Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster dark side of the moon Black Black

1. nima0071 Oct 28, 2015

went in to the boutique tonight for the new specter movie event and while I was there I checked out some new pieces. I love the gray side of the moon it is diffently stunner but then I saw the Black Black and it's something else. I love it but it is kind of hard to tell time I might be wrong but I want to know everyone else's thought. Here are some photos to enjoy. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Oct 28, 2015

Although I'm not keen on most of these new 'special' versions - I think Omega are overdoing it - this one is nicely moody. It is a little ironic though that one of the features that has contributed so much to the classic Speedmaster's iconic status - the extreme clarity of the dial's markings and layout - is not evident on this one: reading the time must in some light conditions give rise to serious squinting and gurning! Not really a reason not to buy from my viewpoint - I never wear a watch for time-telling purposes, and one of my favourite watches - my '68 Breitling Navitimer 816 - has a dial that renders the hands practically invisible!

Eve likes this.
  3. Maganator Oct 28, 2015

The black black is lovely. Legibility may be an issue but nobody buys a watch to tell the time anyway.

I would go for the black.

Omegafanman likes this.
  4. abrod520 Oct 28, 2015

I love the original Dark Side but this goes a bit too far in the "Big Black Watch" direction IMO.

Sure, I don't need the legibility of a Speedmaster, but it's still one of my favorite elements of the model and is a hallmark design trait.

5. chickenman26 Oct 28, 2015

I'm going to have to change my screen name to Mr. Nobody.

6. shutterlife Oct 28, 2015

I saw the black black in person, and it just didn't do it for me. Maybe I'll pick up a Sedna black, but I might change my mind after seeing it in person.

7. Hijak Oct 28, 2015

Glad to see this post CM, thought I was in the minority for a moment, using my
    watches to tell the time...silly me.:oops:

8. abrod520 Oct 28, 2015

+1 . I use my phone as a regulator, but look to my wrist when I want to tell the time in any particular moment!

I am a bad millennial ;)

9. ConElPueblo Oct 28, 2015

I have to post this again:

[​IMG]

pennsyl936, CTS-V, rmarks and 6 others like this.
  10. bhziii Oct 28, 2015

I looked at the black black this past weekend. The original DS is what I was leaning towards, but then I considered the black black for about a day. I still use my watch to tell time and look at the date so it didn't make sense to me. The GS seems more versatile. Still haven't made a decision. I wanted to see the pitch black but they didn't have one in stock to look at.

11. Maganator Oct 29, 2015

Ha. I was only kidding - I too am a Mr Nobody

12. guelerct Oct 29, 2015

They all have their nice points but the gsotm has all of the best elements in my opinion. It dresses up, it dresses down, it is very legible, and it looks great!

13. cuts33 Oct 29, 2015

Grey Side hands down.

14. bryanmanio Oct 30, 2015

Way too illegible in my opinion. Grey all the way.

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 30, 2015

How good would it be if you could mix and match from each model

ie; black black with grey side hands and dark side bezel

::popcorn::

gttime likes this.
  16. Andreas Oct 30, 2015

I think omega is overdoing it with all these "dark side" models. I imagine if i had payed the full retail price on the original dark side of the moon (which I think it looks way better than these) i would be pissed.
    They are just killing the future value of the watch by putting out all these models. It was supposed to be a unique watch.
    The way it works (not just for watches) is if you have a nice product that you believe on, insist on it.
    How can other brands sell the same watch for years and years?
    No other watch instead of the original moonwatch its gonna become "iconic" or keep good money value by doing this

17. nedley Oct 31, 2015

Looks very fashionable on you. I agree that telling time could be difficult but the same can be true with the GSotM, depending on the circumstances.

18. Travelller Jan 12, 2016

Along with the DSotM, the Pitch Black's my favorite of the 2015 iterations. I had a real hard time figuring out what was "lumed" on it; on my first visit (Boutique), I had my ~220 lumen LED but couldn't see anything light up aside from the markers, main hands and tachy. Much like the GSotM and "Black Vintage", both reviewed by "Timeless Luxury watches" here. At the request of the sales person, I "charged" the Black-Black and neither one of us could see anything light up. Quite frustrating.

Then after some "eye witnesses" assured me there was much more than meets the eye (so to speak), I went back for a more careful analysis... !

[​IMG]

vs. "Vintage Black"
    [​IMG]

vs. "Black Black"
    [​IMG]

only downside, lacquer is off-white...
    [​IMG]

Hard to see, but the lumed part of the hand is literally "sprinkled" with lume. That's why the hand glows but the "eye" doesn't... .
    [​IMG]

19. bhziii Jan 13, 2016

Thanks for the photos.

20. CTS-V Jan 13, 2016

The lume is sharp.....