Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Chronograph Issue

1. gundamzero Dec 17, 2015

have a Brand new Omega Speedmaster Pro 3750. I just got it about a month ago.

I noticed today that when the chronograph is running, the seconds hand does not do a steady sweep. It will stop, jump and struggle while it is sweeping.

Is this something I should be concerned about. What could be causing the problem?

I have read if I run the chrono for 48 hours straight, it should help smoothen up the sweep. This is a little disheartening, because my $650 Halios sweeps more gracefully than my $6000 Omega.

Any advice?? Have any of you experienced this problem with my Speedy?

2. italy1861 Dec 17, 2015

How old is it? 3750 could be up to 16 years old.... If it's more than 3-4 years old it needs to be serviced.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 17, 2015

The Speedy is a slowish beat watch, so its never going to sweep smoothly and will always be less smooth than your Halios which has a higher beat rate. Is this how it looks below?

4. gundamzero Dec 17, 2015

It was made in 2015, according to the box.

5. Civilguy007 Dec 17, 2015

I recently had my older Speedmaster Pro serviced by Omega. After one month, I noticed the chrono sweeping erratically, often pausing for a second as it passed 12. I brought it back to the Boutique and they immediately shipped it back to their service center. They said warranty work gets first priority.

Assuming you purchased this with warranty, bring it back.

6. italy1861 Dec 18, 2015

If you bought it from an Omega boutique or AD take it back and they'll take care of it. The video dsio posted is how it should normally sweep. If it doesn't look like that, something is up.

7. Canuck Dec 18, 2015

My 25 year old Apollo XI Speedmaster does exactly that. It was doing that right out of the box. Same goes with my Rolex Daytona, and my Bucherer chrono. I probably have half a dozen other earlier sweep seconds models that do,it as well. It comes from the fact that many watches (including your Speedmaster) have indirectly driven sweep seconds hands. With this arrangement, there is "lash" between the driving and the driven gears. If the lash wasn't there, the watch wouldn't run! The lash is supposed to be controlled by a tension spring on the centre sweep seconds gear. I say supposed, because it is difficult to completely eliminate the "jump" in a seconds hand that does this. By all means, see if the tech can eliminate it, but no harm will come if he can't.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 18, 2015

As we discussed in your thread on WUS yesterday and our PM's there today, take it to Swatch in Toronto and have them adjust the friction spring for the chronograph runner.

Cheers, Al

9. gundamzero Dec 18, 2015

Thanks Al, that's what I will do.

I really do appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us.