Forums Latest Members
  1. sulaco Jan 29, 2014

http://goo.gl/1rbdkg

I know it looks like a pretty original piece, but the price is by far the highest i have seen, isn´t it?
    Additionally it seems like they did work with the lighting on the picture, because the bracelet looks almost golden.

So what do you say, is this the pricerange we have to expect in the future?

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 29, 2014

can not open it in ebay?

3. sulaco Jan 29, 2014

::confused2::the item number is 151213212504

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 29, 2014

Ok now I can open it. It might be just a blip in the market. If at least 3 average condition (like the one you showed) fetched that price, then I would call it a new price range.

5. sulaco Jan 29, 2014

Ok, understand your view, but you have to keep in mind that this one was available for the german market only. What would have happened
    if it was avaible for the whole worldwide market :eek:

6. richardew Jan 29, 2014

I can't find the listing. What did it go for?

7. sulaco Jan 29, 2014

4,5k Euro :eek:

8. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 29, 2014

I have been following these now for a few months. I can't see the listing, but unless it was in phenomenal condition then 4,500 Euro is a blip. Average condition 105.003 have been selling on eBAY considerably lower than that.

9. sulaco Jan 29, 2014

Try the item number 151213212504 in the search function, it looks just all original but not in perfect condition.
    How come that nobody can find the auction? :confused: When i click on the link, its working fine :(

10. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 29, 2014

You have to search the item number under eBay Germany.

11. richardew Jan 29, 2014

Thanks Gavin. Now I see it. The case is a bit worn. It has the correct bezel and it's in decent shape. I don't know about the dial. It looks like it might have been relumed at some point. If you look closely at the hour markers, you can see the white rectangular outline of the markers under the lume, and the ends of the lume (towards the middle of the watch) are rounded and not square. The crown is original as is the bracelet. There aren't many photos of the watch and none of the movement or of the back (which has an inscription). All in all, I'd agree that the price is high, but not out of sight. The prices always seem high when I'm looking to buy and low when I'm looking to sell.

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 29, 2014

:D

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 29, 2014

This is precisely the kind of watch that is valued.....an apparent "barn find" .

However in spite of its initial appearance as an unrestored example, from an estate, it shows some dial work. So not so much a barn find maybe, but it does look relatively left alone.

Its not from a dealer in watches, (although he has sold other watches, I suspect they are all from the same estate). The seller sells shirts and odd bits. He does not seem to be a dealer in watches, perhaps he is an estate hunter. And it is an auction. I always like an open auction.

it shows a healthy amount of use, but no recent restoration. The hessalite is scratched and used. Buyers seem to be valuing this more than freshly restored examples. (As do I). While it looks worn, it is not worn out.

There are only two photos, so the buyer is taking a punt on the movement and the rear condition. Something I would do, given the look of what I see so far. For a price.

however I think the high bidders have made an error of judgement. Rich is correct in spotting the re lume, and on a watch like this where the value is heavily influenced by the dial, I feel the buyer will regret this purchase. I don't see this watch comparing with some of the ones sold recently in the market, which sold for less. However while dealers are asking higher prices for 003's I am not sure that they are selling. Though I think that is a yet.

in its favour are the case condition, which is good, the correct bezel, and the 7912 bracelet which to my surprise seems to be worth upwards of $1000 on its own.

i also note that prices of straight lug speedmasters have strengthened of late, and there are very few on the market.

So it is entirely possible the buyer is actually not so crazy!

but I can tell you this buyer wouldn't have bought it because of the dial condition.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  14. Unwound Jan 29, 2014

Prices seem to be up at least a $1000 on any 321 powered speedmaster from a year ago. I would imagine all step-dial pre-moon 861's will follow suit.

15. marturx Jan 29, 2014

Lovely 105.003. I don't believe in that it has been relumed. Considering that it came with a 7912 bracelet, I cannot regard the price as surprisingly high for a pre-pro Speedy in such a great condition

Dablitzer, Unwound and stefan like this.
  16. sulaco Jan 30, 2014

Actually i also don´t believe that it is relumed.
    I really love to hear all opinion and thoughts but sometimes i think you are a bit quick with saying that a dial looks relumed.
    For instance when we are talking about first owner watches. This one and the rest of the watches the seller has listed is part of a
    inheritage as far a i understood and if you look at the condition of hands, case and bracelet you can pretty well see that it looks unrestored
    so why should only the dial be relumed.
    I also get pretty cautious when i see a watch beeing sold by a professional vendor on ebay or on various sales fora, but in this case it rather looks like if you would buy a watch personally from a private person, that usually has no interest in watches at all, somebody who was just lucky
    in finding (inherited) something pretty valuable.
    I bet he was quite surprised that this watch went throu the roof like this.
    Lume can degrade into various conditions over the years, depending on the humidity, temperature it can smear, shrink, swell, crumble and change its state of shape into various forms.
    And yes it can also be redone ;)

stefan and Unwound like this.
  17. Unwound Jan 30, 2014

I would tend to agree. Sometimes it seems the call out on most every speedy posted is, oh, it's been relumed. Even if the hands are a match and are crumbling away it's regarded as a relume. Last I checked the hour markers didn't matter if you don't know where the hands are.

18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 30, 2014

I am very happy to be corrected on the re lume. I am not 100% certain I am wrong, but I am equally open to persuasion, by reasoned and sensible points as have been put here.

Perhaps I need to be more careful and just say, unattractive plots, rather than calling a re lume. After all it is perfectly true I cannot know. The plots on this watch do look awful, compared to many other 105.003's.

Now is it my imagination or are there a few 105.003's coming onto the market, at quite strong prices?

19. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 30, 2014

Yup. Mine says high. Pun intended (regarding price not physical state ;) ).

This one was on the outskirts of my price threshold. Then when my bank gave me the exchange rate for the wire, I nearly choked when I calculated what I was about to pay all totaled.

I have worn it all but one day since it arrived, so I'm pretty stoked to finally have a straight lug...

[​IMG]

Gavin, Spacefruit and Darlinboy like this.
  20. richardew Jan 30, 2014

It's hard to call with limited photos. Besides, the photos are in German and my eyes don't see German!

Spacefruit likes this.