Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

Usually its a Rolex look for the sub, but as the cheapest way to mix some orange into a blue bond chrono, its not a bad look ;)

Straps: $10/ea shipped off eBay
    Burgeon 6111 tool: $60 shipped from Ofrei
    Standing out like a council worker's jacket: Priceless

photo-2.jpg a885831c.jpg a70bbfc5.jpg

amikee and Camguy like this.
  2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

Not a NATO fan myself, but the orange actually works quite well with the blue SMPC bezel.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

The slight problem is that without the bracelet, you've got a 180g watch on 5g of nylon, so it does flop a bit, also the springbars on the SMPC are halfway up the case, so it wraps deeply under and up the other side.

The SMPC actually has two sets of lugholes for the springbar, if you are mounting the endlinks, it uses a set of holes right down near the bottom of the case, but if you're strapped it uses the set up top, further out from the case, same set of springbars though.

4. Rockmastermike Mar 25, 2011

like the Bond look, I did it in ZULU instead of NATO but still achieves a good look. here is my 3570 on gray/black

[​IMG]

Trev likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2011

Looks good Mike, don't usually see the Speedy on a NATO, but with the simple design of it, you can really put it on any strap and it looks good, much like the Rolex Submariner.

I still need to buy a Speedmaster... why do I never get around to it?!?

6. omegagmt Mar 30, 2011

Just put mine on a bond nato.
    [​IMG]
    Got 5 more maratac zulu straps on the way.

Camguy likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2011

Nice man, that Great White GMT would look BRILLIANT on orange for the contrast ;)

8. omegagmt Mar 30, 2011

This is my favorite combo; on a maroon maratac zulu. Spotted this on another forum.
    [​IMG]

67ViP likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2011

You can rock just about anything on the Great White, its /another/ of my favorite's.

Two problems:

1: Omega never made them in particularly large numbers
    2: Omega discontinued them some time ago

Which is a bit sad really since the current Omega GMT options are somewhat lacking, the Bond GMT doesn't even have a 24h bezel.

I almost bought one of those in about 85% condition for $800 a few years ago, but recently they've jumped up around the $1500-$2000 mark due to their demand and scarcity. Definitely don't part with that one (unless you want to do me a deal on it ;))

10. omegagmt Mar 30, 2011

Here's another; from another forum
    [​IMG]

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2011

Not quite digging the green, bit more of a military look which suits the sub, I reckon bold colors really pop against that white!

12. omegagmt Mar 30, 2011

The Great White model will definitely be a nice sought after vintage one day.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2011

I think especially the all brushed version. There are actually two variants that I've seen, one has the bog standard Speedmaster bracelet with the polished center links, which makes maintenance a bit harder. The other version, use on the later production versions of the Great White has a fully brushed bracelet without polished center links, which means you can just brush any scratches out easily like a Submariner, as a daily watch that can get knocked around, you can't get much better than that.

14. omegagmt Mar 30, 2011

Never seen the other variant with the polished bracelet. Do you happen to have a photo of this?

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2011

I've only seen the one, and it was a very early one, it was literally a full Speedmaster bracelet with a Seamaster clasp. But the promotional images show it as if its polished which is a bit odd.

gmt.jpg

16. rxpete Mar 30, 2011

I saw this photo also. It's off the omega website. I thought it looked polished also until I compared it to the bracelet of the electric blue which really is polished.

http://www.omegawatches.com/fileadmin/images/watches/soldier-detail/22558000-20.png

That's the link.

17. rxpete Mar 30, 2011

I love that combo. The red is great. The green looks good as well. Today is the fist time I'm seeing the great white on anything other than the bracelet. I've been debating what else to put it on and I think I just found it. Initially I thought of brown leather but this is much nicer.

I'm glad you posted the price these are selling for recently. I just bought a NOS this summer and thought I got ripped off. It really ruined my initial experience of the watch. That and the fact that I was used to a bigger PO 45.4mm and an even bigger Breitling Motors T. Now as time goes on, I like it more and more.

Anyway, I payed $2200.00 usd for it total after all taxes. I guess that's not too much more than what you just posted.
    The sales person saw my excitement when I saw it and took advantage a bit. He said the msrp was around $3300 and that I was getting a "classic". I mentioned that the msrp was never that high and was lucky to get it down as much as I did.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2011

Well yea, the thing is those sword hand GMTs were the only real credible alternative to the Rolex GMT-Master. Omega has still never made a GMT version of the Planet Ocean, and to be honest, I think the reason is that they really can't from an aesthetic point of view due to the fact that the PO already has arrow head hands, and GMT hands are always an arrow as close to the bezel as is possible, which works fine with sword hands (or the Mercedes hands on Rolex GMT-Masters) but simply doesn't work on Broad-Arrow hands.

The Speedmaster Broad-Arrow GMT only works because they've shrunk the normal hands down and removed most of the lume from them to make the 24 hand stand out. The Bond GMT is also a bit of a non-starter because it only supports GMT time, not other time-zones as it has the elapsed time bezel rather than the 24H timezone bezel. This means the sword hand Seamaster GMTs are really all there is, and of them, the white's the most unique and interesting looking by far.

19. rxpete Mar 30, 2011

I see what you're saying. You're right the white is really nice.

What I meant to say in my post though is that I love the great white on the red and green nato. It's such a great look.

20. omegagmt Apr 2, 2011

I love this watch. Now wearing it on a black maratac nato
    [​IMG]