Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Automatic, model? confusing marks

1. JanValencia Mar 27, 2017

Hi all,
    Hope someone can steer me right. I am trying to find out about this and learning about fake vs real.
    On a trip to Vietnam I found an Omega Speedmaster automatic (I know, I know probably fake).

Normally I am not into flashy watches (saw too many pilots obsessing over them during my gliding days :) )
    but I found this style suited me nicely, a smaller case around 39 mm which sits more comfortable on my wrist, I like that it is a bit understated.
    Although for the price and location of the buy, (100 bucks in Hanoi back alley shop) it's probably fake and best case stolen. Overall it does not look like an obvious fake (jeweller replaced the wristband and could not tell).

Fake or not, I am very curious though what model it could be:
    Markings on the face says Omega Speedmaster Automatic, backplate says Broadarrow (although the hands don't look like Broadarrow hands as far as I can tell).
    going through various listings I can´t seem to find a match, my best guess is a 70's or 80's vintage.

The bezel is stainless steel, the face is black with an unusual co-axial dial layout, top month, right day of month, bottom 24h, and left day indication.

Looking at the telltale signs for fake watches there is nothing obvious I can see: (learning here, glad to be corrected)

The hands all seem to be correct length and line up with the respective markings The hands are narrow although the back says Broadarrow (so best case the back or hands were replaced?), they are luminescent for a while (so might have deteriorated with age, I guess that would happen with older hands).)

Watch runs fine, keeps time pretty accurately. When moving it you can hear and feel the watch winding.
    The cover seems to be scratch resistant and clear when looking at an angle (no clouding or color shift)

Have not dared to open it yet but the movement is definitely mechanical.

I quite like wearing it, nice size for me, classy without being too flashy.
    It's been years since I had a wristwatch but there's something about a mechanical watch that's nice, trying to reduce smartphone usage :)
    Would be great if anybody can identify the model, determining fake or not is going to be difficult from pictures I guess.

SAM_6351.JPG SAM_6363.JPG SAM_6365.JPG
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 27, 2017

It is completely fake.

Smash it with a hammer.

3. mrod3950 Mar 27, 2017

Sorry, not even a chronograph. IMG_20170307_195627952.jpg

4. Slipstreamer Mar 27, 2017

Fake!

5. mrod3950 Mar 27, 2017

Mine is a 1992, Cal 1155. Your watch is cool but not an Omega or Chrono.

6. FREDMAYCOIN Mar 27, 2017

Its a modern fake with a fake movement and all the fake features known to fake watches.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  7. mrod3950 Mar 27, 2017

Check with this forum before buying another name brand watch.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 27, 2017

Fake and most likely quartz

Also easy to tell fake from pictures. They key on this one is chronograph pushers and no chronograph.

9. JanValencia Mar 27, 2017

Thought so, for 100 buck did not expect it to be real either. Was curious about which model it tried to copy though...
    Still like it :), nice to know it's fake so if/when I lose it or smash it won´t be a big loss hehe, won´t smash it myself with any hammers though...

10. JanValencia Mar 27, 2017

one day might go for a decent real one...

11. tyrantlizardrex Mar 27, 2017

You paid $100 for that?
    Please tell us they had a gun to your head, or incriminating pictures? ::facepalm1::

12. mrod3950 Mar 27, 2017

Sorry. The model is Speedmaster professional, Cal 1155, 1992 I believe. IMG_20170307_195627952.jpg

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 27, 2017

Just noticed "jeweler could not tell" find a new jeweler. Should be obvious from the pushers and sundials that this is not real to anyone that knows anything about watches.

Also pull the back I'm pretty sure it's quartz. There is not a mechanical movement with that layout but there is a quartz one.

14. JanValencia Mar 27, 2017

ah well, impulse buy... what can I say... knew right after walking away it probably wasn´t smart.

It did get me into investigating the whole mechanical watch thing, always assumed they were nothing I'd be interested in, but it's strangely fascinating. I like the look and feel of watches that were built as tools not jewels, as that´s too flashy for my taste. Kind of like the idea now of a vintage Speedmaster someday.

About the movement, now that I know it's a fake will not be so cautious about taking the back off myself, from what I can tell (not that I know anything apparently) it's definitely an automatic movement, you feel the rotor when it moves and runs about a day and a half before needs winding again. (If it is off my wrist for a while, on wrist it keeps going)

thanks for the feedback!

15. mrod3950 Mar 27, 2017

Be thankful you didn't buy a fake for thousands, some people have. I urge you to get a nice mechanical from an authorized dealer. One can be had for less than 3K. Look into the so-called grey market for a good bargain. Also look into a Kickstarter watch like The Rebel. If you are in a big city go to a nice watch store see if they have certified pre-owned. Best.

16. JanValencia Mar 27, 2017

cheers,
    will definitely consult here before plonking down serious cash!

17. WatchWarlock Mar 27, 2017

The band looks nice though! :D