possibly this would not be enough to be of any significance??

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 17, 2017

Yes that's right. Not sure how much offset there would be, but not having the stem in the middle of the case tube will cause the stem to bend every time the watch is wound or set - this causes work hardening and eventually the stem will snap.

DonovanMartin likes this.