Omega speedmaster 47 vs 640 (JB/1175)

Hi I have a 1175 bracelet and a identical clasp with JB (no 1175). On the 1175 there is one endlink marked 47 and one 640. They look identical. Where both made by omega Swiss or is the 47 an US made endlink? Who knows if the 1175 ever came with 47 (extracts ever mentioned 47?)

will post picture later?

Hi,

1175 came with both end links for Speedies, 640 are still available from Omega. An extract rarely gives information about the bracelet/end links. Your theory about US for the 47s is possible, but I have seen first owner watches delivered to Europe with the 1175/47 combination.

kind regards Max

As an aside, the 640 EL replacement from Omega is etched, whereas the original have the '640' engraved.

If your 640 is not engraved, perhaps it was a replacement for a 47 that was lost by the po? (total conjecture.)

Hi I have a 1175 bracelet and a identical clasp with JB (no 1175). On the 1175 there is one endlink marked 47 and one 640. They look identical. Where both made by omega Swiss or is the 47 an US made endlink? Who knows if the 1175 ever came with 47 (extracts ever mentioned 47?)

will post picture later?

In general, is there a reliable source available for OEM Omega bracelets & links? As well, a place to buy them? With pre-owned watches with bracelets, there needs to be a simple source for extra links. I've looked at so many 10 to 25 year old Omega's I'd love to buy, but then the bracelet is too short. Most of those used watch retailers offer little or no help. Frustrating...

For what it’s worth I also have a NOS unmarked 1175 in box with 47 endlinks. The clasp is marked with the date 6/79. It also has a tag saying “ 9977A $20”

The 640 is stamped, personally I try to avoid the laser engraved 640 and 633 service endlinks but understand that sometimes it’s better than nothing.

In general, is there a reliable source available for OEM Omega bracelets & links? As well, a place to buy them? With pre-owned watches with bracelets, there needs to be a simple source for extra links. I've looked at so many 10 to 25 year old Omega's I'd love to buy, but then the bracelet is too short. Most of those used watch retailers offer little or no help. Frustrating...
I collect omega’s for over 20 years, in the beginning there was way less info then there is today. So it came down to experience, watching ebay etc. During these days more and more lists are available online. But like many, I bought those links when they were dog cheap (516 always were know and relatively expensive) so now I have a pile of bracelets and endlinks and boxes and papers like many old time collectors hoard. Now it’s all dried up, and personally I only trade (say a 47 for a 640). A site that would sell them would have a hard time finding new stock and would be very expensive as with vintage supplies only will get rarer. Therefor buy what you can. There used to be USA and Australian sites, but they also dried up/ and are cut off by omega.

I collect omega’s for over 20 years, in the beginning there was way less info then there is today. So it came down to experience, watching ebay etc. During these days more and more lists are available online. But like many, I bought those links when they were dog cheap (516 always were know and relatively expensive) so now I have a pile of bracelets and endlinks and boxes and papers like many old time collectors hoard. Now it’s all dried up, and personally I only trade (say a 47 for a 640). A site that would sell them would have a hard time finding new stock and would be very expensive as with vintage supplies only will get rarer. Therefor buy what you can. There used to be USA and Australian sites, but they also dried up/ and are cut off by omega.

Thank you, thank you. Very helpful. Airing my frustration, Omega knows these older watches are not the '8 track or cassette tapes' of the day. They'll still be quite viable. Not Omega's fault, but a lot of inventory comes from Asia. Primarily, Japan. Point? Small wrists. Like one piece I really liked had a bracelet for an "up to 6.5" wearer" inch wrist. How old was the owner? 14? Anyway, you get my point. Then last, I don't want cheap knockoffs. OEM only, so there's that too.