Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Leather Strap/Clasp Help

1. Cool Breeze Aug 6, 2016

I'm contemplating buying a traditional moonwatch speedy with steel bracelet but would like to also have the look of a leather strap for more formal occasions or just when I want a change. If I were to get the steel bracelet speedy, what are my choices for a leather strap and clasp?

What are the part numbers for the leather strap and clasp that comes on the leather version and where do you recommend acquiring them? If I wanted to go aftermarket for just the strap, what strap makers do you all like and what dimension should I be looking for? I know the speedy has 20mm lugs but I am unsure of the taper.

Thank you!

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 6, 2016

Basically infinite. You can buy the OEM strap and deployant for @ $500? Or buy any 20mm strap and they come with hardware. Prices range from $20 to ?????

3. Cool Breeze Aug 6, 2016

Thank you. I guess what I am looking for is the the part number for the OEM deployment clasp that comes on the classic omega speedmaster moonwatch in the leather strap. I am not necessarily looking to pay 250+ for an OEM leather strap so was wondering what specs I would need to order something aftermarket that would work with both the watch and the OEM deployment clasp. A link to purchase it online would also be helpful if possible. Thank you.

4. WatchVaultNYC Aug 6, 2016

.. so many on amazon and Ebay..

5. Cool Breeze Aug 6, 2016

This is clearly not working so let's try this another way....

I am contemplating purchasing an Omega Speedmaster Professional model number 311.30.42.30.01.005 (as in the newer version of 3570.50) with the steel bracelet.

I was thinking that it would be nice to have a leather band to switch to if I wanted. So I was curious as to what leather band and clasp was used on model number 311.33.42.30.01.001 (as in the new version of 3870.50.31)

I was able to deduce from this webpage (http://www.ofrei.com/page749.html) that the stock leather band is model number 98000008 that is 20mm at the lugs and 16mm at the clasp. Ofrei says it uses the clasp model number 9452-1613 (16mm). HOWEVER, NOWHERE on the site does it actually sell that model number clasp.

It does sell however model number 9452-1813 (http://www.ofrei.com/page573.html) which appears to be the same as the 9452-1613 except in 18mm. Additionally, most of the Hirsch straps are 20mm to 18mm instead of 20mm to 16mm so this might work out fine and be the preferred workaround.

That being said, I'm assuming I can't be the first to realize this as there has to be someone out there that needed a replacement 20mm to 18mm leather band for his 311.33.42.30.01.001 (as in the new version of 3870.50.31) model speedmaster????

Am I missing something? Forgive my noobness.

6. keepitsimple Aug 7, 2016

The Omega deployants/deployments (to please all ;)) are very nice and work beautifully. I have one on a Railmaster and on an AT. There are after market straps available for them at 20mm>18mm if you search.

Hirsch make nice straps, but bear in mind that normal straps don't work properly. Firstly there is a gap for the tang which is obviously unused, and shows unless you can fill it somehow. Bigger problem, is that the relative lengths of the 2 parts of a normal strap are wrong, and the deployment/deployant won't sit in the right place on your wrist.

Cousins, for one, sell after market ones designed for the Omega version which look pretty good - in black, brown or orange alligator (genuine not embossed) at a bargain £59.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/handmade-deployment-alligator-genuine-padded-for-omega

If you want something less "dressy", there's a nice horween leather one on the 'bay at the moment for $150 among several others.

The Tag Heuer version of the buckle is similar so a strap for that may work, although you'd need to pierce it at the right point.

Other suppliers are available if you have a look.

7. yinzerniner Aug 7, 2016

Search is your friend:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/help-with-straps.32974/
    Also, the strap is alligator, NOT leather.
    Clasps, buckles, bracelets and other accessories are NEVER listed on the Omega site. You'd have to either visit an AD or OB to access the latest accessories catalog.
    The OEM Omega deploy clasp will not work well with other straps since the mechanism operates in a different manner and with different proportions than regular tang, butterfly or fold-over buckles/clasps.
    Once again, search is your friend. All of the info you're looking for is easily available if you do a search with the correct terms.
    Good luck with the search.

8. alam Aug 7, 2016

I find Omega deployant clasps very comfortable to wear, easy to put on/remove on the wrist and they put less stress on leather straps as compared to tang buckles. I just picked this "rally" from the OB the other day...

:)

thumb_IMG_3061_1024.jpg
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 7, 2016

image.jpg
    There is this OEM too. Great for hot summer days. @$150

145.022-76

10. kurtj29 Aug 11, 2016

Buy the Hirsch Strap and Deployant. I am really happy with mine. I would go for the 20mm to 18mm buckle. Hirsch straps are a lot of bang for the buck and I just recently picked up their deployant for my Zenith and I really like it. The Hirsch Deployant works with standard straps that have keepers. The Omega deployant from what I see needs a strap without keepers.

image.jpeg

11. Clibka Aug 18, 2016

I would also look at B and R bands for an aftermarket solution. I think I would desire 3-4 different leather bracelets/colors for the cost of one oem. My .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Clibka Aug 18, 2016

A picture for reference, they have more formal options if needed. [​IMG]

13. w.finkenstaedt Aug 18, 2016

B and R are great straps, but are about 1% of the quality of OEM.

OP, if you want OEM, get OEM. The alligator is now $400, and deployant $280. It's expensive, but well worth the cost. Have yet to find another brand that uses better quality straps even at 3-10x the cost (ran into a $350k Patek whose strap was noticeably worse than the Globemaster gator that's on my AT).

Also please don't use Ofrei. They don't have a parts account anymore and are jacking up prices on OEM parts because of it.

14. alam Aug 18, 2016

:thumbsup: I can vouch for this too, the price for the Rally strap (OME-98000024) was less at the OB than the price at listed at Ofrei.com

w.finkenstaedt likes this.
  15. w.finkenstaedt Aug 18, 2016

In my experience this is true 90%+ of the time. OBs will also usually comp shipping if you're buying from them and don't live nearby.