Forums Latest Members

Omega Snoopy 45th anniversary of Apollo 13

1. Japanred Apr 21, 2016

Hi all,

First post on here but long time lurker.

I currently own a 2012 Omega Seamaster which was my first ever Omega. I wear it almost every day and absolutely love it, however I have been looking for something else for the past 12 months (I won't be selling the Seamaster though) and the recent Omega Snoopy 45th anniversary Apollo 13 has caught my eye. I know that these have sold out everywhere and wasn't one of the lucky ones who picked one up at under £5000; I'm reserved to the fact that I'm going to have to pay more than that if I now want one.

My question is, these are fetching silly money at the minute (£8-13k). Will they likely increase further or will they start to drop in price as the initial excitement subsides?

I'm certainly not in it to flip (missed the boat anyway). If I buy it will never be sold and will pass down to my children. I am tempted to buy at approx £8500 but am in no rush and would happily wait a year or so if they are likely to drop from this astronomical value.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Smspectre Apr 21, 2016

Hi

I'm after one too. I missed the order so will wait a few month and hopefully they will drop. Same as you I would pay £8-8.5k for a new with tags etc but not had any joy with offers I have made.
    Let's hope they drop. :)

3. Japanred Apr 21, 2016

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting married in March 2017 so would be nice to get one close to Christmas as a wedding present to myself.

Do you mind me asking how much you have offered?

4. abrod520 Apr 21, 2016

I have a feeling they'll go back down - there were crazy delays in production resulting in some very impatient buyers, and generally more buyers than sellers. However, once everyone who ordered one originally gets it, we'll see some start to sell them, and then prices will return to normal. This is what I believe will happen, but I could be wrong since it appears the cartoon dog on the dial appeals to a wider audience than most LE Speedmasters do.
    However, it should be noted that while you see many people asking $20k or $15k (nowadays $13k), it doesn't necessarily mean that people are eventually buying at that price.

incursore61 and SpikiSpikester like this.
  5. Japanred Apr 21, 2016

I hope you are right, and yeah that's a very good point RE advertised price vs. actual sale price.

I'll keep an eye out over the coming months.

6. Smspectre Apr 21, 2016

I have been offering £7500 but seem to get no joy. Some greedy people out there

Have you thought about the ck2998. I have that one coming in July.

7. abrod520 Apr 21, 2016

In a few months, I think they'll be kicking themselves for turning that down - and anyone who was impatient enough to buy one for these inflated prices will, too.

Similar thing happened with the Seamaster 300 Spectre LE - they were offered for $10k at first, but quickly fizzled down to around $8 nowadays.

SpikiSpikester and Smspectre like this.
  8. Japanred Apr 21, 2016

I've looked at the ck2998 but it's blue and so is my Seamaster. I can't justify two blue watches so wanted something a bit different this time. Was tempted by a green submariner at one point but wouldn't want people at work knowing I had a Rolex. At least with Omega most people don't have a clue how much it's cost.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you.

Rob

9. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 21, 2016

Apollo 13 landed today...

I don't think prices will drop to near retail (£4630) they are just too sought after. Personally after the long wait its lost a little 'panache' but I'm sure it will grow. At the moment its just sat there still in its box.

It does however sit next to my 2003 Snoopy lovely!

[​IMG]

Edited Apr 21, 2016
    Kim, FrPaul69, Number6 and 3 others like this.
  10. Japanred Apr 21, 2016

Looks great mate. I'm sure I could take it off your hands if it's not all you expected/wanted?

I don't expect prices to drop to sub £5000 but I'd be happy if they approached £6000.

11. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 21, 2016

Thanks - It was not a post to say 'Im selling' just a post to kinda say they are slowly starting to filter through now from case back issues etc.

Ive only had it 8 hours so not had a proper chance to look at it etc. The stickers are still on it too!

I think 6k is about right to what prices will fall to, the crazy prices people have been paying is nothing short of bonkers! After all its a steel Speedmaster!

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  12. Japanred Apr 21, 2016

Haha I was only joking, although you know where I am if you change your mind. Enjoy it.

13. repoman Apr 21, 2016

I don't think Snoopy buyers have been impatient... many are still waiting despite having paid OVER a year ago. This, and the overall watch market craziness will keep Snoopy prices high.... I used to say they would come down too, but look at the market dynamics. Have you seen what folks are asking for the first Snoopy watch, which IMHO is less value than the new Snoopy. I don't see the new Snoopy dropping much unless the overall market starts coming down.

14. drdang99 Apr 21, 2016

The price definitely has gone down from its peak. Definitely under 13k now. I got mine lower than 13k but sucks I paid more than retail

15. Neil McRae Apr 22, 2016

Here in the UK a couple of us have been told by the OB that Omega halved the number of watches coming to the UK and that people who had paid had to be refunded. There is doubt that this full 1970 are going to be made.

16. Smspectre Apr 22, 2016

Or the boutique managers/staff are buying them to re-sell.

17. lillatroll Apr 22, 2016

One future issue, is that all those who paid over the odds, will want to recoup as much as possible back when and if they decide to sell. With so much chioce out there, hopefully buyers won t pay it and prices will return to a sensible level. I think paying over the odds, is a daft idea right now because tastes change and something more desirable comes along. The classic speedmaster will always be desirable because it has a clean simple and classic design that is hard to improve on, watches such as the snoopy and the Ck2998 a subject to buyers whims and rare doesn t always mean desirable. The Omega Bullhead is rare, atleast rarer than a snoopy or a CK2998, 669 peices for each design, you can hardly give them away. I would wait for a couple of years to let the market settle and buy something else in the mean time. It also gives you the excuse to buy something else while you're u are waiting.

18. Japanred Apr 22, 2016

There's lots of people who buy nice watches and don't mind taking a loss when they sell, same as they do with cars. Tastes will always change, even on classics, not just LE's. I don't want to get into the habit of having loads of watches, as I'm not planning to ever sell whatever I buy, so don't really want to "buy to put me on".

19. Japanred Sep 25, 2016

Update: There doesn't seem to have been any change in prices since I started this thread in April. Assume the prices have hardened and are unlikely to drop below £9000 now? Thoughts?

20. Smspectre Sep 25, 2016

I finally got one. Just kept on making lower offers and finally did a deal. Bnib with all covers in tact.
    Thing is I haven't opened it yet as I feel I paid too much and don't want to de-value it. Why I don't know as I don't buy to sell.

Jaacck, CharlesGenta and larryganz like this.