Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Hodinkee LE - Arrivals Thread

1. brandnew2 Dec 11, 2018

Despite being a fan of Speedmasters and Omegas in general for a long time (and trying on many, many models at my local Omega boutique over the years), I’ve actually never owned one, so this is my first, and I couldn't be happier. I ordered through the Hodinkee website before they sold out and just received mine as part of the first batch that shipped out this week.

First impressions: I really, really, like it. Say what you want about the overabundance of Omega LEs, but I like having watches that are a bit offbeat or that otherwise have something interesting about them, and this certainly meets that criteria. I plan to wear this often.

Pictures and some notes below...

The box:

[​IMG]

Manual and materials:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Opening the box...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The watch itself...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Comes in a nice travel case that's built into the presentation box and can be removed:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The included leather strap is soft and looked very comfortable, but unfortunately it was just too big for my small wrists (not enough holes in the strap), so I took it off almost immediately.

Here it is on the very nice Omega NATO:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the general bulk of NATO straps, so then I swapped on the blue davenport strap that Hodinkee sold along with the watch as a $99 add-on. This was perfect and I think looks great:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lume shot:

[​IMG]

Davenport strap length/holes vs. the length/hole position of the Omega strap:

[​IMG]

Again, very very happy with my purchase (I'm also a huge fan of Hodinkee in general, so take that as you will). Happy to answer any questions for anyone interested.

2. kilofinal Dec 11, 2018

congrats

brandnew2 likes this.
  3. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 11, 2018

Hot damn that’s nice!! I’m so jealous. Thanks for all the photos. Fantastic stuff

brandnew2 likes this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 11, 2018

Good to see someone happy with their choice.
    Didn't really look into this when it came out so good to see through your shots.
    (just realised its a 1861 movement)

Omegafanman and Foo2rama like this.
  5. brandnew2 Dec 11, 2018

Funny, just found a typo in the pamphlet (which doubles as the certificate of authenticity) - see photo 3. Calls the seconds subdial a 30-minute interval rather than a 30-seond interval.

Agalle and waveguide like this.
  6. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 11, 2018

If you get ridiculously lucky, they noticed and corrected that in some of the pamphlets. Then yours with the mistake will be a goldmine ;)

brandnew2 likes this.
  7. SpeedyMcNasty Dec 11, 2018

+1... didn’t realize it was the manual movement either. Makes me like this model even more. Great pictures!

8. snarkq Dec 11, 2018

Thank you for the photos! And the Lume shot! I've been waiting to see one ever since the announcement.

brandnew2 likes this.
  9. snarkq Dec 11, 2018

Just like the FOIS (same case, too)

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 11, 2018

There is no 30 seconds interval.... it’s a 861 movement.

11. brandnew2 Dec 11, 2018

Ah, I know, but they refer to the seconds sub-dial as a "30-second interval" hand because of the propeller shape and the black/blue subdial halves. From the original Hodinkee write-up: "Further, the running seconds register is blue and black – taking inspiration from a particular example of an Omega, with a 30-second interval hand, a first for any Omega."

The pamphlet misidentifies this as a 30-minute interval.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 11, 2018

Are you sure they are not referring to the bottom sub dial?

13. waveguide Dec 12, 2018

Great to see the first of the 500 arrivals! Looking forward to seeing many more soon! Thanks for starting this arrivals thread!!

brandnew2 likes this.
  14. ama98 Dec 12, 2018

I think it is a very interesting piece. Thank you for the excellent post!
    I am sure it carries more sentimental value to the Hodinkee team. Collaboration with a major Swiss luxury brand is quite something in my books.
    I am curious to see how it will measure to ST1 and ST2 in terms of collectability and price fluctuation...

youncs, incursore61 and brandnew2 like this.
  15. brandnew2 Dec 12, 2018

Yes - read the text of the pamplet:

"The black and blue subdial at 9 o'clock is perhaps the most essential part of the "Day-Date" tribute. Originally featured as a day/night indicator, it has now been transformed into a 30-minute interval with a dual-sided hand."

They are specifically referring to the black/blue subdial at 9'oclock that has a dual-sided hand. This is the running seconds indicator (which Hodinkee referred to as a 30-second interval hand).

waveguide and Foo2rama like this.
  16. brandnew2 Dec 12, 2018

Of course - glad to finally be able to contribute to this community!

ama98 likes this.
  17. boltman Dec 12, 2018

I need to answer my phone today if I see a Northern Va are code

waveguide likes this.
  18. Exarkun12 Dec 12, 2018

Congrats! Love how they integrated a watch travel case into the packaging...

19. Morseman Dec 12, 2018

Me too!

20. fskywalker Dec 12, 2018

Congrats! The travel case that pops out of the box is really cool! :thumbsup:

brandnew2 likes this.