Forums Latest Members

Omega SMP service in GB - looking for real world positive recommendations please

1. tikkathree Jun 22, 2018

I'm not convinced that my skellington hands Bond SMP runs to the full reserve of 48 hours and also the bezel is bi-directional with a couple of sticky points so my mind drifts towards a service. Neither issue cause me great anxiety, either by themselves or together. The watch runs fine on the wrist and keeps very good time.

I need to be a bit more rigorous in my analysis and give the watch another two, maybe three test runs in the coming days.

I don't want a service company who will entreat me to replace bezel insert/dial/hands/crystal just because that's their default setting. Dial, case and hands are good, I can't see any marks on the crystal and the minor scuff on the insert is not an issue to me.

For non-Omega work I've been using a lovely gentleman in Wales and whilst I have no doubts about his technical skills it's my choice to try a service company who have some kind of credibility/standing/business relationship with Omega.

I've recently used a London company whose name includes the word LUXURY and without spelling out why, my preference is to try another company this time. (Why did I try that company? Well, I blame myself for asking google.)

So if you've recently used a service company in GB whom you can heartily recommend, I'd love to hear from you.

2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 22, 2018

I can thoroughly recommend Jody at Watchkings in Devon. Very reasonable prices and he will do only what you want doing.

tikkathree likes this.
  3. tikkathree Jun 23, 2018

Anyone else? No?

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 23, 2018

Nobody except Omega themselves would insist on any parts being changed so you can stop stressing about that. There are dozens of options available to you ranging from quite expensive but fully tooled up with parts access like Swiss Time Services to cheap but no parts such as The Watch Bloke or Watchguy. Or somewhere in between like Genesis who have parts acess but don't charge the earth. You probably only need a click spring to fix the bi-directional bezel but that is a part and if Cousins don't stock it, the really cheap guys can't get it.

To a certain extent, you get what you pay for. You have a £1,500 watch, don't expect the service to be £50, the non-accredited guys start at about £125 and go upwards from there, the accredited guys more like £250 up. Then you have Omega themselves at around £450

Edited Jun 23, 2018
    connieseamaster likes this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 23, 2018

6. tikkathree Jun 23, 2018

I'm obliged to you for taking the trouble. I'm not "stressing" about the repairer wanting to "improve" my watch by changing stuff I don't want changing but I had to fend off the last service company used who applied that very approach and either hadn't read the content of my email commissioning their work or simply thought they'd try it on.

I don't begrudge paying the going rate but with little experience to fall back on I welcome your inputs - cheers!

Obliged, thank you.

7. Thegreatroberto Jun 25, 2018

Try watchfinders service centre in Maidstone. Did my speedy and seamaster. They are an authorised Omega service centre. But without (quite) the Omega Southampton cost etc. And if you do need parts, they can get them. The watch will be away 5 weeks. And of course you can post it to/from them. Details at the bottom of their web site home page.

tikkathree likes this.
  8. Bernardino Jun 26, 2018

Not sure where you are based but I used Mallory’s in Bath for my AT. They have in house Omega approved technicians.

I was happy with the results and the price

9. Davidt Jun 26, 2018

STS in Essex