Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Mk 4.5 - Not really holding charge

1. Jon_Dong Oct 10, 2016

Hi all,

As discussed, my speedy isn't lasting much longer that 6 hours when I've worn it all day.

Will a service fix this or am I looking at new parts needed?

Any advice appreciated.

2. tyrantlizardrex Oct 10, 2016

To answer your question, a proper service will resolve this issue, as it will include replacing any broken/worn parts.

Do you know when it was last/ever serviced?

3. Jon_Dong Oct 11, 2016

I was told it had been done about 6 months before I bought it but no paperwork so not really buying it.

I have noticed that if I give it a good manual wind that it lasts a lot longer than if I have just worn it for a day and taken it off. I actually only find out that I could manually wind it yesterday.

4. tyrantlizardrex Oct 11, 2016

Time for a service by a properly trained watchmaker, who knows what they're doing... and gives you a receipt! :cool:

Jon_Dong likes this.
  5. Jon_Dong Oct 11, 2016

What should I expect to pay?

6. West Slope Oct 11, 2016

I bet it just winds a lot more than you think. I have a 4.5 that does that and it took me a while to realize what was happening. Count the # of full turns and report back....

7. Jon_Dong Oct 12, 2016

Hi West Slope.

Game it 30 turns yesterday morning and its still going now. Looks like I need to give it a quick manual wind when I haven't worn it for a while .

It still have plenty of room left to keep turning it

8. tyrantlizardrex Oct 12, 2016

Wind it all the way until you hit resistance (go easy, you'll feel it coming!), then wear it... and see if it stays charged up.

Service cost wise, these run to £550 at STS in the UK, I believe Omega is a similar cost. :)

9. Jon_Dong Oct 12, 2016

How much? The watch is worth 1500 private sale.

A few people I know use watch doctor in Hertfordshire. Much more reasonable.

10. tyrantlizardrex Oct 12, 2016

These are expensive watches to service - being Cat4 A on the Omega price list (£650).

STS charge £550 from memory.

With either the Omega or STS service, you know what you're getting... fully trained watchmakers, genuine parts, a full service, and a 2 year guarantee.

If you're happy with your watchmaker, that's great.

As a side note, market value of a watch, has nothing to do with the service costs.

11. Jon_Dong Oct 12, 2016

I appreceiate the info.

Regarding your side note, you're telling me

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  12. TomGW Oct 12, 2016

I'm not so sure that this is an indication of anything being too badly wrong.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that you've been lifting the watch (after a period of not wearing it and it not running) setting the time and simply wearing it all day, without manually winding it at the start. Then it continues to run for about 6 hours after you take it off. If that's the case I would say that there is nothing too seriously amiss. Obviously if 'all day' is roughly 12 hours, with 'all night' being roughly the same, a build up of 6 hours reserve each day is not enough to keep it going in perpetuity, but don't forget, the Cal 1045 only winds in one direction so won't build up a power reserve at the same rate as other watches that wind in both directions.
    If you manually wind it at the beginning, then wear it all day, it should not need to be manually wound again, if you continue to wear it daily. If that proves to not be the case then it isn't performing as it should but nothing to get stressed about.

13. Jon_Dong Oct 12, 2016

You hit it right on the head and that's. Exactly the situation. I have 5 watches so it can go for a week or so with no use. Now I know it needs a little wind to get going, all seems well.

14. TomGW Oct 12, 2016

If it's been generating enough power to keep itself going all day, plus an extra 6 hours or so, it's not too bad. At that rate it should take about a week to out of steam. Enjoy your watch. I have a very similar Mk4, which doesn't get worn sufficiently to allow me to know how long mine would keep going, day after day.

Jon_Dong likes this.