Omega Speedmaster 3861 Sapphire - Faulty out of the box [Fixed: good as new]

(NOTE: Omega support and seller are contacted regarding my issue)

UPDATE1: My local authorized service center will honor my warranty. At best it will be fixed locally, at worst it will be taken by Omega. Also it turns out one of my cousins work there... Small world, eh?

UPDATE2: Watch is now fixed. No imperfections are present, he is good as new. My cousin took great care to look upon it with the senior mechanic. They regulated the tension of the chronograph wheel that was responsible to the stutter of the seconds chrono hand including some settings so it can now hit 1 minute almost perfectly unlike before, when it was one minute while the seconds hand was about to hit the 58 mark. Now if you excuse me I will wear and enjoy my Speedy. Seek Archer's post regarding more info for the issue.

So I bought a brand new Omega Speedmaster. I was looking for a cool chronograph with a timeless and classy design but retaining the industrial and... uhh "toolish" looks. However out of the box, my Speedmaster has the following issues:

1. The minute sub-dial is not accurate. When seconds hand hit the 58-59 mark the minute sub-dial ticks one minute too early/ Is it 1 min or 1 min and 58sec?

2. The hour hand much like the minute sub-dial ticks too early. Is it 1 hour? Or 1 hour and 56 min(even worse than the minute sub - dial, it gets triggered at the 56min mark making it unpractical and rather useless)?

And the biggest one:

3. The Speedmaster Stutter. And no, I am certain of this issue it is not my imagination because each time it happens the watch makes unsettling grinding noise. The mechanism on the back shows the two gears in the middle moving erratically and making this... unsettling grinding noise...

stutter3-png.18055287

I am... extremely disappointed as this is my FIRST time I bought a watch that is faulty out of the box... And I did not expect to be a grandiose and reputable brand, kinda ironic. Anyway I fear that my Speedmaster is eating itself each second, although he keeps good time, just don't ask him to preform like a Speedmaster... Which is a shame since the chrono function is handy. So I essentially got half a Speed, more like SpeedTrainingTobeMaster.

I am not "trolling" and this is not my "attempt" to be funny. I actually fear Omega will say that "this is within tolerance lol" and tell me to f off. The watch is worn less than 24h and the most "extreme" environment he has been is a desk and a watch box.

Anybody has any idea what is going on? Omega support are contacted but from what I gather they are more as a decoration for the website...

Check out my imgur gallery with each issue documented: https://imgur.com/a/MRseYM3
Edited:

Like 1
What’s going on is you appear to be overreacting. Inevitably for a mass produced item there will be some which develop faults (as with cars). The watch will be within warranty and the stopwatch hand should not stutter (picking just one of the issues). Simply get the watch exchanged or return it via a boutique or authorised dealer for a warranty repair? Of course the service levels do vary by country/location and depend on your chosen purchase route. If you have an online Omega account it will be interesting to see what their customer service advice is (assuming they reply). It certainly looks like a valid warranty claim to me.

It is interesting to consider when and how any fault developed as the watch will have been tested with the results available online. Perhaps @Archer could comment on the nature of the possible faults and the timescales / usage profile you have mentioned.

I am not familiar with the "acceptable" tolerance of the 3618 movement, but forgive my ignorance, each time when this happens it creates the unsettling noise and the stutter show begins, I am also aware that it cannot hit the marker of the sub-dial at the EXACT point (acceptable tolerance etc.), but come on... At the 56 minute mark? And it is also inconsistent going past it when full hour passes. I am not trying to slander the brand or anything but.. this is not exactly a cheap watch.
Edited:

I am not familiar with the "acceptable" tolerance of the 3618 movement, but forgive my ignorance, each time when this happens it creates the unsettling noise and the stutter show begins, I am also aware that it cannot hit the marker of the sub-dial at the EXACT point (acceptable tolerance etc.), but come on... At the 56 minute mark? And it is also inconsistent going past it when full hour passes. I am not trying to slander the brand or anything but.. this is not exactly a cheap watch.

A lot of (sensible) people will not want to click your link as they can be risky. I did and seeing your video the chronograph hand stuttering is clearly a fault. The watch needs to be repaired or exchanged. If it goes to an Omega service centre they should pick up all issues and in effect service and repair it. I would just focus on getting the issue resolved and then you can post up how it went.

I am not looking forward to scam anybody with phishing or whatever. It's imgur's website...

Like 1
I am not looking forward to scam anybody with phishing or whatever. It's imgur's website...

I was not implying you were doing anything wrong, just noting that some people have a golden rule not to click posted links so might not see your video.

Like 1
Randomuser221 - you have every right to be disappointed with this watch. I hope the seller does the right thing and replaces or repairs it at no cost to you.

I can return it since I am in the 14 days period OR give it to our local authorized Omega service center (5y warranty and all) and hope he will be fixed.... And decide no to go bonkers with another issue as I collected quite the stories of the Speedy 3681 being... temperament. I really love the aesthetics and classy design so I am a bit torn up.

Mine is running well / never had any issues. If you like the watch and the history I do not think one bad experience should put you off, especially if it is so new. Like a new house or a new car, that is often when you spot the issues and get them fixed. It should not happen but the nature of any process (like manufacturing) is mistakes can happen.

I can return it since I am in the 14 days period OR give it to our local

I am not familiar with the "acceptable" tolerance of the 3618 movement

authorized Omega service center (5y warranty and all) and hope he will be fixed.... And decide no to go bonkers with another issue as I collected quite the stories of the Speedy 3681 being... temperament. I really love the aesthetics and classy design so I am a bit torn up.

It’s 3861 as per your title ;0)

Alright 3861, I made a typo. Look I am not trying to sh*t on your favorite brand. All I know is that I bought new Speedmaster and it is not working properly. I am looking for opinions of people that might've encountered this issue so I can decided should I bother sending it for repair or take advantage of my opportunity to return it, get my money back and be done with it.

Omega will repair it under warranty and it will be returned to you in proper working order. If that's not going to satisfy you, you should return it if that option is available to you. It's as simple as that.

Like 5
It's not clear if you bought it from a local Authorized Dealer or Boutique, or via the net. If local just take it back and ask for a new one. If bought online you can send it back and get refunded, or send it to Omega for warranty service. The stutter needs to be addressed for sure. The misalignments you see are very common, but in use don't affect your ability to accurately time and read the results. Keep the faith.
Edited:

Like 3
Omega will repair it under warranty and it will be returned to you in proper working order. If that's not going to satisfy you, you should return it if that option is available to you. It's as simple as that.

You nailed it in one...schimples......

It's not clear if you bought it from a local Authorized Dealer or Boutique, or via the net. If local just take it back and ask for a new one. If bought online you can send it back and get refunded, or send it to Omega for warranty service. The stutter needs to be addressed for sure. The misalignments you see are very common, but in use don't affect your ability to accurately time and read the results. Keep the faith.
The issue is acknowledged my Apollo 13 Speedy will be fixed. As from where: Guardians of Time. They've been cool about it, but... I like this Speedy so much I want it to get fixed as in some weird way I grew to like it a lot. And as I mentioned my cousin works at the service center so there's that too.

The issue is acknowledged my Apollo 13 Speedy will be fixed. As from where: Guardians of Time. They've been cool about it, but... I like this Speedy so much I want it to get fixed as in some weird way I grew to like it a lot. And as I mentioned my cousin works at the service center so there's that too.

Just a cross check but from your video what is the reference number for the watch you have With the noted faults, it looks like a standard Speedmaster?

Just a cross check but from your video what is the reference number for the watch you have With the noted faults, it looks like a standard Speedmaster?

Like 1

The above mentioned things were already set in motion. The least I could do while I wait is gather more information from Speedy owners. This came under the form of the rich and well structured explanation by Archer. But thanks anyway... I guess.