Forums Latest Members

SOLD Omega Speedmaster 145.022-68 Transitional

1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Mar 2, 2019

Nice one is up for sale today - a rare 145.022-68 transitional Speedy. These don't come up all that often and when they do, they're not usually this nice. I bought this for the bracelet, as I already have a very nice -68, so listing this as a head-only sale. Condition report below:

Dial:
    The 145.022-68 transitional models are visually identical to the preceding 145.012-67 reference, with stepped dials, applied metal logos, and long indices. This particular dial is in great shape with vibrant, creamy patina and all indices intact. The photos should speak for themselves.

Hands: Hands have aged to a slightly darker shade of patina, though the lume reacts to UV light in a similar way as the dial and I believe them to be original to the watch. Handset is in good shape overall.

Case: When I originally bought the watch, the prior owner had the entire case finished in a matte effect, which was...quite offputting. Thankfully, the lugs were still very thick, so I sent the watch to LA Watchworks to be restored to its OEM polishing. As you can see, the case is now razor sharp and came out beautifully. Caseback is original and was not touched or restored in any way.

Bezel / Crown:
    Original "dot over ninety" bezel is in terrific shape. I don't think I need to point out the value of the bezel alone in today's market. Original "flat foot" crown as well.

Movement: The only difference between this and the 145.012 was the transition to a caliber 861 movement, which is keeping good time and is in the correct serial range (265574XX). All chronograph functions work correctly (start, stop, and reset) and the crown winds smoothly. The watch is being sold as-is, however, and service is recommended eventually by the buyer.

Accessories: None - the watch is being sold head only. The strap shown here in the pictures is simply to help visualize how great it looks ;)

My asking price is $9,000, which includes fully insured Fedex Priority shipping. Payment via PayPal (F&F or add 3% if using PP) or direct bank wire. US sale strongly preferred. Face-to-face in Chicago is also welcome for local buyers. Finally, I have plenty of references available as a buyer and seller that I can provide if necessary. Thanks for looking and thanks to OF for the space.
    3-1-19-7.jpg 3-2-19-1.jpg 3-1-19-1.jpg 3-1-19-2.jpg 3-1-19-4.jpg 3-2-19-2.jpg 3-1-19-5.jpg 3-1-19-3.jpg 3-1-19-8.jpg 3-1-19-6.jpg

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 2, 2019

A very nice! Is something else coming in? :)

3. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Mar 2, 2019

Nope, bought it for the full/mint 1039 that it came with so I could finally have one for my existing -68.

Seaborg, WurstEver and sdre like this.
  4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 2, 2019

That’s some mighty impressive refinishing on the case. If you hadn’t have mentioned it, I think nobody would have guessed. Lovely watch. GLWS.

Seaborg, Alexwatchmad and bazamu like this.
  5. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Mar 2, 2019

Definitely. They have a reputation as the best in the business for a good reason. And yes, there are probably a lot of dealers who would have it refinished and simply list the case as "mint condition." As a collector, however, I want the next buyer to have full transparency on everything. Also, I paid a pretty penny to bring this case back to its former glory!

6. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Mar 3, 2019

@ChicagoFrog Hi, do you mind sharing where the strap is from? Thanks

KP-99 and maanu like this.
  7. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Mar 3, 2019

The strap is from Hodinkee (the Davenport)

Dial & Bezel and Mods like this.
  8. OMEGuy Mar 3, 2019

What a beauty! ::love::

Make sure you really want to sell it. If you can, take others first - a piece like this will hardly come again...

astrand likes this.
  9. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Mar 3, 2019

@ChicagoFrog Thanks

KP-99 likes this.
  10. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Mar 3, 2019

I already have one in similar condition - otherwise, this wouldn't be leaving. ;)

OMEGuy likes this.
  11. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Mar 5, 2019

Bump

12. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Mar 5, 2019

OHPF - thanks OF and everyone who expressed interest

nonuffinkbloke, oddboy and sdre like this.