Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster 145.022 69 ST Engraving Sterilization

1. RWA72 Jan 26, 2016

I am new to this forum and this is my first of many "hopefully" threads in the future to come ( English is not my first language ).

My first thread is regarding one of my Speedmasters and i can't get to figure this one out, it is purchased from an elderly gentleman who originally bought this new in the beginning of the 70's ( Norway ).

He claim it to be all original and authentic with no service history connected to it.
    The thing i'm wondering about is the backcase it is totally sterilised with out any engraving, it has the " Swirls " similar to the backcase with the sea monster and nothing more.
    Another thing is that the watch also is issued with the 220 bezel, maybe a watch that never should have reached the retailer in the first place ?.

Serial number start with: 30xxxxxx

IMG_5693.JPG IMG_5681.JPG IMG_5668.JPG IMG_5666.JPG IMG_5695.JPG

I have tried to contact the Omega company and several others, so far no feedback or luck :thumbsdown:

I known that if there is any place on the web that can come up with a answer regarding this matter, it would be this place ::book::

Best regards

RWA72

Etp095 likes this.
  2. ketiljo Jan 26, 2016

Hi and welcome!

Can you show the inside of the back as well?

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 26, 2016

Nice example of a 220 bezel.
    The case back looks polished. Omega deliberately made the Hippo engraving very light so owners could polish it off and engrave what they wanted onto a fresh surface.

Tritium, Traveler, RWA72 and 2 others like this.
  4. RWA72 Jan 26, 2016

Here are some photos of the inside as well :taunt: IMG_5667.JPG IMG_5680.JPG

Etp095 likes this.
  5. RWA72 Jan 26, 2016

Ok that makes sense, i have kind of looked in that direction but if it was polished the " Swirls " would also be gone in the process i believe.
    The circles are more visible in real life then appearing on the images, and the Sea Monster engraving goes far deeper than the swirls do.

Of course this might be the answer i'm looking for, let's se if there are any other with some knowledge.
    I have heard unconfirmed rumours that they delivered very few watches without Sea Monsters sold as anniversary pieces for individual engraving ( unconfirmed )

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2016

The swirls look like they were done by a watchmaker. Sometimes this is done to "freshen up" a watch for sale that has some dings or scratches on the back or sometimes to remove engraving. Difficult to ever know for sure why it was done.

RWA72 likes this.
  7. ibis888 Jan 26, 2016

That's interesting as the case doesn't look polished at all?

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2016

Smoothing the back and polishing do not necessarily go hand and hand. Like I said, unless you have information from the original owner, i.e. a smoking gun, it is near impossible to say for sure.

9. robocaspar Jan 26, 2016

The case back might of been polished some time ago. Circular swirls are possible if it was mounted on a lathe as it would be rotating during the polish process.

10. RWA72 Jan 26, 2016

Many good suggestions here, when viewing the backcase in live you can sort of see that even the tiniest swirl is still present and edges are still crisp.

Another thing is that previous and original owner claims that he purchased the watch new and in this order without engraving from AD retailer.
    All i have is sellers word on this and as everyone knows, if a story is told often enough it becomes the thruth.

I'm for now going to settle for the version that the dealer have polished the backcase for who ever reason, one thing that is established would be that this is the version with the Sea Monster on the Caseback.

Is this a Transition version ?.

Thank you for all information and if anyone have any additional information not covered so far, i would be most greatful for any additional information

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 26, 2016

It is not a transitional. In any form.

12. ibis888 Jan 26, 2016

If the price is reasonable and the movement serial matches up, I think it's a somewhat decent example of a 'pre-moon' -69, even with the smooth caseback?

220 bezel, decent condition, nice patina...

RWA72 likes this.
  13. RWA72 Jan 28, 2016

Belive i've got the watch for a decent price so i am most happy for my purchase, another thing is that it looks so much better in real life than on the images.
    A development in this case is that i have got a response from Omega and they are looking into it.

14. RWA72 Feb 3, 2016

Follow up !.

Watch has heen delivered for a service to be performed on the caliber leaving autentic parts such as pushers / hands / crystal / case / Dial etc untouched.

Furthermore i have received a reply from Omega who consulted with The Omega Museum on this matter, there is no available information regarding this subject in the Omega archives unfortenatly.
    They did confirm that my watch normally should have been issued with a Sea Horse caseback engraving, so i guess my watch then is a Pre Moon ?.

Wich leaves me with my very personal opinion that the watch left the productionplant with a backcase without engraving.
    Based on what i see and feel holding the watch in my hands, again my personal opinion on this matter.

So the watch has been delivered for service at a certified Omega service workshop an Extract of Archive has been ordered together with a new NATO Leatherstrap from Bulang & Sons, can't wait untill all comes together and i can start enjoy my vintage Speedmaster.

I would like to thank everybody for their contribution on this thread who i enjoyed and found great pleasure in reading

::rimshot::::psy::

KstateSkier likes this.
  15. ibis888 Feb 3, 2016

Enjoy the watch!

16. Davidt Feb 3, 2016

Nice watch. Hope the service goes well and no other parts are touched.

I would be 99% certain that this is a standard premoon caseback that was polished flat though.

17. KstateSkier Feb 3, 2016

Enjoy your watch.