Forums Latest Members

Omega SM300 Watchco bezelproblems

1. PaulK86 Oct 5, 2016

Godmorning (from Sweden)
    I just bought this SM300 Watchco, and i noticed that the bezel isnt in its right place.
    It functions perfectly but the minute markers doesnt hit right with the dial.

Either its the dial thats set wrong or the bezelinsert is wrongly put to place.
    Is this an easy fix, can i remove de bezel and set it right myself or do i have to take it to a servicecenter/watchmaker who checks both the dial and the bezel?
    Aprriciate the answers. IMG_1141.JPG

2. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 5, 2016

Just eyeballing it, I'd say that the dial looks properly aligned, but the bezel insert is off. Your local omega-certified watchmaker can get that bezel off easy, but as far as shifting the insert over slightly, I doubt most would be willing to do that job. Local watch shops I checked with just wanted to pop on a new bezel.

Once the bezel is separated from the case (honestly more difficult to do at home vs a speedy bezel--unless you're willing to risk damage with a knife), you could try following this to pop out and realign the insert:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/how-to-separate-an-omega-speedmaster-insert-from-a-bezel.46387/
    At least with newer seamaster bezels, there's no specific spot to lock it into--you can move the insert in the bezel as you please (probably the same with your vintage seamaster). You might need the press to get the insert back on the bezel, but I don't think the press would be used to get the bezel back on that Seamaster case.

It would be a lot easier to just return it or send it back so they can do the work. Since it's a new purchase, it really shouldn't cost more than the price of shipping to resolve? I honestly wouldn't have any work done on it which might invalidate your right to a return--if there was any chance you'd go that route.

Edited Oct 5, 2016
    blubarb likes this.
  3. PaulK86 Oct 5, 2016

Thankyou for the suggestions.
    But I actually bought it from a forummember on a swedish forum.

I will check if a watch shop in gothenburg would like to take on this mission.

4. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 5, 2016

How was it purchased? Bank/wire transfer? Paypal (or something like it)? If the former, you're on your own. If the latter, you might still be within the timeframe for a return. Assuming the issue wasn't properly explained to you: most CC's allow 3 months from post date to file a chargeback, and PayPal is something like 6 months now (at least in the USA) for anything not as described...

5. sydneywatchguy Oct 5, 2016

Pretty common with Watchco 300s

mokofoko and blubarb like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 5, 2016

Replacement bezel is really the only sure fire solution...

blubarb and mokofoko like this.
  7. PaulK86 Oct 5, 2016

Just found another thread with this qwuestion.
    but thanks everyone.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 5, 2016

I had the same issue with mine, was slightly off though not as much as this one, just had to live with it

mokofoko likes this.
  9. Perseus Oct 5, 2016

Damn! Mine is slightly off also and I assumed it was an easy fix.

10. blubarb Oct 6, 2016

If you have a SM300 Watchco you will most likely have this issue, I believe the problem was with the service bezels being sold by Omega at the time. I just move it the 1/2 click so it sits aligned if I feel the need but most of the time I don't worry...if it worries you buy another bezel.

mokofoko likes this.
  11. blubarb Oct 6, 2016

C
    Can you provide a link to that thread so others can be assured that this is a common issue with the early Australian Watchco SM300s based on an Omega service dial fault for a long period.

Edited Oct 7, 2016
    Perseus and mokofoko like this.
  12. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 7, 2016

It probably is. I had my spare SMP bezel off, took me less than 5 minutes to determine the proper case-press dies, separate the insert from the bezel, reposition, and press them back together. The hard part is getting the bezel separated from the case--a watchmaker probably wouldn't charge much for that?

After comparing images of several of the same model, it appears that there's no set place to line up the bezel/insert. I'd highly recommend making two small marker marks for the corrected boundary locations of 0 for easy repositioning after separation (ie 0.5mm to the left in this case). Then a couple of swipes of rubbing alcohol on the bezel edge to remove the marker residue. Otherwise, you may end up being off again and repeating ad nauseam.

Good idea BigMan/Ace/Smeghead. Second this, just in case someone needs the same question answered in the future. Would be interested to know whether you found an easy fix.

Edited Oct 7, 2016
    blubarb likes this.