Forums Latest Members
  1. SeaSubRod Mar 21, 2018

Hello gents, hoping one of you can help me with the following.

I'm in the market for a 105.012 or a 145.012 but am not sure what to look for in terms of signs on a dial that suggest it is a re-dial or a fake. Any threads I should look at, or perhaps you have some easy pointers? What are signs that a DON bezel is not original? Is it common for casebacks to have year numbers that don't align perfectly with serial movement dating? Many thanks.

2. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 21, 2018

If you’re talking about spending the sort of money a 321 Speedmaster will require, I strongly recommend you spend a couple of hundred dollars on one of those notorious Speedmaster books.

And keep reading threads, particularly those where the merits of specific watches are being debated.

I think of most of us figure this stuff out based on known, trusted information and our eyes, which get more acute with every watch we examine.

SeaSubRod likes this.
  3. 105012 Mar 21, 2018

Highly recommend the Moonwatch Only book.

4. Screwbacks Mar 21, 2018

you found the right forum. keep on searching, tons of info you can source here. though it's a tall order to find the one for you, just be patient. first things first is the price range of your budget if it is not problem at all.

SeaSubRod likes this.
  5. Caliber561 Mar 21, 2018

+1 on the Moonwatch Only recommendation

SeaSubRod likes this.
  6. mr_yossarian Mar 22, 2018

Do not buy anything unless you know what you do.
    I have recently seen so many wrong ( read: assembled, wrong disclosed, franked, doubtfull..) Speedies being sold/offered on IG by dealers ( and on Chrono24) that are outrageously priced considering what they are. Don't believe in ethical behaviour, rely on yourself first ( and on this Forum ) before you spend big money on a pile of crap.
    Protect yourself.

marco, Davidt, SeaSubRod and 2 others like this.
  7. gdupree Mar 22, 2018

+1000 for Moonwatch Only. It's a few hundred bucks, but can save you thousands when buying a vintage speedmaster, esp a 321 era speedy. Buy nothing until you obtain and read this book and you wont regret it.

SeaSubRod likes this.
  8. Baz9614 Mar 22, 2018

9. SeaSubRod Mar 22, 2018

Thanks mates, just placed an order for the book.

10. athom Mar 22, 2018

The book will help you to know which parts are right, which are from service and which are from other models but not if something's fake, relumed or whatever...buy the seller or as I did to find the right 105.012 learn how to recognize every parts of it !

SeaSubRod likes this.