Forums Latest Members
  1. agmtflyer May 5, 2018

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased an Omega Speedmaster 105.012-66 CB.
    After more research on this watch it seems to be this case produced by CB in year 1966 has a special feature which is a flat facet on the lugs.
    Now the thing is that my example does not have this feature but the case is still extremely thick with original finish.

Then I looked in the Moonwatch only book which said:
    "Please note that some of the 105.012-66 cases of La Centrale Boites have had this particularity removed. It is likely that the ledges were considered unattractive so that they were filed away in one or several polishing operations."

So I want to ask if there are other owners who has no flat facet on their 66 speedy?
    Also does not having this feature affects the value of the watch a lot?

thanks everyone for your input! cheers!

thumbnail_IMG_4890.jpg

2. agmtflyer May 5, 2018

the case back is correct saying -66 CB and serial movement is 249XXXX which also is correct. I am waiting for my extract of archives :)

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 5, 2018

So here we are presented with a 105.012-CB caseback, with later bezel, chrono hand, pushers and bezel. So not off to a great start, if what you were offered was a fine, good or original watch. It has too many non original (to the watch) parts, and indeed those parts replaced are not to original spec. So already my alarms are going off, and now we see no facet lines on the case.

I would suggest a good trawl around the internet and satisfy yourself it is indeed a 105.012-66CB mid case.

It probably is, and I only say this as you have the watch in hand and I don't. My speedy-sense is only going on what I can see.The HF case is quite a different shape on the lugs, but it is hard to tell on these photos.

The next thing you will want to confirm is the unlikely idea that it is as different mid case altogether. Why do I want to do that? Because the pushers look new, and possibly screw in. I could be wrong, but it is a hunch, and these are all ideas to be eliminated and put away once and for all so you go forward knowing what you have bought.

Next I notice the square end chrono hand, so it has had attention. Then I notice the new bezel. This watch has the smell of a put - together, I am sorry to say, though happy to be slapped away with knowledge that I could probably get by handling the watch and comparing it in hand with others.

It is better to assume the worst, investigate, and be proved that there is nothing to worry about.

In this case, my speedy glands are tingling.

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 5, 2018

A CB case that has the lugs filed/ polished off will not be attractive to collectors. It will ding the value by a bit -- maybe $2k or $2.5k USD.

Your watch also has a DNN bezel, not the original DON. That is another $2k ding.

EDIT -- Spacefruit posted a much more thorough analysis of the watch while I was writing my post.

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 5, 2018

The good news is after checking my records, that 249x xxxxx occurs only in speedmasters - no seamasters I have seen (though that does not make it certain).

However about half are 105.003's

The extract will be good.

As to value, i could not value this watch beyond the movement and dial, as it stands and with what we know.

Happy to be proved wrong.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  6. agmtflyer May 5, 2018

thank you Spacefruit and BlackTalon. I am about to post more pictures for further examination....

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  7. Screwbacks May 5, 2018

im curious. where did buy the watch? is this your 1st speedy?

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 5, 2018

Here are some lugs
    1-P5050006.jpg

nonuffinkbloke and smitty190373 like this.
  9. agmtflyer May 5, 2018

Etp095 likes this.
  10. agmtflyer May 5, 2018

I knew the watch did not had the DON bezel ( i am not really fussed about it), the pushers I realised later they should be more flat, crown seems to be allright. The only things that bothers me is the case not having facet flat lugs eventhough the moonwatch book does mention it is possible.
    Are there any other ways to check if the case is for the 105.012 as there are no serial number on it?

I paid about 7k USD for it and I wonder if i should return it or not? (I am friends with the dealer)

Thanks for all the input everyone. I really appreciate it! :)

11. Davidt May 5, 2018

Unfortunately I don't think that's a CB case. Even one that has been polished.

CBs tend to have a much thinner side profile and then a thicker facet on the underside of the tip of the lugs. This case exhibits neither of these traits.

LeoneFM and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 5, 2018

Note also the pushers, compared to the OP watch.

Have a look at the overall presence of the lugs, the shape of the flat surfaces, it is a long way from the OP watch. Unless the OP watch had a repolish, it is hard to imagine how a CB case went to this:

1-556933-73f05d81fecc7d15731cc28a37c4ea1c.jpg
    From this:
    1-P5050006-001.jpg

13. agmtflyer May 5, 2018

14. Screwbacks May 5, 2018

15. agmtflyer May 5, 2018

So will it be true that this is a case from a different reference?

LeoneFM likes this.
  16. agmtflyer May 5, 2018

So the chrono hand I can source one, the DON bezel i do not worry about that, the pushers I can also source but will it fit this case?
    At 7k USD, or will it be better to just return the watch? hmm

17. abrod520 May 5, 2018

Personally I would return at that price, without second thought. For the 7k you spent on it it would take quite a bit more money to bring it to attractive correct spec, and good original watches can be had for less than the combined amount you’d end up spending.

18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 5, 2018

Value the parts:

Movement: $1800 - 3000
    Dial: $2000-4000

But FAR more important, who did you buy it from and what did they say?
    Because someone, somewhere, threw this watch together.

19. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 5, 2018

::facepalm1::

No, you're not

Seaborg, cristos71, MaiLollo and 5 others like this.
  20. smitty190373 May 5, 2018