Forums Latest Members

Omega speedmaster 1143 winding and time setting issue. Advice appreciated.

1. blackcat23 Aug 20, 2013

Hi again guys. I picked up a reduced Speedmaster with an 1143 movement. I bought it on the bay without a stem or crown. I was able to order the parts from Ofrei.com and replace them. I was careful to pull the remainder of the broken stem out to the time setting position before depressing the catch and releasing the stem. I was able to replace the stem and everything appears to be in order, but when the stem is pulled out the the time setting position it seems to make a noise like the clutch wheel is just barely making contact with the setting mechanism, but not successfully turning the watch hands. Overall the push and pull of the stem appears to be a little loose and sloppy, not as crisp a transition between winding and setting as I'm used too. I've taken apart enough of the basic movement and winding assembly to see the clutch wheel and winding pinion, but nothing visually stands out, other than the clutch wheel appears like it should possibly move a bit closer the setting mechanism when the stem is pulled, but I'm not sure how to make that happen. Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks

2. John R Smith Aug 20, 2013

It sounds to me like you need to take a trip to a good watchmaker ;)

3. blackcat23 Aug 20, 2013

Does anyone know of a diagram explaining how the levers that slide the castle wheel should work?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 21, 2013

So how are you getting at the winding/setting parts? Have you removed the module from the dial side?

Your description makes me think you have disassembled from the train side, which is not how you get to the setting parts.

So, using my crystal ball to diagnose over the internet, I'm going to say the spring on the setting lever jumper is not engaged properly:

[​IMG]

If this part of the jumper is not placed properly on the "yoke" then the "sliding pinion" will not engage properly with the "setting wheel".

Cheers, Al

5. simon Aug 21, 2013

HAIL to this man. He,s the goldmine knowledge of omega watches.

6. blackcat23 Aug 21, 2013

Thanks Al, That's one crystal ball you have there. I disassembled enough to remove the clutch wheel and winding pinion. After taking it apart again the other day I noticed that the (I apologize for my lack of terminology) lever which appears to be attached to the detent that I depressed to release the stem was in between setting and winding positions. I was able to use tweezers to push it out the setting position before placing the stem once again. The winding and setting now works correctly (apparently watch parts need to engage properly in order to work :) ) You are correct that I didn't remove enough of the parts to uncover the setting jumper and spring. I would like to have it fully serviced eventually, but it works well for now. On a side note, what should a service on an 1143 movement run typically? Thanks again for your help.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 22, 2013

Whatever Omega charges....since Omega will not sell me any parts for the module, I don't service these. They only offer me the option of a movement exchange, so I don't bother.

Cheers, Al