Forums Latest Members
  1. Omega Basel Dec 19, 2015

Hello
    First I have to say that my english is not so good.
    My father gave me this nice watch, but it is to big for my little Hands. We already went to the Omega Museum in Biel, and we get a certification for it. It was realy nice to see how he worked behind the window and checked this watch.
    I can not find any sellings for this watch. Maybe someone know the price. Sorry, what is an image url? Thanks a lot

2. incabloc Dec 19, 2015

did you mean the golden one ?

3. Omega Basel Dec 19, 2015

Yes, that one that the astronouts get and the president. Try to upload the picture. [​IMG]

Etp095 likes this.
  4. incabloc Dec 19, 2015

did you have the original box and Papers also ?

5. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Dec 19, 2015

Nice gift from your father. Was he an astronaut? Or a president?

ConElPueblo and Hijak like this.
  6. Omega Basel Dec 19, 2015

I dont know if the box is the original, but it is not that one this the moonrock. The Papers should be the original.
    ;)No he is not, i think only the first 15 ones was for them, this is number 356. My father is old so he think about his afterlife:(.
    I saw you have the same one?

7. incabloc Dec 19, 2015

yes i have the same one.....have sent you a PM. If you are from Basel then we are just 40min apart

Omega Basel likes this.
  8. Omega Basel Dec 20, 2015

Someone else some infos for me? Here some more pictures to check the condition. It´s not bad, but maybe it worth it to bring it to Biel because it´s not so far from here. I made now cleaning or polishing befor taking these pictures. Is Chrono24 the best place for selling watches like this one?
    merci, vielen Dank, Thank you...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 20, 2015

Important. Do not clean or polish the watch anymore, that can hurt the value.

Taddyangle likes this.
  10. Omega Basel Dec 20, 2015

ok, thanks for the info Steve! I never did a polishing, cleaning I would read maybe something before I do. But maybe I bring it to Biel, so they will do it for me. But in Biel they do polishing too?

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 20, 2015

On a watch like this any polishing can hurt value, even if Biel does it. Collectors want a watch to be untouched.

Omega Basel and tpatta like this.
  12. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Dec 20, 2015

If your plan is to sell the watch the only thing I would suggest is to have a qualified watch technician open the watch and get some pictures of the movement. They will help in determining an overall value. As @cicindela says, do not have the watch polished. It may decrease the value in the eyes of collectors. Regarding the size of the watch on your wrist I don't think it is too big at all for you. Looks stunning. Since it was your fathers and you indicate he is in bad health I would consider keeping it as a great memory.

Omega Basel, Taddyangle and MikiJ like this.
  13. repoman Dec 20, 2015

Please consider selling it here on omegaforums.net. there is a minimum 200 post rule to be able to sell, but you can talk to the moderators and they can grant exceptions to this rule. Very cool watch, good luck whatever you decide.

Omega Basel and tpatta like this.
  14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 20, 2015

The market for this reference is surprisingly transparent given the rarity, and indeed the desirability of this, the first 18kt Speedmaster as well as being the first Speedmaster limited edition.

They come on to the market with surprising regularity and sell for $12,000 to $20,000.

At Christies they sold lot 14 for $19,000+25% premium, 16 for $40,000+ and 21 for $13,000 +.

The thing that adds value is the presence of a sculptured crater box, and the original maroon DO90 bezel. In Christies case lot 16 was an astronauts watch and may, with hindsight, seem cheap.

The best article ever written on them is here:
    http://www.watchcarefully.com/articles/speedmaster.html

Etp095 likes this.
  15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 20, 2015

To underline what has been said re servicing, ANYTHING you do to this watch will reduce the value, AND be a total waste of money.

Collectors, like me, want to do any work themselves so we can know exactly whats been done, and restrict any work to the bare minimum to preserve the originality.

16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 20, 2015

....and never, ever ever give it to Biel, should you ever want to sell it to any of us!

17. Omega Basel Dec 20, 2015

dear tpatta: Thank you for the tips. When we went to the Omega Museum in Biel he checked the watch for about 10 Minutes. I don´t like watches with only gold, but this one I like. But It is definitly too big. I told my father that we should make holiday instead. He is old but his health is still ok.

18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 20, 2015

Best place to sell is here.
    Assuming you have not already!

Or give it to Christies!

That will cost you though

I suggest put it up (here) with an ask of $15,000 and be ready to receive offers over 10k. How much over 10, well the market will decide.

Etp095, repoman and Taddyangle like this.
  19. Omega Basel Dec 20, 2015

Dear spacefruit,

Thank you for your informations. The website you gave is realy nice to read. I also found some in German language too. So I have so much input at this moment.
    I already recived some offers over 15tsd. Why should be Christies better than Chrono24? Is it right that Christies take 25% from the buyer+something from the seller?

20. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Dec 20, 2015

Yes from the hammer price, buyer has to add 20-25% and seller "leaves" 10-15% to auctioner. Example: for a hammer of 13k:
    - buyer pays 16.25k
    - seller gets only 11.05k
    - auctioner takes 3.25 + 1.85 = 5.1k

-> not a good deal for sellers and for buyers, except for some special cases

Etp095 likes this.