Forums Latest Members

Omega sm300 gen1 - Keep,restore, sell, restore then sell!

1. baudsenseless Jul 18, 2014

I'm in a bit of a quandry at the moment and unsure what to do,
    I have a omega sm300 Ref 165014-64 SC, that I have just sitting awaiting restoration, and wearing.
    I've decided I fancy a new car (well a 90's landy defender) so looking at what I have sitting around doing nothing.
    Should I Keep her......... with the release of the new sm300 "reissue" this can only go up in value.Good thing to have as a backup. I'd find it hard to find another!
    Sell her as is........ Means someone can get it restored to their own standard (polished/ not polished etc) If I did this, what would I expect her to sell for realistically at the moment?
    Sell her restored.......Get her fully purring and then part with her, get the omega history sheet thingy etc, this I would get the most cash for, but is it worth me doing? What would I expect to spend, and get back?

Sorry if that's a lot of questions, just really undecided!!

The watch.....
    Seamaster 300, 1st gen.165014-64 SC
    Missing bakalite bezel.
    Movement fully working, and running beautifully,
    Crown stem snapped at base of crown.
    Wear to the case back, original back.
    IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG IMG_0164.JPG

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 18, 2014

Historically "barn finds" or untouched examples fetch more than a restored example.

i suspect you could sell this for more untouched than what you would realize after restoration costs. The one thing I would get is a extract to prove its originality.

Good luck with it, and enjoy they landrover.

3. baudsenseless Jul 18, 2014

Where would be the best place to sell? auction? on here? what would be a sensible asking price?

it was a chance look on ebay, that has now got me looking at a landrover, I had an 80's one a while back, enjoyed that, just looking at something a bit more refined (if a landy can be called refined!) heart set on a 1998 110 csw 300tdi

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 18, 2014

I think you either sell as is or have it fully serviced including a bezel restore by Aldo in Italy (not cheap and takes many months to get done).

5. baudsenseless Jul 18, 2014

I've already contacted Aldo, for him to do the work, but he is on holiday at the moment. Wouldn't get any one else to do the work

6. baudsenseless Jul 19, 2014

What would be a senseable (good deal for me, and good deal for buyer) price to ask for this watch in the condition its in?

7. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jul 19, 2014

a member here just bought one. SULACO; ask him...... kind regards. achim