Forums Latest Members

SOLD Omega Speedmaster Day-Date Mk40 "Schumacher" 3820.53.

1. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 12, 2019

Respectable OF members who don't bump daily :D

I am selling my Omega Speedmaster Day-Date Mk40 "Schumacher" 3820.53.

As most of the folks who have an internet connection know by now, this piece has seen a recent resurgence of interest as it was the basis that Hodinkee's (in)famous H10 was inspired from - and for good reasons. This watch has a lot of personality, the colorful design makes it really stand out, as the black-and-blue 24h subdial at 9 o'clock, the red chrono hands, the wingtip-shaped yellow date indicator, all this really make it pop! Ben Clymer's now-famous grandfather had a great taste in watches it seems:cool:

The watch is in incredible cosmetic shape. When I purchased it last year I looked for the best one I could find: this one is about pristine, if only for a few strap change love marks, some minor dings under the northwest lug, and a barely noticeable one on top of the southeast one - which I hadn't noticed until I took the macro pictures, as you know macros tend to magnify imperfections. The tritium on the dial has superbly patinated with a warm, light brown nuance. The hands have aged a couple of hues clearer. The dial looks as immaculate to me as can be. Lovely seahorse caseback with perfectly visible serial.

I will steal some description elements from Fratello - thank you RJ and the crew.

The automatic movement of the Speedmaster Day-Date is Omega’s caliber 1151. This movement is based on the famous ETA / Valjoux 7751 movement. A work-horse and different from the Speedmaster Reduced (3510.50) that uses an ETA 2890-A2 with a Dubois-Depraz chronograph module on top, the Valjoux 7751 in the Mk40 is a dedicated chronograph movement, whereas the Speedmaster Reduced uses a so-called piggybacking movement.

The 1151 is one heck of little of a movement too, with a significant amount of complications packed in this compact package. All dates and chrono functions work as they should. I've timed that Mk40 and it runs within a few seconds a day - I don't have the details about the service history though.

The 55MM serial dates it back to 1997, so this is one of the first version ones with the tritium dial, even though it is not written T Swiss Made T on the dial - More information here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/slight-differences-in-omega-speedmaster-mk40-triple-day-date.39467/.

This ref. has been discontinued but some info is still available on Omega's page here: https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-speedmaster-day-date-38205326
    (and the pic of their watch looks crap compared to mine :D)

Specs:
    Case size: 39mm ex. crown
    Crystal: Sapphire
    Crown and pushers: Perfect shape, signed crown - Date adjuster on the left side
    Lug width: 18mm
    Bracelet: Original Omega black leather with white stitching in fantastic shape and signed buckle
    No B&P, but I will ship in a very nice Christie's padded, zipped travel case.

I would like to get 2400EUR including fully insured shipping from Switzerland to Western Europe, paid by wire, net to me. If you are in other parts of the world, let's talk about how to get it to you, I'm sure we can find a smart way :thumbsup: If you are in the Lemanic area, then I’d be glad to give you a discount, meet you in person, hand it over to you, and the beer is on me . I am primarily looking for cash, no trades for now please.

(undoctored pics below, natural outdoors lighting)
    IMG_20190312_072838929_HDR.jpg IMG_20190312_072834276_HDR.jpg IMG_20190312_072728734_HDR~3.jpg IMG_20190312_072722410_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20190312_072712964_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20190312_072653122_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20190312_072643387_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20190312_072619922_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20190312_072614764_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20190312_072417526_HDR.jpg

SALES TERMS (inspired by Spacefruit's)

I only sell to bring some new pieces to my collection. I am not motivated by profit and so I have no reason to embellish or over describe, but I am not bothered by an uplift. I have (mostly) bought and sold (some) watches on www.OmegaForums.net and you can find my feedback by searching my username. I have met some omegaforums members in person in the Lemanic area as well as in Biel a few times, and I hope I made a good impression on them. I am not a watch dealer, I make my money elsewhere, watches are my pleasure, but I’m not a philanthropist either. I am not in the least offended by offers, as long as you aren't desperetely lowballing me.

Returns:

I have done my best to provide as much info as I could. I will happily answer all your questions before the sale, and snap more pictures for you. I will not take returns for this watch unless you consider it is grossly misrepresented and you are willing to have a discussion about it all, openly, on omegaforums, i.e. not by PM but into the limelight, as I value my fellow OF members opinions. I am opinionated, but not stubborn :)

Payment

Payment by Bank Transfer only. Paypal are a bunch of thieves. I am asking for a "net to me" amount not because I can't man up, but because depending on where the thing ships to and where payment is made from, the extras to handle this all can amount to a chunky amount of cash, which, compared to the value of this piece, can be ridiculously significant. Were I selling a $150K Daytona, I wouldn't bother, but on a smaller watch, it does make a difference. Face to face delivery is always welcome in the Lemanic area.

Thank you OF for the space! :)

Paul

Edited Mar 12, 2019
    jB1128, Fritzer, DRjre086 and 4 others like this.
  2. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 14, 2019

BUMP to help watchrecon, as per @ConElPueblo former insight :whistling:

I had it on timegrapher just to be sure... it's just amazing. The 1151's beat error is 0.0ms to 0.1ms in pretty much all positions, while accuracy is litterally within a handful of seconds a day. Doesn't get much better than this... COSC watch for 2400EUR, anyone? :D

(reasonable) offers welcome :thumbsup:

3. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 18, 2019

OHPF. will update when completed. Thank you. Paul

4. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 21, 2019

As I could see it coming from the beginning, the wannabe-buyer backed out... That nice Mk40 is back on the block:)

Try me....::rimshot::

Paul

Edited Mar 25, 2019
  5. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 25, 2019

OHPF again with another buyer that certainly looks more reliable than the first one :thumbsup: will update when sold for good. thanks OF.

Edit - now officially paid for, hence SOLD. Thank you to the reliable buyer the whole OF crew and this great community.::love::

Edited Mar 27, 2019
    auxpomme and eugeneandresson like this.