Forums Latest Members

WTT Omega Speedmaster 145.022-69 Tropical Blue/Grey DON

1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 27, 2017

Up for trade...Interested in a radial 1675, Zenith Daytona, or other VR. Please no modern or four figure watches.

Case: sharp, may have had one light polish or is just worn

Dial: even chocolate brown that changes colors depending on light, perfect lume

Bezel: DON that is grey/blue depending on light

Movement: 861 that needs a service as there is 12hr counter creep...correct serial for tropical range

Hands/Crown/Crystal/Pushers: Original

PM or email watchknut AT gmail.com
    88756381-B718-491F-8A43-BE51FE2144B7.jpeg BB93BB0F-9CFE-4991-94A4-4AF25F01E126.jpeg C7A83223-2ED3-451F-BA89-B49D75B9E9F4.jpeg

Edited Jan 10, 2019
    ndgal, Lonestar, Boony and 18 others like this.
  2. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Mar 27, 2017

Is that more of a faded black? As blue are pretty vivid imo just saying

IMG_0601.JPG
    STANDY, Faz, bernarddevos and 19 others like this.
  3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 27, 2017

It is grey/blue as stated...not as blue as yours and definitely not just faded black.

Changed the title to match the description.

Edited Mar 27, 2017
  4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 27, 2017

@Kringkily quick question, did your bezel leave the factory blue or black? If black, then wouldn't yours be faded black too?

Faz and pitpro like this.
  5. trackpad Mar 30, 2017

@watchknut the difference between your first two images and the subsequent ones shows a bezel exactly like mine, and I think your updated title says it better...though "blued" or "bluing" might also work, and connotes something more transitional, but probably also sounds weird.

@Kringkily Spectacular piece. But is it not also positioned at it's most blue in this photo – max blue? Or does it look like this head on in available light?

It's fascinating the way these change their color right before your eyes in the shifting angles of light. Gotta love it.

Larry S, Johnnied and MikiJ like this.
  6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 30, 2017

Great question...this sucker is a complete chameleon. In overcast and fluorescent light, at certain angles it is very blue and the dial is very dark chocolate brown. When in direct sunlight the dial is a very rich chocolate brown and the bezel is much more gray, gray/blue, or just plain faded black. None of my photos are super processed, but they are taken with a S7 Edge, and I do my best to make them accurate. Even when using my friends D4, it was hard as hell to photograph and get everything as close to 100% accurate.

Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to get a photo with the blue and brown at their peak.

sdre and Frederic_gva like this.
  7. trackpad Mar 30, 2017

I don't want to project complexity or special qualities on to something that isn't actually unique, and...I know we've got a pretty biased crowd here – but if there is another watch of similar vintage consistently providing the same range of spectral quirks and joyful deviations, I'd love to know what it is. OMEGA seems to have been lucky in selecting a combination of paints/metals/materials that would combine to degrade in consistently interesting and beautiful ways.

Funny enough I took this photo today, not aiming for max anything...but not far off the max for both.

IMG_0629.jpg

And now, back to your WTT thread – GLWTT, looks like a killer piece.

sdre, Matth84, pitpro and 2 others like this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 30, 2017

Won't you regret trading a watch that's a classic, a basic to hold on to--and such a beautiful example?

sdre, pitpro, Larry S and 1 other person like this.
  9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 30, 2017

I hear you...would only trade for the "right watch"...and that may never come!

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 30, 2017

You do realize these are climbing in value right? Once gone it will be very hard to replace. Im with @Syrte on this point.

sdre, SgWatchBaron, George.A and 3 others like this.
  11. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 30, 2017

I do...and what I would be willing to trade for is climbing as well.

At this stage of the game, I don't have the funds to buy what I want, which means that trading is the best option.

If someone out there has a DRSD and a real desire for my watch, I figure we can try to work a deal.

I am in no rush for this to leave my collection.

SgWatchBaron and OMGRLX like this.
  12. Fost Mar 30, 2017

The gap is quite big... You will have serious money to add anyway :/

Swissgmt1675 likes this.
  13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 30, 2017

What's a DRSD? Some Rolex submariner that commands a premium just because there are two words in red on the dial? Keep your chocolate speedy!

Lonestar, wsfarrell, lando and 11 others like this.
  14. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 30, 2017

I have plenty to sell to fund the gap..my thought is the the Speedy may lure a collector that like me, does not want to sell a watch...but who the hell knows.

@Syrte I am with you, and chances of me hanging onto this are pretty darn good:)

OMGRLX and Syrte like this.
  15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 30, 2017

And I am not even part of the famous "speedmaster fan boy (or fan gal) club."
    But this is the same as wanting to sell a good, honest vintage SM300. Like a woman wanting to sell the little black dress that's a wardrobe staple.
    The only good reason you might have to part with it is if, for some reason you do not like it, do not "bond" with it, and do not wear it.

Jwit, George.A, alohatime and 3 others like this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 30, 2017

Truer words have never been spoken! I salute you madam!

17. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 30, 2017

Well hell...I will not...and cannot...argue with that.

Jwit, OMGRLX, Syrte and 1 other person like this.
  18. watchlovr Mar 31, 2017

I have tried to resist.
    PM sent.

19. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Apr 1, 2017

That's it. I will never sell or trade my vintage sm300 no date. Not for a gilt, double red, double underline rolex sub; not for anything.
    I think @watchknut shouldn't trade his speedy either...

Syrte, Larry S and watchknut like this.
  20. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 1, 2017

Alright...y'all win. It is staying put!

sdre, Jwit, dubois and 12 others like this.