Forums Latest Members
  1. Horologyhusky Jan 26, 2017

Hi there,

Any watchco sm300 owners can help me with this?

I do know what the original sm300 comes w the naiad crown (not nipple looking one), any possibility to fit it on a watchco 300?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

2. micampe Jan 26, 2017

A watchmaker can probably do it, but certainly not easily: it's bigger so the case would need to be modified to make room for it and a new threaded crown tube installed.

3. Dash1 Jan 26, 2017

I'm not a watchmaker, but I suspect you can fit a non screw case tube and the non screw crown no problem.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 26, 2017

Is it possible? Yes but it would be costly to have done. I think micampe has it backwards - you want the non-screw down case tube installed for the NAIAD crown. The case tube in the 1660324 case is not easily replaced because it is a soldered in case tube. It would have to be drilled out (trust me there are alignment issues involved in doing this that make it more complex than it sounds) and then the non-screw down case tube would have to be installed. You would have to find someone with the equipment and skills to do the job properly...this is a lot of work just to change the crown...

Cheers, Al

Dash1 likes this.
  5. Horologyhusky Jan 26, 2017

Thanks Al, looks like I have to scrap the idea of doing that.

6. micampe Jan 26, 2017

That is obviously correct, micampe typed too early in the morning.

7. Dash1 Jan 27, 2017

Great insight as usual Al.
    So if you damage the thread on your 166.0324 case tube you've entered a whole world of pain! I wonder what the thinking was behind that move? I've never heard of any waterproofing problems with conventional fit tubes.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 27, 2017

Many vintage cases have soldered in tubes. I suppose they don't want to redesign the case considering it's not for a current production watch, and is really just a spare part...

Even some modern SMP's have had soldered in case tubes, and it's only more recently that they have gone to the threaded or press fitted tubes.