Forums Latest Members

SOLD Omega Speedmaster 145.022-69

1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jun 2, 2019

A very nice one that I'm offering up here - an early 145.022-69 (quasi-) transitional Speedy. I was on a buying spree earlier this year and ended up with a handful of Speedies that I didn't need. I've ultimately landed on the one that I'll keep, so all the others are leaving. See below for more info:

Dial:
    The 145.022-69 was the first reference to have shorter hour plots that did not extend through the minute track, and were also the first to switch to a painted logo (instead of an applied metal logo, like all prior references). This particular dial is in great shape with vibrant, creamy patina and all indices intact. The hi-res photos should speak for themselves.

Hands: Handset is in great shape overall, with matching patina that glows / fades at the same rate as the dial plots. Perhaps the only true blemish on this example is the chrono sweep hand, which had the tip broken off (at a prior servicing, I'll theorize). Given the unprepared nature of the watch prior to my purchase, the closeness of the patina, and the fact that you can see it "clipped" at the end with a loss of paint (shown in a macro close-up), I believe all hands are original to the watch.

Case: Case is in fantastic condition, with a small layer of surface swirls and minor scratches, but the original brushing in great condition and original facets extremely sharp on all lugs / surfaces. This is as good as one can hope to find, in my opinion. The movement number is lightly etched on the backside of one of the lugs, as watchmakers often did back in the day.

Bezel: Original "dot over ninety" bezel is in very good shape, with a few scratches. I don't think I need to point out the value of the bezel alone in today's market. As one can see, there's a fair amount of grime in between the bezel and crystal - further evidence of the "unprepared nature of the watch."

Movement / Functionality: The movement, with correct serial for this reference (291180XX), is clean and pictured in detail below. A couple of the screws show slight wear, indicative of prior servicings over the years. The crown is very tight, but winds and the movement / chronograph runs and functions as they should. Due to the tightness of winding and unlikeliness of a servicing in the past 15-20 years, I strongly recommend that the next owner services it before any serious wear.

Accessories: The watch is being sold with its original 1039 flat link bracelet (with correct 516 end links). Clasp code correctly dates to 1969. The end links show minor wear on the top surface and the clasp is not centered, so the next owner will likely want to shuffle around the expansion links to fix that (a minor endeavor). Bracelet has little stretch and will fit a 7.25" wrist.

My asking price is $8,000, which includes fully insured Fedex Priority shipping. Payment via PayPal (F&F or add 3% if using PP) or direct bank wire. US sale strongly preferred. Face-to-face in Chicago is also welcome for local buyers. Finally, I have plenty of references available as a buyer and seller that I can provide if necessary. Thanks for looking and thanks to OF for the space.
    5-29-19-1.jpg 5-29-19-2.jpg 5-29-19-3.jpg 5-29-19-5.jpg 5-29-19-4.jpg 5-30-19-2.jpg 5-30-19-1.jpg 5-30-19-4.jpg 5-29-19-8.jpg 5-29-19-9.jpg 5-29-19-10.jpg 5-29-19-11.jpg 5-29-19-12.jpg 5-30-19-3.jpg

Seaborg, Yak1, EdtheAussie and 6 others like this.
  2. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jun 3, 2019

OHPF, thank you OF

robinhook likes this.
  3. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Jun 3, 2019

Just so people don’t get confused. This isn’t a transitional. But great watch. Congrats.

4. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jun 3, 2019

Thanz, you saved me a WTF, but it's certainly a great watch!

5. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jun 3, 2019

I called it a "Quasi-transitional" in the description, which I think is absolutely accurate. Some people say that the -68 is the only true transitional model (in fact, I have often said that), but given the pre-moon caseback, DON bezel, and flat link bracelets on the early '69's, I think there's a legitimate link to the prior references (and separation from the subsequent ones). I took "Transitional" out of the main title for posterity.

6. JwRosenthal Jun 3, 2019

That lume is insane. Congrats to the new owner on a beautiful watch