Forums Latest Members

SOLD Omega Speedmaster 2998-62 w/ 7912 and #6 ELs

1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Oct 23, 2019

We are finally to the end of my selling spree and this one presents a very compelling daily wearing 2998 Speedy. I purchased this from an esteemed OF member in 2016 and he had purchased the watch directly from the original owner (a Swedish police chief who wore it daily for decades). The watch was serviced by Simon Freese in 2017, and while no longer under warranty, should function trouble-free for the foreseeable future. This has been a staple on my wrist for the past few years, but tough choices have forced it on the block. Condition report below:

Dial:
    The dial is in good condition, with only one subtle light spot near the 52 minute marker. Lume is original and has aged to a light green / cream color. While the dial is "Swiss Made" only, I believe that it may be tritium lume rather than radium based on the patina hue. This was around the time that Omega began transitioning away from radium, and I have seldom seen radium age to this color.

Hands: Correct handset is in good shape. The hour/minute/chrono sweep hands were matched by the prior owner and it is one of the best jobs that I have seen. From both a color and texture standpoint, it is perfectly executed and visually identical to the dial plots.

Case / Bezel: The case has been polished over the years and the inner end of the lugs also has peculiar wear. The wear is consistent across all four and only visible from the bottom of the watch. I have tried my best to capture this, but please let me know if it is unclear. Caseback is in great condition. The original owner's social security number was previously inscribed on the caseback and was removed by the prior owner. The buffing is not even visible at most angles, but I have done my best to capture it in these pictures. Original "dot over ninety" bezel has faded to a "ghost" grey color. Bezel has wear, but is visually pleasing (to my eye).

Crown / Movement
    : Crown is a service replacement. As stated, the movement was serviced by Simon Freese in 2017, winds smoothly, keeps accurate time, and performs all functions accurately. The hour counter sometimes resets a couple mm to the right of center (as depicted below), but there is no chrono creep. While the watch should be trouble-free for the foreseeable future and is ready for daily wear, I am selling it as-is.

Accessories: I am selling the watch with its original 7912 bracelet (dated 1962) and #6 end links. The bracelet has some stretch, though most of it is in the expandable links. I figure the #6 end links should be tempting enough for some collectors here ;).

My asking price is $16,500, which includes fully insured Fedex Priority shipping. Payment via PayPal (F&F or add 3% if using PP) or direct bank wire. US sale strongly preferred. Face-to-face in Chicago is also welcome for local buyers. Finally, I have plenty of references available as a buyer and seller that I can provide if necessary. Thanks for looking and thanks to OF for the space.
    10-19-19-1.jpg 10-19-19-2.jpg 10-19-19-3.jpg 10-19-19-4.jpg 10-19-19-5.jpg 10-19-19-6.jpg 10-19-19-7.jpg 10-19-19-8.jpg 10-19-19-9.jpg 10-19-19-10.jpg 10-19-19-11.jpg 10-19-19-12.jpg

2. bigsom Oct 23, 2019

Holy smokes, at this price I can't imagine this lasting more than a few hours. Unbelievable value.

tomvox1, Just Livin, bazamu and 2 others like this.
  3. Screwbacks Oct 23, 2019

ruggedly handsome! wow.;)

Edited Oct 24, 2019
    bazamu likes this.
  4. larryganz The cable guy Oct 23, 2019

It’s my birth year watch and I don’t see how I could pay for this easily at this time without borrowing on the house or selling something.

:(

bazamu likes this.
  5. Toishome Oct 23, 2019

::love::

bazamu likes this.
  6. rkman11 Oct 24, 2019

Your collection is INCREDIBLE! Would love to see what this round of amazing sell offs are funding! GLWS

7. Just Livin Oct 24, 2019

I was hoping to see a 2915 ::popcorn::
    Great piece and GLWS!

rkman11 and bazamu like this.
  8. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Oct 29, 2019

Sold, thanks OF and buyer!

DRjre086, kidkimura, jeppehh and 2 others like this.
  9. Just Livin Oct 29, 2019

Was never going to hang around that long. Congrats to you and the new buyer!

bazamu likes this.