Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 15 35th anniversary. Why has it lagged in popularity?

1. jsalasrush Dec 14, 2017

hey. So I’ve been looking at this watch for a while, finally got one in good condition and good price, should arrive Monday.

But, one thing I have noticed is that I find it beautiful and unique... yet it hasn’t taken off in price as many other limited editions.

What’s everyones take on it ?

Stock photo provided

Please share your thoughts and pictures if you’re an owner. 693317AA-C3ED-4CFF-BD1C-FD2B1282B837.jpeg

gippo, Pun and lustrousaurus like this.
  2. keepschanging Dec 14, 2017

“...if you’re an owner.”.

Surely it’s exactly the opposite category of people you want to ask. Owners will presumably say, I don’t know why it isn’t as popular, I think it’s great, that’s why I bought it...

Those who didn’t buy it may be able to provide their reasons and this may be a more telling indication.

I have other LEs but not this one for the purely subjective reason that the colouring of this one doesn’t appeal to me as much (though still nice!).

That’s the demand side of the supply/demand equilibrium by which value is determined. There may be a supply factor too, as white/light-colour dials on speedmasters are more scarce.

3. BenBagbag Dec 14, 2017

Not sure you wanna go down this road (solociting internet opinions) now that you already bought the watch. :)
    Not sure what occasion that would call for. It's not casual but not dressy. Maybe more formal side of business casual?

jsalasrush likes this.
  4. jsalasrush Dec 14, 2017

I just like discussing things worth discussing. As to owners are biased. Yes and no. I mean.,, I own watches I love but don’t get much wrist time. As well as I have a watch that I like... but not that much so it’s my daily beater. Watch collecting is weird. We all have different reasons for owning different pieces. I bought this one for its vintage look and that two tone subdued bling. Goes well with my usual semi formal attire.

On the other hand I have 6 other Speedy’s and each one has their own reason for being.

I ranted. Sorry... I’m xcited to receive it and curious as to why it’s been one of the easiest and cheapest to source out of (what I believe) are gorgeous limited editions.

5. jsalasrush Dec 14, 2017

Weird thing. I needed a “beater” car for taking my dogs to the beach and picking up construction gear and the sorts. Things that have tend to f up my car somewhat.

So I went and bought a car that I usually not a fan of, just so I don’t feel I need to treat it so well. It’s like, you can’t like something too much or it might not serve it’s purpose.

Does that make sense?

6. abrod520 Dec 14, 2017

It's a good-looking watch, and pretty unusual to see even around here. However I think the Apollo XV mission doesn't loom as large in the imagination as the more groundbreaking missions, and maybe there's less demand for gold trim? I also think there's a lack of awareness of this model.

No matter, it's a cool watch and you like it, so enjoy it

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 14, 2017

Considering the watch sold for around $3k at release and now sells (generally) for between 6 & 9, I'd say it is doing OK. If you are patient you can find one for under 5k though, at least for now. Many special editions are often available until sudden popularity makes them disappear.

When it first came out this was quite a popular model.
    There are only 1971 of them made, so I consider it a sleeper at this point.
    The rose gold is more of an accent on the piece and it really makes the sub dials standout, very Daytonaish.
    The bracelet is all Stainless so the gold is not over done in my view. Another nice feature is that the crystal is hesalite.
    This watch has a lot in common with the very popular Apollo 11 45th Anniversary limited that came out in 2014
    I have always wanted one and finally picked one up earlier this year.

I can only add that it gets a lot of notice and positive comments when I wear it.

900(4).jpg s-l16003.jpg

[​IMG]

Enzo, Horai551, airansun and 9 others like this.
  8. jsalasrush Dec 14, 2017

Cicindela. Thanks!!! Love those pics.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 14, 2017

PS. I find it works very well casual with a pair of jeans. :)

10. TLIGuy Dec 14, 2017

I think @cicindela sums it up nicely.

This is one the the better looking limited edition watches done. I could do without the gold crown and pushers but overall it's really a great looking watch in person.

If you bought the watch because you like the looks you will be please with it. If you bought it because you are a fan of the Apollo 15 mission you couldn't have picked a better one. Dave Scott preformed the first and only stand-up EVA on the Moon. Al Worden made the first deep space EVA and 15 was the first long duration stay on the Moon along with the first use of the lunar rover and finally the Genesis rock. Apollo 15 is considered to be one of the most significant Moon missions flown.

Lastly, as I have shared before, if the man himself enjoys wearing it you will as well.

429004-48cbe55121b220d70735c90b0a6f9a88.jpg

Enzo, jsalasrush and cicindela like this.
  11. Maganator Dec 14, 2017

I’ve never even seen this watch before!

Have to say it’s very handsome - will certainly keep an eye out for it now

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 14, 2017

13. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 14, 2017

I personally love this watch! The rose gold separates from the std moonwatch, added to the mission case back makes it a stunning piece in my opinion.

It’s loved but not at current asking (what some people ask for it. The popularity has yet to hit.

14. FREDMAYCOIN Dec 14, 2017

Very attractive watch. It will without a doubt increase in popularity.

15. alam Dec 16, 2017

I do like it and at one time I was in the hunt for one, its caseback is kind of funky but not a deal breaker - IMO an awesome combination with the black leather strap as shown above by @cicindela :thumbsup:

16. TLIGuy Dec 17, 2017

Doing a little background research on Apollo 15 Command Module Pilot Al Worden this morning and ran across this picture.

Looks like the crew got a group discount.

KSC-2011-5970~orig.jpg

Enzo, Lou P and CTS-V like this.
  17. lillatroll Dec 17, 2017

I have no explanation as to it' popularity or lack of, but from the puctures at least, the black dial and gold is a nice combination but with the SS case and bracelet it lacks coherence in my opinion. That said, you can never really know until you have seen a watch in the flesh.
    As long as you like it that is all that really matters.

airansun likes this.
  18. palatine Dec 17, 2017

I’ve wanted one of these since it’s launch but at the time didn’t have the funds
    My birth year is 71 so that’s what first made me look into it but the rose gold accents are gorgeous IMHO
    Been close to pulling the trigger a few times on ones on Ebay but they are usually quite expensive when they show up.

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 17, 2017

One on eBay now with box and papers, reasonable price , shipped from USA

20. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 17, 2017

How do you suppose the '57 trilogy special editions will fair as the years roll by?