Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Alaska Project question

1. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 19, 2012

I have been admiring the A.P. watches for a couple of years. No, they aren't at all like the traditional pro, but they have a certain something, and at 1970 units produced, they are more scarce than most L.E. watches. Those of you who are interested, esp. Speedmaster guys, I'm curious to know what you think about the investment potential of these watches. I generally just buy vintage, so this is new ground for me. I'm looking at a watch with all the accessories, which with this watch, are probably more important, since it has the white straps, tool kit, and the huge red casing. It has all the boxes, cards, manuals, etc. I would think these would be much more desirable than the Snoopy or the cartoon planet watch, but the prices are not as high. Any comments are welcomed.

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2012

I agree with much of what you said and at one time I came close to buying a new one. But, after buying an Apollo 11 35th, I decided that the two watches were too similar to justify buying both. As for the long term investment, I think it will be a good while before they really appreciate, and not as much as the "older speedys'

3. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 19, 2012

Yes, I like the look of the 35th anniv. watch so much that I am in the process of creating my own. I think I mentioned it already in another thread...using a 145.022 from 1969. And the small silver hands are now all available for sourcing at Ofrei for the first time in several months. I hope to have it on my wrist in about a week. It's a beautiful dial.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2012

Apollo 11 35th anniversary model on black Hornback Crocodile (cour.peter.watchacc) with Omega deployant. Watch number 11 of 3500.

Horn-1.jpg Horn2.jpg 81.jpg S69-348d75.jpg

rbird7282 likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Jul 19, 2012

I want a limited edition Hello Kitty Speedmaster.

No, wait - Thomas the Train. Yeah, that would be cool. And make it limited to 100,000 pieces. That's the ticket! ::bleh::

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2012

My favorite LE is actually the Gemini IV, its a similar number to the A.P. but in blue with white subdials, I dont like the subdial hands on the AP

[​IMG]

rbird7282 likes this.
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2012

Sigh, :( always one of my grails, but so hard to get .
    gemini.jpg

8. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 19, 2012

I see how it is. The pink furry gloves are off now. (My wife loves Hello Kitty....and yes, she's a legal adult.) I ask a sincere question about a potential purchase, and Vinnie Da Pie Pan has to chime in with another hurtful comment.

9. ulackfocus Jul 19, 2012

Puh - leez! :p I'm pretty sure you cast the first stone Mr. Glasshouse. ;)

.... or should I say frisbeed the first pie pan?

10. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 19, 2012

I'm not talking to you, but I am going to go ahead and buy the watch, despite your hurtful and antagonizing remarks. I think you should moderate yourself and send yourself a warning for being mean...and ...and...dumb.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 19, 2012

I think the investment potential of something like this is small. I think it looks interesting so deserves to be bought for enjoyment rather than for appreciation. These limited edition pieces generally don't significantly appreciate in value.

12. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 19, 2012

Now there's a voice of reason. Actually, I think this one sold for over 5k, so it's already proven to not appreciate. The market seems to be pretty steady on them between 4k and 5k for like new examples. I agree, my main interest would be in wearing it, not investing, but we all want to make a little something in the event we decide to sell, right?

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 19, 2012

Actually a couple of years ago, I could have bought one for under $4k. So maybe it is going up somewhat. But still the upside potential is in my opinion quite limited.

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2012

3 years ago I could buy a new one for 4000 , today you can buy an new for 4000.

15. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 19, 2012

I'm paying considerably less, but I see them sell for 4500 plus on a fairly regular basis. The last REAL sale on Ebay (another sold for 4 then was relisted almost immediately...shill syndrome...don't know) for 4350, and I think it was in Lima, Peru. I have to believe buying from S. America lowers the selling price. But, I get the picture...it's not going to double in three years. I would like to wear it...maybe in ten years it will be worth 7k. Those goofy Snoopy watches bring 6k, and they don't have the COOL big red outer case. And I honestly the believe the AP is not like the other LE watches in that it has the unique outer case and the white straps that cannot be purchased anywhere. I'm hoping those features cause some interest in the future....then there's a RUN on Alaska Project watches...not unlike Cabbage Patch dolls or Tickle Me Elmo....and KA BOOM...(use Boomhauer's voice from King of the Hill) the watches are selling for half a mill.

16. ulackfocus Jul 19, 2012

You forgot the part about Kate Upton and Michelle Vawor falling madly in lust with you.

17. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 19, 2012

Did you send yourself a warning yet, Vinnie?

18. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 19, 2012

HEY...wait a minute. I just noticed under my avatar photo it says "Invicta Enthusiast." I don't recall putting that there, and I don't think I'm even able to put anything there. Is Invicta like Timex? I smell a rat...or maybe it's Jersey...something is amiss. Shouldn't I be "Level .5 member" ?

19. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 19, 2012

And if I fall overboard.....
    7597591250_a4889699c4_c[1].jpg

20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2012

Certainly not ! It is far more classy.

loll.gif loll.gif loll.gif