Forums Latest Members

SOLD Omega Speedmaster 2998-4 on steel bracelet

1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 15, 2016

[​IMG]

For sale, a stunning Speedmaster 2998-4. This is a complete 2998-4 matching every notable characteristic for the reference.

Listed here for $28,000 USD, payable by bank wire. More Ts and Cs at the end of the listing.

Case:
    Here is a straight lug speedmaster case in great shape with no corrosion or pitting. The inside of the caseback stamped 2998-4, and it shows a nice crisp step. The Hippocampus is clearly visible. Pushers are the correct screw in 4mm pushers. The crown is the correct 6.75mm "old logo" style (note: this is not a modified Railmaster crown). The crystal has silver tension ring as you'd expect.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bezel:

The watch somes with a very nice Dot Over 90 Base 500 Tachymeter bezel. There are a few dings, but overall, it looks great - especially on the wrist. the full 9 in 90 is clearly visible, not partially hidden as some we see are.

[​IMG]

Dial:

The dial is in great condition with no spotting. The original radium is still mostly intact.

[​IMG]

There is no glow. The color varies from a nice orangey color to more of a golden hue.

[​IMG]

Hands:

Vintage triangle hour Alpha Hands. The lume also does not glow. These are the original curved hands not flat service replacements. The minute hand just reaches the small seconds markers at the edge of the dial.

[​IMG]

The 2998-4 was the first to carry the "stick" subdial hands, and one of the last with the straight chrono seconds. This chrono hand really makes the watch stand out from most of the Speedmasters you see.

Bracelet:
    This is a nice and complete 7077 with original single notch #6 endlinks. Note the short clasp cover and double wide stretch links - unique features of early 7077 bracelets.

This bracelet predates the watch by at least 2 years, but both Moonwatch Only and the mstanga bracelet chart allow for a 7077 to be fitted to a -4.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The clasp closes nicely and stays shut.

[​IMG]

7077 bracelets can be found, but these endlinks are not common - more uncommon that the double notch #6 endlinks. The endlinks fit snugly to the edges of the lugs.

[​IMG]

2 double wide stretch links on one side.

[​IMG]

3 double wide stretch links on the other side.

Movement:

The move number is in the correct range for a 2998-4 at 17,765,0xx. I had this watch serviced at an Omega AD in Toronto with an Omega repair shop. The were happy to accommodate my request to leave all visible parts untouched and only service the movement. However, they don't provide much in the way of paper work. I imagine your watchmaker can confirm this, and I'm happy to discuss movement issues for any reason for up to 6 months from the date of purchase. All functions work. The chronograph starts, stops and resets as you'd expect. It shows no signs of chrono creep, and keeps good time.

[​IMG]

Logistics:

I am a private collector, not a dealer. I'm listing on OF before taking it anywhere else. I'd love to see it go to a fellow member here. I have bought and sold several high value watches here and elsewhere and can share references as a buyer and seller should you want them.

[​IMG]

I will consider selling head only as well. I'm happy to discuss with serious buyers.

The watch is with me in Toronto, Canada. I will ship most anywhere, though I reserve the right to decline to ship to some parts of the world at my discretion. Insured shipping is of course included, details of which we can sort out together. The watch will be well packed, and shipped after money clears into my account. Don't be shy though, just ask.

I want you to be happy with the watch. I'm here to answer any questions you have via PM, email or phone and can provide additional pics or info should you like it.

Return the watch for any reason in the first 3 days (at your cost, and fully insured) starting from when it is marked delivered by the shipping carrier. In the event of a return, money will be refunded once the watch has been received in the same condition in which it was sent.

Edit: just wanted to add that the pictures are part of the description. Please take a close look and click on them for bigger versions.

Edited Nov 15, 2016
    td69, quito, TNTwatch and 58 others like this.
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 15, 2016

I bet the buyers of the November Auction 2998's are wishing this had been up sooner.
    One of the nicer watches I have seen recently coming up for sale.
    Good luck!

blubarb, tapaptpat, Dre and 11 others like this.
  3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Nov 15, 2016

Fabulous 2998-4. @oddboy is an OF member of the highest regard.. The lucky buyer who jumps on this Speedie will be not be disappointed.

4. LawBrk Nov 15, 2016

Damn, what a beauty. Out of reach but gorgeous. ::love:: GLWS!

The_Walrus, kkt, Paedipod and 2 others like this.
  5. Tubber Nov 15, 2016

Beautiful! GLWS ::love::.

oddboy likes this.
  6. sky21 Nov 15, 2016

Having personally conducted a transaction with @oddboy I will also vouch for his honesty, timely communication, and fast shipping. If you purchase this watch you will not be disappointed, it will arrive quickly and exactly as depicted. I'm only sorry that it is out of my price range. Wishing you a very GLWS!!

blubarb and oddboy like this.
  7. grizzlycanuck Nov 15, 2016

Gorgeous specimen, GLWS [emoji1303]. Great listing as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oddboy likes this.
  8. TLIGuy Nov 16, 2016

Stunning piece but I have to say Wally would not approve.

Best of luck finding a new home for this beauty.

Edited Nov 16, 2016
    oddboy likes this.
  9. kov Trüffelschwein. Nov 16, 2016

This is now very tempting but no funds at this stage. :unsure: Good luck with selling, wish it finds a new passionate owner ::love::

oddboy likes this.
  10. NT931 Nov 16, 2016

[​IMG]

GLWTS!

blubarb, tapaptpat and oddboy like this.
  11. Drawarms Nov 16, 2016

please let me hit lotto tonight!

kkt, Jwit and oddboy like this.
  12. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Nov 16, 2016

[​IMG]

blubarb, Tom Dick and oddboy like this.
  13. Dre Nov 16, 2016

Stunning watch from a great OF member, this won't last long! GLWS J!

kkt and oddboy like this.
  14. alam Nov 16, 2016

::love:: ooohhh....

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 8.44.55 PM.png
    gemini4 and oddboy like this.
  15. Baz9614 Nov 16, 2016

As a neighbor in Mississauga, knowing this opportunity is right in my backyard, I can honestly say I hate you right now. . . Even if I could off load my 165.024 SM300BT, Speedmaster 145.012, Seamaster 145.008, and my 2278-3?Cal 320, I might be close! :thumbsdown: GLWS!

tinger and oddboy like this.
  16. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Nov 16, 2016

Please put me in line for the BT............:whistling:

oddboy, Baz9614 and LawBrk like this.
  17. Baz9614 Nov 16, 2016

Noted! However, the only way I would consider letting go of my BT would be to secure a 2998 or better. It's complete with 1506 bracelet, #16 endlinks and original box ;)

RawArcher and LawBrk like this.
  18. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 16, 2016

@Baz9614 Interested in Speedmaster...

Getting close :)

Baz9614 likes this.
  19. blubarb Nov 17, 2016

serveimage-8.jpg

BUT...

serveimage-1.jpg

Oh, man...love it...GLWTS !!

20. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Nov 17, 2016

So you're saying there's a chance!