Forums Latest Members
  1. FraenkTheTank Nov 6, 2015

Hi, I am new here in this forum and would like to get your opinion on my Speedy 2998-3.
    I am facing the consideration to relume it and to rework the small subdial hands. I would like to get your opinion on these 2 "issues".
    I am still struggling to relume it, because the dial is in good overall-condition, only the lume is missing... which is no disaster. Perhaps the watch is better when it stays in its original vintage look.
    The small hands seem to be painted, so some lost their original shape. I would like to get the paint off and let it paint again....
    What you think about the watch and my considerations!?

Many thanks in advance
    Frank

FullSizeRender.jpg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. mac_omega Nov 6, 2015

I recommend to leave the dial as is.

For the small hands: yes, they look out of shape due to a too thick layer of paint - here it would be appropriate to remove the white paint and re-paint for a better result. This would not effect the original condition but remove a wrong "restoration" and make it better this way.

just my 2 cents

3. watchtinker Nov 6, 2015

Unfortunately, the movement has been tampered...

4. FraenkTheTank Nov 6, 2015

what exactly do you mean ?!

Edited Nov 6, 2015
  5. watchtinker Nov 6, 2015

Regulator, balance wheel (and possibly pallet cock), minute recording spring do not appear to be original to the movement.

Archer likes this.
  6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 6, 2015

And I think those subdial hands are not just overpainted but later replacements - they look too short and of the wrong shape.

7. Dash1 Nov 6, 2015

Nice watch though!
    I would leave the dial as is.

8. michaelmc Nov 6, 2015

Leave the dial, repair/repaint or better yet replace with correct hands.

9. mozambique Nov 6, 2015

Personally I find the white dial plots jarring and it detracts from the overall vintage look. Makes the dial look sterile. If you can find someone who can do a first class job in reluming the dial to a more appropriate vintage look, then that is something I would consider if it was my watch. Tricky balance between preserving originality vs. visual appeal vs. watch value.

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 6, 2015

Re luming is like plastic surgery.

Most end in failure - in that the procedure can be seen.

But in all cases, the question has to be asked, does it look better than before the procedure.

Mostly, because it looked horrible before, that answer is yes.

As the need increases, I see the skills in re luming grow and spread through the community. As this does, there are variations in skill levels and methods that make it harder to judge if a watch has been relumed.

It is especially difficult with some of the late 1960's Speedmasters that have the "wobbly lume" that many of us now accept as original.