Posts
32
Likes
8
Hi everyone,

I would like to buy this vintage 145-022 69st.

I took it to a watch maker that said its all original. Can someone please tell.me if the hands look correct?

Thanks!

 
Posts
35,647
Likes
39,895
This particular era of Speedy I find has more variability in how the hands and lume look color wise than any other, I've seen dark, white, green, yellow, brown and everything in between, dial lume on that one looks a bit messy, but the photos aren't the best either, some of the originally applied lume is quite messy, but that looks a bit excessive.
 
Posts
32
Likes
8
This particular era of Speedy I find has more variability in how the hands and lume look color wise than any other, I've seen dark, white, green, yellow, brown and everything in between, dial lume on that one looks a bit messy, but the photos aren't the best either, some of the originally applied lume is quite messy, but that's a bit excessive.
Are those pics better?

 
Posts
353
Likes
1,079
very nice watch with DON and - i assume - 1039/516 (?)

check the endlinks
 
Posts
2,298
Likes
3,155
Seems to be a very nice watch, please include the asking price to get a complete feedback and -as already pointed out- more pictures
 
Posts
32
Likes
8
Bracelet is after market.

My only concern is the hands that dont look like they aged the same way as the rest of the dial. The lume is somewhat black and not that nice yellowish creamy color.

Asking price is reasonable. 5000$ CAD

Appreciate anyone who can comment on the hands.

 
Posts
13,519
Likes
23,458
I’d say the hands are original. It’s common to see hands age differently (often darker) than the dial in this period
 
Posts
2,625
Likes
5,859
5000 CAD$ = 3100€ = 3750 $
a non Omega bracelet?
How about proof of service, and movement pictures?
And better pictures.....😉
 
Posts
10,751
Likes
16,738
The hands are so uniformly grotty as to suggest a relume but then why would a relumer pick such a grungy looking compound? I think that watch in general looks pretty honest and original (the presence of the DON bezel is a very good sign) but I can't say I like the hand colour personally. I'd take a nice relumed set over those if original any time to be be honest.

The price doesn't sound too bad but note the crystal looks like it is maybe cracked near the 6 so probably needs replacing. If not it will polish up fine (there crystal not the case). I'd wear that but I'd consider a hand swap in the short to medium term.
Edited:
 
Posts
32
Likes
8
5000 CAD$ = 3100€ = 3750 $
a non Omega bracelet?
How about proof of service, and movement pictures?
And better pictures.....😉
Hi!
I will provide those asked for them. If original movement, no serivce , is this a good deal?
 
Posts
32
Likes
8
The hands are so uniformly grotty as to suggest a relume but then why would a relumer pick such a grungy looking compound? I think that watch in general looks pretty honest and original but I can't say I like the hand colour personally. I'd take a nice relumed set over those if original any time to be be honest.

The price doesn't sound too bad but note the crystal looks cracked near the 6 so probably needs replacing. I'd wear that but I'd consider a hand swap in the short to medium term.
Hi!

Where would I find original resumed hands?

Thanks!
 
Posts
10,751
Likes
16,738
Hi!

Where would I find original resumed hands?

Thanks!
You could have the hands on the watch relumed. Or buy a new (old) set. Some will consider this a sacrilegious step but I'd take beauty over originality in that case.
 
Posts
2,625
Likes
5,859
Hi!
I will provide those asked for them. If original movement, no serivce , is this a good deal?
I would not be a bad deal, but more pictures would be nice!


Check out my latest Speedy report...😀
 
Posts
353
Likes
1,079
lume in the hande is original - why changing ?? !
(and anytime later it could be done)

if the movement is in the correct range for the watch we see,
the price is good for head only

i would like to see a competetive watch!
 
Posts
24,798
Likes
55,079
I strongly doubt that those hands are in their original condition. At the least, they have been repainted, IMO. That said, I think the price is good. If the hands bother you, you can have them relumed.
 
Posts
32
Likes
8
I strongly doubt that those hands are in their original condition. At the least, they have been repainted, IMO. That said, I think the price is good. If the hands bother you, you can have them relumed.
Hi Dan! What makes you believe they were repainted? I am curious really to learn here.

Thanks!
 
Posts
3
Likes
1
It's a 55 year old watch. A good chance it was serviced along the way and some parts were replaced. I wouldn't let that detract me from buying it, however.

I would watch the Speedmaster101 video on the 145.022 69:
How to Assess an Omega Speedmaster 145.022 69

Definitely get pictures of the movement and serial number. To me, it looks fine and the patina adds to that. Here's mine:

 
Posts
24,798
Likes
55,079
Hi Dan! What makes you believe they were repainted? I am curious really to learn here.

Thanks!
It's just from experience, my feeling. Look closely at the hands, and study other watches.