Forums Latest Members
  1. HolyGrailWatch Mar 5, 2019

Hey there,

I just received a relatives watch - and don't really know what to do with it.

It is a Omega Speedmaster Holy Grail as I found out. It lay in the safe since 1989 - together with box, guarantee certificate and original bill of sale. The watch was never opened and still has its red wax seal on its back - but running absolutely great without any noticable deviation.
    Actually it was never even worn - no bracelet link was ever removed. Of Course no scratches, no changed parts etc...

Bill of sale Matches guarantee papers of Course...

Now to my Question: I received some watches, and as this particular one is unworn, I guess I would never even wear it (unlike the others).
    So I thought about trading it (I would not want to sell it as I would love some other watches…) or putting it in the safe.

I just wrote a seller for Rolex and Omega Watches, talked to some guys and wrote some guys who run Omega Holy Grail dedicated Homepages. All of them got Pretty excited - and one of them directly offered me 24.000 Euro. One other offered me his 1665 Rail Dial Fullset OR a new Daytona and a 16610 Submariner - both also beeing fullset.

I am really unsure what I should go for. What would YOU do?

Thanks!

Edited Mar 5, 2019
  2. snarkq Mar 5, 2019

Why trade something rare and precious for something not rare and precious? I say keep it, or, if you really need the money, sit on it a while on chrono24 or similar and see what kind of offers come in. That, or work with a bigger auction house.

3. HolyGrailWatch Mar 5, 2019

Thank you. Well, no Need for the Money. But: what if the watch stops running someday?
    I wouldn't want to remove the wax seal as it states the watch has never been opened.

Well the Rail Dial fullset would at least be rare - but the insert is wrong and the clasp is overpolished…

4. ext1 Mar 5, 2019

I think if you trade it away for something else, you need to understand fully both what you are giving away, and getting in return. Like, I'm not a modern Daytona guy so that Daytona offer might sound boring to me while to you it might just sound alien (unless you're a Daytona fan)

So the safest option is to - since you're not really a watch guy - keep it, or liquidate it. At least my opinion.

If you will keep it, leave it as is, put in safe, don't do anything. Watch will be fine sitting by itself.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 5, 2019

Picture of the watch? No need for paperwork shots.

OrangeSeconds and efauser like this.
  6. HolyGrailWatch Mar 5, 2019

Well, I am a Rolex guy - or at least I wear them. And I got some of them (a Datejust, and two Submariners)….

7. w154 Mar 5, 2019

I reckon I’d sell it for the 24,000 euro, but before doing that I’d have one last roll of the dice by posting on a forum with the best offer I’d had and hoping to get better.

And pictures would be nice !

Rochete, Davidt, JimJupiter and 3 others like this.
  8. HolyGrailWatch Mar 5, 2019

I would not want to have photos of my watch online - but I would send you some pics via boardmail, if you'd Keep them in your invoice…
    Deal?

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 5, 2019

Sure I’d not release them.

10. HolyGrailWatch Mar 5, 2019

Was not able to send Pictures - but got a Picture sent to foo2rama. Potential buyer reading here, too. He’s getting nervous I guess.. :p

fskywalker likes this.
  11. w154 Mar 5, 2019

Why would he be nervous ?

fskywalker, ext1 and Gav1967 like this.
  12. Ray7 Mar 5, 2019

13. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 5, 2019

surely not that cynical :)

14. ext1 Mar 5, 2019

Sorry but..the reality is not everyone here is interested in a 376.0822 :cool: at least not for 20k! :p

15. HolyGrailWatch Mar 5, 2019

Because he is a omega collector who said I could look up prices for that watch on this forum - and now as some of you wrote that I should offer it to a auction house I bet he is getting nervous :)

Thanks to everyone - guess I got the right input, which is:
    The watch is really rare. And that’s the point.

Thank you!

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 5, 2019

Well he won't be able to buy coz you don't have the required permission to sell.

Or am I missing something?

17. HolyGrailWatch Mar 5, 2019

I know - and not everyone needs to be interested in the watch.

You misunderstood my post I’d guess :)
    The one who offered me his rail dial told me to wrote on the forum, as I was unsure... :)

Thanks!

18. kov Trüffelschwein. Mar 5, 2019

Rasputin, Davidt, hanky6 and 7 others like this.
  19. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 5, 2019

As none of us have seen the watch or photos and have no evidence of it's existence beyond your post then any inference you may have got regarding it's rarity or value is purely hypothetical I would have thought

20. boogedyboo Mar 5, 2019

I would sell the watch and get a watch that I love and that I can wear.

As you said, the value of the watch is that it is unworn and you would have to keep it in that condition (i.e. in the safe) to maintain the value.

And what's the point of that?