Forums Latest Members

SOLD Omega Speedmaster 145.022-68ST (Transitional) w/ Rare 220 Bezel

1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Dec 29, 2015

I’m offering up for sale a “barn find” 145.022-68ST. This one owner watch was purchased at an estate sale, just had a brand new (OEM) mainspring from Otto Frei installed, and is keeping excellent time with all functions working correctly.

The watch is being sold head-only, but an unworn nylon NATO strap from Crown & Buckle can be included if necessary to the buyer.

For more detail on the watch’s condition, see below:

Case: 42mm case is unpolished and in good shape. Surface scratches exist throughout the case, but with the exception of the bottom left lug and direct center of the left underside (pictured in detail below), the scratches are surface only and could be buffed out (though that’s not what I would do).

Bezel: Features an extremely rare “220 bezel,” which is one of a small number that left the Omega factory with a misprint on the “200” spot in the normal Tachy bezel. While 220 bezels are typically seen on early 145.022-69’s, it’s my firm belief that it is original to this watch. I’ve drawn this conclusion based on three main pieces of evidence: 1) a 220 bezel would not have been used as a service bezel from Omega (especially given the extremely small window of time in which they were accidentally produced), 2) the 27.3M serial is towards the very end of the -68’s, and 3) the watch was not owned by a watch collector who would have actively sought out this bezel. The only possibility is that it was swapped on by a third-party servicer in the 70’s or so, but I highly doubt this to be the case given the rarity of these bezels.

Dial / Hands: Both are in impeccable condition as seen in the pictures. Patina on the hour markers and hands is consistent and even throughout, show zero blemishes, and has a hue that can be described as in between eggshell and cream. The dial is perfect, with no scratches or pitting.

Crystal: Original hesalite crystal has one stubborn scratch above the left sub-dial. The difference between the picture above and the FS pictures is simply PolyWatch. Crystal is the same, amazingly.

Caseback: Correct pre-moon caseback with well-defined emblem.

Movement: Freshly-serviced Omega 861 caliber chronograph movement with all functions working correctly. It is keeping excellent time and had a new mainspring installed (OEM from Otto Frei).

My price is $5,500 with payment via PayPal (add 3% if using PP) or direct bank wire. US sale preferred, international sales will pay the cost of shipping. Face-to-face in Chicago is also welcome for local buyers. Finally, I have plenty of references available as a buyer and seller that I can provide if necessary.

Please reach out to [email protected] with any questions, or feel free to PM me on Omega Forums. Thanks for looking!
    1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG

As you can see, this was an extremely honest watch when purchased from the estate!
    _Before.jpg

Edited Dec 29, 2015
    Etp095, browncow, marturx and 6 others like this.
  2. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Dec 31, 2015

Bump (legally this time ;))

dougiedude likes this.
  3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 1, 2016

Rare watch, rare bezel
    GLWS

bazamu likes this.
  4. marturx Jan 1, 2016

Great watch, great seller! :thumbsup:

bazamu likes this.